View Full Version : Overweight Doxies

catstamm
09-17-2006, 02:57 PM
Does anyone have any articles about the health risks of overweight doxies???? I need any and all articles that could be sent my way.....I want to put together a packet about the dangers. We had a meet-up yesterday and some of the doxies we've adopted out are FAT now!!!! Not to mention there were about 10 other overweight doxies.....
We talk to people about it all the time but, I guess it doesn't sink in....maybe articles would help????
You always hear the same thing...."Oh it's so hard to resist not giving them treats, when they give you that look" or "Oh we love them so much we spoil them to death" ....you got the death part right!
Please help.....

Tex
09-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Sorry, I don't have an articles, but ITA with putting together something in print for adoptive doxie parents. This is why I'm so concerned with getting the little bit of weight off Julie that she needs to lose!!!

Anatresia
09-17-2006, 03:12 PM
If you do make something, please send it my way. I would love to leave it on my inlaws' table. :rotfl:

catstamm
09-17-2006, 03:21 PM
I changed Jen's diet since she has been stuck for a year ...after losing 5.5lbs. And she is losing again....people at the meet-up noticed Woo Hoo...

Tracy don't smile or make light of it when your in-laws give your dogs food.... Ask them if they will dish out 3 grand if the pup goes down.
My girls go to work with me and I asked people several times not to give them food....they didn't get it until I got mad. I caught someone sneaking them a french fry and screamed...."Did you not F'in hear me!!!!! Don't feed my dogs that S...t!!!!
The next day he brought a bag of carrots.... :rolleyes:
I'm sure you don't want to upset your in-laws.....but you are the only voice your pups have....

Tex
09-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Ok Cat, now I SO have a mental pic of you screaming at your co-worker!!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

laura
09-17-2006, 03:27 PM
We keep our dogs in good weight by giving them carrots as treats and substituting no salt green beans when we have to cut back on their food. that way they get food volume but much fewer calories. Very easy to digest green beans too! Perhaps you should put together tips for them like these so they can make changes??

Patt
09-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Aww my favorite subject, killing with kindness. I'll get my stuff together and e-mail you.

catstamm
09-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Actually the 2 times I got the most pissed off at work was over the dogs :rotfl: :rotfl: The other time was when I hired this lady..... (the girls bark at new people until they get to know them) Cami, yes I said Cami, was barking at her and she started screaming and running WTF
It was mean but, I said, "what the hell is wrong with you???? Have you ever been bit by a dog? That's one reaction to be assured you'll be bitten one day! Now don't scream again"......:rotfl:
Needless to say she doesn't work for me anymore :rotfl: :rotfl:

catstamm
09-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Patt....I knew you would come through for me ......:hug99: :hearts:

K2
09-17-2006, 03:49 PM
It always amazes me how many overweight doxies are out there. Even Ron said something to me the other day.....he sees them while at work and wondered how come some of them are "so fat". :) I mean, if it was up to Pippit~he would weigh at least 25lbs pounds! :rotfl:

catstamm
09-17-2006, 03:52 PM
It always amazes me how many overweight doxies are out there. Even Ron said something to me the other day.....he sees them while at work and wondered how come some of them are "so fat". :) I mean, if it was up to Pippit~he would weigh at least 25lbs pounds! :rotfl:

Exactly......Doxies are ALWAYS hungry....or give you THAT look....it doesn't mean they need it ....Jen would need to be rolled around if I fed her every time she acted hungry :rotfl:

catstamm
09-17-2006, 03:55 PM
It really others me when we get a doxie into rescue, nurse them to good health.....have them lookin' great....and the next time you see them they are outta shape and you can't recognize them....it's heart-breaking :sosad:

JanUet
09-17-2006, 04:20 PM
You find find lots of things on the internet about overweight doxies.
YOu can print them off and place it in a scrapbook or something.
Or are you making pamphlets for people to take home? :scratch:

samandissy
09-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Issy:cheer2: has recently lost 1 pound 11 ounces and Sam:banana: has lost 1.5 pounds by cutting back their portions and more exercise. I was giving them green beans and carrots and was told that the carrots had a lot of sugar, but my two weren't that crazy about them anyway. If I find anything you can use, Cat, I will send it to you. I have your address someplace around here. :duh:

catstamm
09-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Woo Hoo Sam and Issy....that is excellent!!!!
JanUet I want to put it together in the packet we give people to take home....I'll check out the internet too...but, I know there are a lot of people with info here and just thought someone had something great....

lotsadox
09-17-2006, 05:12 PM
As I remember somebody put out a good pamphlet you could download. I believe it was Dodger's List. Disabled Dachshund Society might also have stuff you could download.

