View Full Version : Lil' Smokey has upset tummy

Laurie' s Dachshunds
09-16-2006, 12:41 AM
What can I do for him? Our vet is closed 'til Monday.
He has had "squirts" twice and he puked twice.
When we got up he was OK, then I fed him, he ate all his food, ate normal & acted normal, went out & he came back inside, about 7:30am.
I put him in his crate & got ready for work, then I smelled pup poop!
He "squirted" in his crate & it was awful! Cleaned everything up & went to work about 11am, I called home @ 3pm & hubby said
he' s OK. I came home around 9pm & he had squirted in his crate again!
I put him on a fresh blankie & put my sleeping bag down & watched him all night. He got up & puked. Now I am worried that he' s getting weak.
Any advice? I don' t know what to do, my brain has turned to mush!

alfina
09-16-2006, 01:41 AM
How old is Smokey? You need to get to Emergency Vet if yours is closed.

Patt
09-16-2006, 02:58 AM
Did he eat anything unusual? Possibly is gastronenteritis or it could be worms. Has he had a fecal test done recently? I would withhold his food for now. Check his gums to make sure they are pink. Vomiting and diarrhea will dehydrate Lil Smokey. So if he is still has V&D you need to get him to emergency. When you do feed him make sure it is a bland diet. Here's a couple of links that will help you.

http://www.placervillevet.com/canine%20gastroenteritis.htm#Vomiting
http://www.wellvet.com/diarrheadog.html

Sending feel better :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: Please keep us updated.

Laurie' s Dachshunds
09-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Lil' Smokey is 1 yr. old & he' s on HeartGuard which should prevent any worms.
It' s something he' s ate. All of the dogs have been digging in the yard. It looked like they started an excavating team!
I think they are eating earth worms.I' ve been keeping a close eye on his stool. It looks loose & contains his food, grass & dirt. No worms. When he vomited, it was pure puppy chow (and some liquid)
His gums look fine & his eyes are bright & he' s very alert.

I had tummy issues all week myself:confused: so I know he' s not feeling too good.

HotDogMama
09-16-2006, 08:04 AM
Molly got a wild onion once, she squirted and puked all night even after I gave her rice and broth, so I withheld food and treats for 24 hrs.but made sure she drank plenty of water. and then started the food back gradually. She was fine after that, but about gave me a heartattack!!

:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for the lil guy, and a :hug99: to you for having to be a worried mom!!!

oceangirls
09-16-2006, 08:29 AM
Can't add a single thing to what others have said - absolutely make sure he is drinking water and make sure you know where there is an e-vet... but hopefully things will settle down. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Tex
09-16-2006, 09:28 AM
Sorry no great advice here, but sending lots of tummy :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for 'Lil Smokey!!!!

Kerie
09-17-2006, 12:04 AM
I've been there with the puking, often. I haven't dealt with many problems at the other end, though. If it is severe enough, we withhold food for 24 hours. I don't withhold water unless we have gone to the vet for IV fluids, which he has gotten twice. We then gradually re-introduce food. Now that we have been through it a few times, my vet feels that we will know when it is severe enough that we need to withhold food. She does not want us to wait to start doing that next time. When we reintroduce food, We have a prescription food that we start with, but the vet recently told me that baby food will do when I reintroduce food. When he vomits, he gets put on Pepcid for a few days. If he vomits one day, he usually does it again for a few days. The Pepcid seems to prevent that. He gets 10mg of Pepcid, which is the over the counter humand version but is not the extra strenght version. He is a standard, so don't go by this if your pup is smaller. My pup had gotten IV fluids twice since we have had him. The vet checks his gums and under his arms for dryness to tell if he is dehydrated. Hope this helps.