PDA

View Full Version : Help with Snooter

Goob
09-08-2006, 01:20 PM
I came home this morning and Snoots has been following me all over the house whimpering and making pitiful sounds. She's clearly distressed over us being gone, and I'm sure she knows on some level that dad isn't well. With family and friends coming and going and taking care of them when I'm at the hospital I think she's upset. My FIL couldn't find her last night, when he finally did, she had burrowed into our laundry hamper (fine, there's no hamper, just a pile on the floor) and was sleeping.

Any tips on helping her thru this? Just ignore the behavior? :sosad:

lotsadox
09-08-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm sure she's just anxious and distressed with all the confusion and stress. A little extra loving and maybe some rescue remedy (I know, I recommend it a lot, but it helps anxiety) should help her. Other than that, I don't know what to recommend. Just like us, they get anxious and stressed when things aren't right and definitely pick up on the emotions of those around them. :sosad:

jenfer
09-08-2006, 02:09 PM
:ditto:
I think it's stress, confusion (where is mommy and daddy). Is the professor doing alright? Hugs to all the furbabies.

Bella's Mom
09-08-2006, 02:18 PM
I would definitely let her sleep with clothes from both you and Bryan or anything that has your scent on it just to give her a little comfort. She does sound like she is stressed because you two aren't home. Your family including your puppers are going through alot right now. :hug99:

quavec
09-08-2006, 02:22 PM
ITA - something of each of you to sleep with. Do they sleep together? The Prof and Snoot?

Sounds like she is picking up the vibes from the family and are just as worried as all of you.

Lots of :hearts: and :pray: .

oceangirls
09-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Cesar's theory would be that you should ignore the undesirable behavior and just act like everything is normal even if you have to fake it.

I see his point because dogs do pick up on the fact that things are wrong and their people are anxious... but on the other hand, why would I have dogs if I had to be fake around them? :scratch:

I think personally I would try to keep as many things as I could routine for her (like feeding and sleeping times, etc.) but maybe give her some attention like playing or walks. But I would NOT do a lot of picking her up and cuddling her and telling her, "it's okay, it's okay..." because that reinforces the anxiety. That is what I do with Angel when she is anxious about fireworks or because we are worried about hurricanes or whatever.

oceangirls
09-08-2006, 02:49 PM
I should add that from my personal experience, it is very VERY hard to get other people (like in-laws) not to pick up a nervous dog and cuddle it and say, "Poor baby, it's okay!!" even if you try to do that. :rolleyes: My in-laws are like, "Oh bless her heart, she's scared of the fireworks! Poor baby! Come out from under the couch and let Grandpa & Grandma hold you!"

so much for that :)

Patt
09-08-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm sure she's just anxious and distressed with all the confusion and stress. A little extra loving and maybe some rescue remedy (I know, I recommend it a lot, but it helps anxiety) should help her. Other than that, I don't know what to recommend. Just like us, they get anxious and stressed when things aren't right and definitely pick up on the emotions of those around them. :sosad:

:ditto: :ditto: This is a prime example of what Cesar is always saying. Dogs sense the energy vibrations we send out. Obviously Snooter is picking up on all of the stress energy in the house. I know it will be difficult, but try to keep things as normal as possible. As long as she has a "safe" place to hide she will be fine. As hard as it may be I would ignore her b/c if you don’t you will encourage this behavior. JMHO

Tex
09-08-2006, 03:33 PM
ITA with all the advice given.....sending extra :hug99: and :hearts: for Snooter and the Prof!!!!!!

Da Brat
09-08-2006, 03:35 PM
This is where I disagree with Cesar... Sorry, but I'm not going to ignore my dog when they are picking up on my stresses! I do agree with the trying to get her something with your scent on it to sleep with and the rescue remedy!
Good luck Goob. I hope things get better soon!! :pray:

lotsadox
09-08-2006, 03:45 PM
This is where I disagree with Cesar... Sorry, but I'm not going to ignore my dog when they are picking up on my stresses! I do agree with the trying to get her something with your scent on it to sleep with and the rescue remedy!

Well, the thing about ignoring them is to not reinforce that there is something to be anxious/frightened about. I've worked with several dogs with anxiety problems and coddling them only tells them that they are right, there is something to be anxious and frightened about and that makes them worse. Remember, they're dogs, not people. They don't think the same way that we do. :banana:

Rae
09-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Remember, they're dogs, not people. They don't think the same way that we do. :banana:

BLASPHEMY! Please do not tell the Duchess she is not a person. She will not believe you and may very well have you banished from her kingdom.
:rotfl:

Courtney
09-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Do they sleep together? The Prof and Snoot?

OMG Carrol!!!! They're BROTHER AND SISTER! That would be illegal! :rotfl:

Ok seriously, I agree with the suggestions. When you give her attention, just ask her to work for it. Make her sit or do something else first. No extra coddling to reinforce the fear. Walks and rescue remedy can't hurt either.

And Karen I have been so busy, but I do want to let you know that you and Bryan are most definitely in my thoughts. :hug99: :hug99:

jenfer
09-08-2006, 06:46 PM
BLASPHEMY! Please do not tell the Duchess she is not a person. She will not believe you and may very well have you banished from her kingdom.
:rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: Please tell HRH not to check her email please. :please:

:lol: :lol:

I do agree when something happens, we should still act normal and stay calm.

Patt
09-08-2006, 08:26 PM
I certainly didn’t mean for anyone to ignore any dog under stress. To be more specific; you should never reward a dog for exhibiting bad behavior, this only encourages them to continue with it. Although anxiety may not appear on its face to be bad behavior, it certainly is not a desired frame of mind. In this case, remembering Snooter is an animal and not a human, rather than treating her problem with sympathy as you would a child, I recommend another approach. Being as calm and assertive as possible under the circumstances, Karen or one of her relatives might hook Snooter and the Professor up and take them for a walk. Seeing their pack leader in control will do more to alleviate Snooter’s stress than many hugs and kisses. Courtney also has made a good suggestion. Make Snooter do something before giving a treat and/or affection.

K2
09-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Poor Snooter!! I agree with the advice you've already been given: and try to keep calm when you're around her. Sending lots of :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for everyone.

lizzieb38
09-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Poor Snooter. Agree that you should give her something that she can smell you and Bryan on. She just knows somethings up.:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for her and the Prof that they do okay while their daddy is in the hospital.