PDA

View Full Version : Is Swiffer Wet Jet bad for dogs or what?

Anatresia
09-09-2006, 03:46 PM
I held off getting one of those Swiffer wet mops (not the wet swiffer, but the battered powered kind) because I heard it was bad for dogs- some dogs even died from the chemicals.

Then I heard it was all an urban legend chain letter and it was perfectly safe, so I bought one. Swiffer claims their products are fine to use with pets in the home, and we've used the wet and dry versions plenty.

I used it last Monday. Mr. Butters threw up Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Sadly, it coincided with my going back to work, so maybe the vomiting is related to stress (he hates changing his routine.) Rigby appears fine.

I think I'm overreacting. It sucks, though, because when I used my Wet Jet today, I felt this scary feeling and didn't even bother doing the other hardwood rooms, just the kitchen, which I locked them out of. Paul probably thinks I'm nuts.

Bella's Mom
09-09-2006, 04:02 PM
I had worried about that too. I did some "googleing" and email the "Swiffer People" and I feel fine about using it with the Bella girl around. I do keep her out of the areas until it is completely dry of course but I haven't had any issues. I think Butters is just upset over the change in routine. Poor little guy is just attached to his mommy and wants her with him all the time. :bflower:

Helen
09-09-2006, 04:05 PM
That was definitely an urban legend. Here's the Snopes page on it: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp.

lotsadox
09-09-2006, 07:14 PM
I don't know whether it is true or not, I try not to use any more chemicals than I have to in my home. My favorite cleaner is vinegar/water/dish soap. I feel the less chemicals that we are all exposed to, the better.

BTW, I wouldn't put a lot of credence in what the Swiffer people tell you. After all they put thousands of dollars into manufacturing and promoting this product and want to sell all that they can. I doubt they're too worried about your pet getting sick. They're more worried about making money. If it's not proven that it actually KILLS pets, they're not going to admit a thing. Why would they? :scratch:

Patt
09-09-2006, 07:42 PM
As Helen posted it's just an urban legend. I use the wet Swiffer Sweeper and none of the pets have had any problems with it.

Mama S.
09-09-2006, 08:35 PM
I use both the regular swiffer in my kitchen and the wood floor ones for the bedroom. Never had any problems with the herd!
mama

Tex
09-09-2006, 10:11 PM
How is Mr. Butters feelin' this weekend???? Better I hope :hearts: .

blueyezz74
09-09-2006, 10:14 PM
I love my Swifter and never had any problems. Of course, I try to make sure the dogs don't go on the floor until it's dry. Sometimes that's impossible.

oceangirls
09-09-2006, 10:28 PM
I think in general, it's a myth. They have to take their toxicity testing pretty seriously (remember if a dog can consume it, so can a kid!). That being said it is certainly not intended for human or creature consumption and could cause stomach problems at least in large quantities. So if you have a starving dog like Cassie who spends her free time licking the kitchen floor :rolleyes: you probably want to minimize how much/often you use it. Patrice's vinegar and water solution is a good idea... or how I solve it is I just don't clean very often. :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: