PDA

View Full Version : Mitzi skin recheck & they found something

Frzframe
12-23-2005, 03:15 PM
I took Moo back to the vet yesterday. And while checking her over the vet found a tumor. She asperated it and thank goodness it's just a fatty tumor in her tummy area. But, what worries me is that it grew really fast. I took her in just a month ago and it was there. The other thing is she's also lost more weight. She weighed almost 15 lbs three months ago but now she's down to 12.8 lbs. She lost a whole lbs in a month. She is more active since the fosters are here but isn't that a lot of weight to loose so fast? Should I worry? :confused:

Oh and her skin is better but still really dry so the vet wanted to change her food but I don't want to do that. :scratch: Her fur looks great so we decided to put her on OMEGA-3 Fatty acid liquid to see how she does on it.

Patt
12-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Lipomas are just fatty tumors and likely will stay that way, but keep an eye on it and have her checked periodically because it could change. They are quite common in older or overweight dogs but believe they can happen at any age. If it is not in a place where it would bother her I’m sure she will be fine, since she has one she could develop another. I’ve had dogs with Lipomas and they all did very well, try not to worry, I know easy to say but really it is okay.

That is quite a drop in weight, what did your vet say? Has she had a blood test recently? Possibly it is just being more active. I would weigh her at home on your scale and then every couple of weeks. If she is still losing then I think you should talk to your vet. Why did your vet want to change her food and what did she want to change it too? I supplement Trixie’s food with Salmon oil. I'll bet you'll see a difference with Omega 3 but it will take a while.

Please keep up updated.

Lisa
12-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Also how much is she being bathed? I am not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I know mine get super dry skin if I bathe them too frequently.

Goob
12-23-2005, 08:05 PM
I have my professor on salmon oil caplets. They work really well. His skin gets super dry in the summer, but lately he's been a lot better. Definitly keep your eye on her weight, that is a lot of weight to lose.

lotsadox
12-23-2005, 09:02 PM
I've had several dogs with fatty tumors and haven't had problems. One of them had one near her anus that the vet had to remove the other was on her tummy and didn't bother her. Another dog had a couple that were there for years. She lived to be over 16 yo and never had any problems.

On the other hand Amanda developed a tumor that was cancerous and had to be removed 4 years ago, but she hasn't had any problems since then.