PDA

View Full Version : Should he be scolded?

quavec
09-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Cricket is a destuffer of his toys. Emphasis on HIS. He rarely chews what doesn't belong to him (well, except for the lip balm Fur got us and an eyeliner not too long ago). But, for the most part, he only chews on his stuff. And loves to destuff them.

DH scolds him for destuffing his things (Courtney's CIJ stuffie is the latest victim). I tell him that as long as it's his own things he's chewing on he is okay. DH tells me it's just like our human kids destroyng their toys. I say that our kids don't have a need to chew like Cricket does.

Along with the scolding, DH takes the toy and puts it up until Cricket can behave with it. Like he's in toy time out.

So, which is it? To scold or not to scold for destuffing?:scratch:

Linus
09-06-2006, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't scold him. He is acting on his instincts, he can't help that. As long as its his, let him at it!

That being said, if Bailey got a toy as a gift or it was expensive (rare!), I will encourage him NOT to destuff it for at least a week or so. After that, its fair game.

Jen
09-06-2006, 12:24 PM
He's just being a dog IMHO. Like chewey's, toys should not be seen as permanent, but a treat to release energy....

quavec
09-06-2006, 12:39 PM
THat's what I thought. DH acts like he is the one to clean up the guts of the toy :rolleyes: .

Tex
09-06-2006, 01:12 PM
ITA with everybody above. As long as it's his toys.....I say let him at 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!

lizzieb38
09-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Willie's pretty good about not destuffing, but if one of his toys i.e. Bobo, the ref, crabbie gets torn etc. it gets put up until the surgery ward opens again. He's very patient when they are in surgery. If they get torn again, THe surgeon (me) patches em up again. I don't scold him though.

jenfer
09-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Yea, I think as long as it's his toy and I don't whether you can teach them "only chew so much" and "not to destuff".

areese
09-06-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm for no scolding. They are his toys.

oceangirls
09-06-2006, 09:04 PM
IMO, I would DEFNITELY not scold him for destroying something that you give him! Dachshunds are hunters (although they behave that way to different degrees) and what he is doing is instinctive. Plus, then he is not destroying your furniture or shoes! :D

That being said, like your DH I hate seeing the toys torn up :rolleyes: (also Angel destroys things and then Cassie comes in and eats (yes, eats, the dog is starving) the fluff so I have to monitor very carefully). But I just mutter to myself and throw the pieces away.

also... I don't mean to be critical, but I think the only way you could compare a dog to a child here would be comparing it to a baby tearing up a toy. He wouldn't scold a baby! I am not saying a dog's mentality is equivalent to a baby's... but both have a totally different view of the world than we do and don't understand why mama doesn't want the "ear" (okay, it's a leaf) chewed off the carrot. The carrot is a hypothetical example for everyone but me... I think Cassie is cute carrying them around but Angel wants to scalp them and chew off the ears.

Patt
09-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Please no scolding! This doesn't accomplish a thing, he's only doing what comes naturally.

Lee Anne
09-08-2006, 09:23 AM
:ditto: :ditto: :ditto:

catstamm
09-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Please no scolding.....human kids are not animals....hummmm my kids destroyed a lot of thier toys to :scratch: isn't that what they are for??? :rotfl:
Cricket is just a great hunter who kills and eats his prey......

jessica967
09-11-2006, 02:27 PM
I think it's in their nature. I just buy cheap toys in bulk at dog.com or petedge.com. As long as it's Riley's toys then she doesn't got scolded.

Mama S.
09-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Lord help - if I scolded for every shredded toy - I'd never shut up. Might I remind you girlies - the time out bench is warmed up - gotta feeling that statement is going to be fair game:rotfl:
Mama

feuerman_911
09-16-2006, 02:42 PM
As I tell my friends when they are complaining about the destuffing of animals.. that their dog has truly just saved their lifes from the wobbie monster.. He/she must destuff that toy to make sure you are safe from whatever lurks inside :banana:
You know why they destuff toys.. Cuz they can... :rotfl:
I told my hubby and kids from the get go.. that if one of thier items gets chewed up because they did not take care of it then whose fault is it?? they have learned the hard way...
But my house and items are safe from my dogs.. it is just the darned cats. they chew like dogs.. I can not tell you how many things they have ruined. the funniest is the cat goes into my work out bag and chewed the laces to my running shoes so when I get to the gym put my shoes on and went to tie them the laces came off in my hand..lol.. :duh:

Teddysmom
09-17-2006, 10:31 AM
Willie's pretty good about not destuffing, but if one of his toys i.e. Bobo, the ref, crabbie gets torn etc. it gets put up until the surgery ward opens again. He's very patient when they are in surgery. If they get torn again, THe surgeon (me) patches em up again. I don't scold him though.
My Teddy's the same way about de-stuffing his Bo-Bo; he tries to be careful but on ocassion he will rip it's head off and then bring it to me for 'surgery'. I don't scold him....it is HIS toy. I just take Bo-Bo and say "What happened here?" and he looks at me with pitiful eyes as if to say "I'm sorry". I just sew it back up and give it back to him with a smile and laugh and say to him "be careful". It never works though:rotfl: If it ws one of my kids' stuffed animals or something like that then I may have to scold; but if it's HIS toy....it's fair game!