PDA

View Full Version : Royal Canine

Mommy2Molly
09-14-2006, 05:01 AM
Hey ya'll I need some advice....
I got a sample pack of Royal Canin MINI Canine Health Nutrition for Dachshund's. Well my Miss Picky Butt Molly LOVED it. Is anyone familiar with this brand and would you recommed it for Molly? It's so hard finding food for her that is healthy and she'll actually eat.

Oh another thing...
Hubby brought home some mini rawhide bones he found the other night. Molly loved those too to the point that I had to take it from her so we could go to bed. Well the problem is the bone itself was the right size for her but she managed to get a peice off and I had to dig it outta her mouth:huh:

Now I'm assuming as much as they may like it rawhide can't be good for our babies. Would ya'll agree?

alfina
09-14-2006, 05:37 AM
Royal Canin is not the premiere dog food. And Dachshund formula is nothing but a marketing gimmick. Check out the ingredients on the package:

Ingredients
Chicken meal, rice, brown rice, oatmeal, wheat gluten meal, corn gluten, chicken fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract and citric acid), natural chicken flavor, chicken, beet pulp (sugar removed), pea fiber, salt, salmon oil, soya oil, potassium chloride, fructooligosaccharides, calcium carbonate, hydrolyzed vegetable oil (CLA), choline chloride, sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine*, Vitamins [dl-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C*), d-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], borage oil, green tea extract, glucosamine hydrochloride, L-carnitine, chondroitin sulfate.

It is full of grans AND it has corn gluten. A lot of dogs are allergic to corn.

This website explains what to look for in a high quality dog food. http://dogaware.com/

Tex
09-14-2006, 07:08 AM
Hum.......on the link that Zandra had a while back (I know it's stickied under Got Food?)....the one where your dog food gets a grade, the Royal Canin scored very high. I do believe in reading the indredients (we avoid corn every chance we get), but I also think that some of the different formulas have varying ingredients. I feed Julie the Royal Canin food for minni inside "weight balanced" something or other (I can't remember exactly what it's called, it's early :coffee: ). I will check the ingredients again the next time I buy food for Julie, but I personaly like the Royal Canin and Julie and Jax both love it.

areese
09-14-2006, 07:54 AM
Oh another thing...
Hubby brought home some mini rawhide bones he found the other night. Molly loved those too to the point that I had to take it from her so we could go to bed. Well the problem is the bone itself was the right size for her but she managed to get a peice off and I had to dig it outta her mouth:huh:

Now I'm assuming as much as they may like it rawhide can't be good for our babies. Would ya'll agree?

I know there are varying opinions on rawhides too. I do get them. But I get great big rolled ones. It takes forever for them to get them chewed down and they never have gotten a piece off. I check to make sure they are made in the US and are made without arsenic or other yucky things too. Also the Weens are supervised while chewing. Owen is a very determined chewer and we haven't had any problems with them, but like I said, I am right there checking on him. When they get small or if t seems a chunk could be chewed off, I throw them out. It seems they are good for his teeth cuz the vet said they look much better than when we first got him (1 year ago).

Tex
09-14-2006, 07:59 AM
ITA with Amy about the rawhides and chews like them. Always under supervision!!

Rae
09-14-2006, 08:48 AM
http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=4715

one of the Royal Canin sub brands got a 100 - bulldog formula, and one got 106+. this tells you how to grade any food based onthe ingredients on the bag so you can make an informed decision.

Good luck finding one that scores high that Miss Picky Britches will eat. Duchie will eat anything and ask for more please.... OINK...

Patt
09-14-2006, 10:23 AM
I feed Innova or Wellness brands. Since Molly is a picky eater I would go with RC for now and maybe try to gradually switch her later if you wish. Be very careful about rawhides (see link) and totally agree with under supervision only. Trixie occasionally gets C.E.T. Chews.

http://www.jeanesholistics.com/id66.html

Tex
09-14-2006, 10:26 AM
I feed Innova or Wellness brands. Since Molly is a picky eater I would go with RC for now and maybe try to gradually switch her later. Be very careful about rawhides (see link) and totally agree with under supervision only. Trixie occasionally gets C.E.T. Chews.

http://www.jeanesholistics.com/id66.html

I :hearts: the C.E.T. chews, but I have trouble finding them......do you have to get them from a vet???? My PetSmart doesn't have them, I haven't tried Petco.........

Patt
09-14-2006, 10:33 AM
I :hearts: the C.E.T. chews, but I have trouble finding them......do you have to get them from a vet???? My PetSmart doesn't have them, I haven't tried Petco.........I purchase mine from the vet but I think someone mentioned sometime ago you can buy them on line.

Tex
09-14-2006, 10:47 AM
I purchase mine from the vet but I think someone mentioned sometime ago you can buy them on line.

Thanks! I'll google it and see what I can find.

lotsadox
09-14-2006, 11:20 AM
ITA with Olga. I don't like the ingredients. Far too much rice, oatmeal and wheat. Dogs don't need grains (in fact, people would be better off without so many grains). I wouldn't feed it to my dogs. JMHO

jenfer
09-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Gigi "was" on Royal Canin Doxie formula... we are switching to Solid Gold though. Gigi likes it fine, but it seems to work better if we switch her food so she will gain some weight (wish I could say that for myself).

Mommy2Molly
09-14-2006, 01:12 PM
WOW!

Thanks everyone for the heads up. I have a new mommy confession to make...before this post I truely never paid much mind to ingrediants(I know I was a horrible mommy). I always just pretty much went with the known name. Not good!!!

I have to agree now that this so called doxie stuff has far more what I would call junk than I want for Molly.

I am really impressed with this Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance. Only thing is, how do I know which one to go with? The ingediants sound great to me though....

Jen
09-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Some smaller pet stores have sample bags they make up themselves, at least in this area. Tasha is on part Evo (very rich but she loves it, no problems with pickiness) and raw mediallions from Stella and Chewey's for supper. Put ITA with Patt, Innova and Wellness make excellent foods.

Tasha gets the chopped, shaped rawhide sticks. We used to give her very thin ones shaped like potato chips but she tended to swallow them, gag, bring it back up, chew some more.....ewwww. ALL chews should only be given under supervision though.

badgerdogbren
09-15-2006, 11:34 PM
We also switched from RC to Blue as I liked the ingredients better and they offer more variety. Blue is listed as holistc and seems to couple better with the raw diet they also get.

feuerman_911
09-16-2006, 02:35 PM
I fell for the gimmick of Royal Canine doxie food. I got it for my Abby. she had diaherra all over the house and yard. We feed California Natural but we are slowing switching them to grain-free Nature's variety. They get dry kibble in the morning and the raw medallions for the night feeding...
Angela

Michelle
09-19-2006, 04:49 PM
I am really impressed with this Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance. Only thing is, how do I know which one to go with? The ingediants sound great to me though....

I think this stuff is great, Heidi and Princess have been eating this in the morning for a while now, I still mix in Solid Gold, but really do like the Natural Balance. They still get raw in the evening,,