K2
09-17-2006, 05:27 PM
And didn't someone post a site that had views from above on how your dog should look at ideal weight/slightly overweight/overweight? That would be good to include, too.

Patt
09-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Yes, here they are.

Link posted by Tracy 2-10-06 – drawings of lean to fat Doxies (DRNW)
http://www.nonprofitnw.org/drnw/id47.html

Chart to check to see if your dog is overweight (Patt)
http://www.placervillevet.com/canine%20body%20condition.htm

Dodgerslist does have pamphlets you can download.
http://www.dodgerslist.com/

catstamm
09-17-2006, 05:59 PM
You rock patt....of course dodgerslist....what was I thinking.
When I get it all together, I can email anyone a pdf if they are interested.....

Tex
09-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Great links Patt!!!!!! I want one when you're done Cat!

Anatresia
09-17-2006, 08:59 PM
I think Riggie is still okay. She might be like a 5.5 or 6 on that scale. Mr. B is definitely a 7. Overweight. Not obese, though. Which is good.

I have them on 1/2 cup kibble each per day and they walk a mile around 4 times a week. They also play like crazy at home and in the yard.

The problem with my two is that when we go to the inlaws, they can get fed a week's worth of food in one night. Biscuits and treats and people food.

I'm going to really ask them to try to only give them healthy stuff from now on. She can get the low cal doggie biscuits, and they like frozen greenbeans.

Mr. B is maintaining at his new weight (2 pounds down from the winter) but I'm scared that with winter coming he'll gain again. I want him down another two pounds.

Patt
09-17-2006, 10:04 PM
I'm going to really ask them to try to only give them healthy stuff from now on. She can get the low cal doggie biscuits, and they like frozen greenbeans..
My suggestion would be to pack in baggies a "snack pack" of chopped carrots or any other veggis they like to eat. Give them to your family to give as treats. This type of snacks will add volume without adding calories.

Anatresia
09-17-2006, 10:07 PM
That's a good idea! it's the act of feeding more than what they eat, I think, for both sides. The dogs obviously prefer meat, but they'll beg for ANYTHING and the inlaws enjoy feeding them anything, so why can't it be healthy?

AgileOllie
09-17-2006, 10:29 PM
You rock patt....of course dodgerslist....what was I thinking.
When I get it all together, I can email anyone a pdf if they are interested.....

Me Me Me ME!!!! Please send it to me. I'd love to put one in each adoption packet.

Thanks!

catstamm
09-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Me Me Me ME!!!! Please send it to me. I'd love to put one in each adoption packet.

Thanks!
I will...but I'm slow, so patience is necessary :hearts: I have some other great stuff I'll forward you too...

Frzframe
09-17-2006, 10:46 PM
I have to 5 1/2's. Both Mitzi and Dudley aren't ideal but then again they aren't fat either. I'm working on their weight all the time. One vet visit they are great the next they need to loose 1/2 - 1 lb. I need to get them to a consistant weight. We're working on it. :)

This is a great idea Cat and I think I'm going to put a hand out together for the shelters dog walk on October 1st. :)

Bella's Mom
09-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Great information guys!! :appl:

Alex's Mom
09-18-2006, 04:14 PM
What a great idea, Cat!!! I'm going to pull something together for the Weeniefest ... there seem to be a lot of udgy dachsies in our neck of the woods!

catstamm
09-18-2006, 06:04 PM
This is preety good:
Obesity -
What can we say? An overweight dachshund is at risk for disk disease, epilepsy, thyroid problems, heart disease, etc: Same things people are at risk for when they are overweight. For dachshunds, it can be much more problematic because of their long backs and short legs. Ensure your dachshund is on a well balanced diet and is at a comfortable weight for its size.
I also found this...

Did you know?
Avoid these Canine Obesity Complitcations for Dachshunds:

Canine Diabetes
Pancreas Problem
Serious Joint Complication (especially for older Dachshunds)
Decreased Liver Function
Increased Surgical/Anesthetic Risk
Digestive Disorder
Decreased Immune Function
Spinal Injury

Similar to the health threats obesity poses to humans, overweight Dachshunds are at increased risk for serious medical problems, reduced ability to recover from injuries, skeletal stress, cardiopulmonary disease and reproductive disorders. Responsible Dachshund owners know just how important a healthy diet and proper exercise are to establishing and maintaining good health for his or her Dachshund.

Tex
09-19-2006, 07:17 AM
I like it Cat! Keep it comin'!

Patt
09-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Great start!:appl: :appl: