View Full Version : Antidote for Onions - need help please

Chris
09-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Is there something you can give a dog if it has had some onion to get it out of their system????

(i didn't give Ollie onions, a houseguest to and I am ripping them a new head right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I see lots of sites for why its bad but nothing to counteract it.

Should i feed him something in particular? make him vomit?? what???

Courtney
09-12-2006, 02:03 PM
You can induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. Best to call the vet for instructions or Animal Poison Control.

areese
09-12-2006, 02:40 PM
I'd give him peroxide (couple tablespoons) and induce vomiting and call the vet. I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't make him throw them up and it would be better to get them out of his system as fast as you can, if this was a recent thing...

Patt
09-12-2006, 02:42 PM
I'd give him peroxide (couple tablespoons) and induce vomiting and call the vet. ...
:ditto: :ditto: How much did he eat? Sending :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that you can the onions out of his stomach fast! :crossfin::goodluck:

Jen
09-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Hope Ollie is barfing those nasty onions out of his system.

Please let us know how he is!! (BAD guest!!)

Lisa
09-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Great advice. I would do the same to get them out.

Chris
09-12-2006, 03:27 PM
What happened is i left the plate in the middle of the tdining room able. We have someone over who is not a pet person. She doesn't dislike animals, just not a pet person. So I am in the bathroom and I return to see Ollie sitting on my chair at the laptop (the plate is behind the laptop towards the middle of the table) and the plate is licked clean. I want to preface this that since Ollie has much longer legs and is quite the athlete, this is no effort for him. He really should be in agility to channel his talents). He could have easily went from the tall dining room chair to dancing on the table like he was hopping up a 3" step. He was not on the table when i came back in the room.

You would have thought ANYBODY would have taken the plate away from the dog even if they were not a pet person.

Anyways so i said did Ollie eat this? and she laughed. I said

"it IS NOT FUNNY! Dogs can get very sick!!""

Okay, my fault - i left my chair not tucked out. Usually Ollie would never go near the laptop. He had to really stretch to get around the laptop but he is a monkey. We never leave anything out on the end tables or the coffee table that isn't a squeakie or something that Ollie doesn't care about like magazines, etc.

i didn't have much on my plate. Maybe the equivelant of one onion ring at the very most. But i am still freaked out. Is that enough to panic?? He is 16 lbs and none of its fat - he is all muscle.

areese
09-12-2006, 03:43 PM
I really don't think that will hurt him. Not one ring of onion...

Otto'sMom
09-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Uh...I've given my dogs Onion Rings to eat and had no ill effects other than really really really really really really really stinky farts. Did I mention how stinky they were? :faint:
I don't think you need to worry. If he'd eaten a whole onion, then yes, but just one ring isn't going to kill him. Might kill you and peel paint off the walls.

Patt
09-12-2006, 04:02 PM
I agree I don't think one onion ring would be a problem, maybe cause a tummy ache. I think it would put your mind at ease if you give your vet a call. Check out onions on the following link, it's pretty informative.

http://mooreshaven.com/pets/dogs/safety/badfoodslist.html

oceangirls
09-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Agree, one onion ring would not worry me in the slightest (and I hated, HATED, having to induce vomiting in my girls when they got the vitamins...).

But it certainly wouldn't hurt to call the vet and see what they say. Then smack your guest upside the head a couple of times :D

oceangirls
09-12-2006, 04:38 PM
And if you DO induce vomiting, corral the dog in a room where he can't get access to carpets :rolleyes: Okay, it's probably just me that that kind of thing happens to...

lotsadox
09-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Then smack your guest upside the head a couple of times :D

:ditto: Smack your guest for me, too. Every time I hear one of these stories I remember one of the many reasons I don't like to have people stay at my house.

Chris
09-12-2006, 07:29 PM
actually it was someone who came over to help DH.luckily they were only here for a few hours.

I was just so livid. Maybe people who don't have pets and never had a pet ever don't think the same way we do. I mean, my fault for leaving the chair tucked out a few microscopic inches. But on the other hand, if you were in a house and a small dog was suddenly on the table who didn't look the right height to have gotten up there in the first place, wouldn't something go off in your head that something wasn't right there? They didn't a) call me or b) grab the plate from him (either option would have redeemed the situation in my eyes

Tex
09-13-2006, 08:06 AM
Sending some tummy :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Ollie!!!!!!!! ITA with smackin' the guest!

oceangirls
09-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Is he doing okay today, Chris?