PDA

View Full Version : Making a Snuggle Sack - how?

Red Haired Girl
09-04-2006, 09:43 PM
I have one of those Martha Stewart sherpa/micro suede throws from K-Mart. I read in the CIJ threads about making snuggle sacks out of them but no directions were mentioned. Do I fold it in half width wise and sew up the sides? or is there more to it? I think Irma was the originator of this idea.

In looking at it, I can probably remove the blanket stitching, separating the 2 fabrics and embroider a name on it before I sew it together.

Any help/ idea is appreciated!

LUVMYGUNNER
09-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Tracy fold in 1/2 lenght wise inside out (Sherpa outside) sew together as if your making a pillow case then turn to suede side and you should have a snuggle sack. I would get some thin foam and make a cover or buy a pillow case and lay inside. Lets see a picture when you get done. I have 5 more of those blankies--LOL

Anatresia
09-04-2006, 09:54 PM
The one Butters and Rigby have is fleece on the outside and this big, chunky style fleece lining on the inside. I think the sides were just sewn up and flipped inside out. She also embroidered the front, like you said.

It seems pretty simple, but I suck at sewing, so I'd never try it!:rotfl:

LUVMYGUNNER
09-04-2006, 10:00 PM
When you get it all turn cuff over so you can see the sherpa. In the front about 2 inches.

Red Haired Girl
09-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Looking at it, it really doesn't make much difference if it is sewn length wise or width wise. It is almost square. I'll give it a shot. I know Mitch will use it. Low-la prefers a cushie bed.

Thanks for the help. I wonder if they came out with new colors this season? I bought this one on clearance for 8 dollars in the spring.

LUVMYGUNNER
09-04-2006, 10:34 PM
I bought 8 of them in different colors. They haven't come out yet-we don't have any yet. They came in blue, sage, brown and maroon. They are 50x60 so if you have a long doggy thats what I would go with 25x30.

LUVMYGUNNER
09-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Anxious to see what you can come up with--might sent you some of mine to do.

Mommy2Molly
09-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Can't wait to see pics just so I'll know what one is....
:scratch: so much to learn.
Glad I found ya'll.

Tex
09-06-2006, 09:35 AM
I have one of those blankets too. This might not be a bad idea. Let us know how it turns out?!

LUVMYGUNNER
09-06-2006, 09:55 AM
It should turn out real cute cause I did a search and a few of the snuggle sacks looked just like those blankies. I bought a bunch of them but haven't made any yet.

Molly2Molly do a search on cuddle sack, cuddle bag and it will give you an idea how they look,

Patt
09-07-2006, 09:33 PM
How did the snuggle sack turn out? :scratch: I hope you can post a pic.

Red Haired Girl
09-08-2006, 06:00 AM
Silly me! I had to rip the first row of -and I use the term loosely- stitching out. I knew that since it was such thick fabric my embroidery machine was not going to handle it, so I used my 1916 treadle machine. I had been cleaning it and forgot to readjust the presser foot pressure, so it made really big stitches and really little stitches. 60 inches worth!

Since then, I have found a new cabinet for another machine I have that is really more suited to the job that either of the other machines. I got it set up in the cabinet lastnight. It has a very high space under the needle for thicker fabrics and is a tank, built in 1955! I'll whip the sack up this weekend for sure and post some pictures.

Mama S.
09-11-2006, 08:15 PM
aaahheeemmmm - oh blankie goddess - the weekend is over - waiting on pics here:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Mama

Red Haired Girl
09-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Not even I could make up an excuse this good! DH was making a chip shot golfing on Sunday and threw his back out. He has been in the bed, in the room with my new, old machine :pout: so I couldn't :sew: in there. I'll make the sack as soon as I can get DH out of the other sack! But - good news for my ever patient people waiting on blankie orders - I have 6 made and will be shipping them the end of the week!

I have a quilt class tomorrow evening to try to figure out how to finish a special project I'm working on, then it will be time to start on Christmas ideas I have dancing in my head. Time flies!

LUVMYGUNNER
09-14-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm waiting to see what you came up with................

Red Haired Girl
09-14-2006, 02:44 PM
And I'm waiting for him to get out of the bed......

LUVMYGUNNER
09-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the laugh-that was cute Tracy. :)

JanUet
09-14-2006, 05:59 PM
*sings*

There's a man in the bed and the Red Haired Girl said...........

Get out so I can get my sewing done! :D :rotfl: :rotfl: