PDA

View Full Version : Did ya'll hear!!!!

Tex
09-21-2006, 09:52 AM
On the radio this morning, I heard that there is a bill going through Congress ( I think I heard that part right), that will allow people being evacuated in the event of a natural disaster (aka Katrina!) to take and keep their pets with them!!!!! So many people stayed behind bc they wouldn't leave their animals!!!! I just heard a little blurp about it, but if it's true and it passes, this would be a great step in our countries legislation towards the importance of animals as companions (think I stole some of those words from the radio dude :ashamed: ). Anyway, don't know if anyone else has any more info. on this, but I thought it was good news!

AgileOllie
09-21-2006, 10:08 AM
It is true! We all wrote to our senators and even to the Gov. asking for this bill. They assured us they would fight to have it pass in the senate.

Let's hope it does!!

Laurie' s Dachshunds
09-21-2006, 10:09 AM
I heard that too. It' s great 'cos I know I can' t leave mine!

Rae
09-21-2006, 10:11 AM
that is grand. I bawled when I saw the people on tv who had to leave their pets... I mean, I understand some folks have "assorted yard dogs" and that everyone does not feel about their pets the way we do, but I can't imagine anyone on here being able to leave their babies.

I thought about Mama and the herd, and our other members who have multiples. Duchie is portable and there's only one of her, and she is a svelte 12.5 lbs (:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: ). I am pretty sure I could handle sticking her in my shirt or coat, but how in the world would Mama and PJ - 2 people - be able to handle 8 pupperz in an emergency?

paws crossed here for sensible legislation. Should pups be allowed to take the place of human lives? no.. but there has to be a better way than what we saw with Katrina.

AgileOllie
09-21-2006, 10:28 AM
that is grand. I bawled when I saw the people on tv who had to leave their pets... I mean, I understand some folks have "assorted yard dogs" and that everyone does not feel about their pets the way we do, but I can't imagine anyone on here being able to leave their babies.

I thought about Mama and the herd, and our other members who have multiples. Duchie is portable and there's only one of her, and she is a svelte 12.5 lbs (:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: ). I am pretty sure I could handle sticking her in my shirt or coat, but how in the world would Mama and PJ - 2 people - be able to handle 8 pupperz in an emergency?

paws crossed here for sensible legislation. Should pups be allowed to take the place of human lives? no.. but there has to be a better way than what we saw with Katrina.

Last year, when we were faced with Rita, we were on the verge of being forced to evacuate. I was 90 miles from the "strike" zone, and things were getting bad. At that time we had our own 6 plus 4 fosters. Thank GOD I had friends and rescue people north of me who were scrambling to help us. Luckily, we didn't have to evacuate, because I worked for the state, and they needed us at our job. The dogs all stayed inside with us and yes it was SCARY, but we got through it. I don't think I'll stay again if one comes that close. Now I live right near the coast, so as soon as we get a warning, we're outta here. I'm not waiting for a mandator evacuation rule. I have a very good friend in Shreveport who is always willing to take us in.

The key is planning.

quavec
09-21-2006, 11:08 AM
The key is planning.

Very true. And now, here on the MS Coast, there is a shelter (only one that I'm aware of for now) that will allow pets - crated - but it's a start. :appl: The pictures of New Orleans with people on their rooftops with their dog next to them was so heartbreaking! You know they didn't leave for fear of what would become of their furkids. DH knows that Cricket comes with us. When we left for my FIL's house, the car was JAMMED with stuff and Cricket was wedged between the kids. It was a cramped ride, but we were not leaving him.

It's about time that the government realized that pets are not expendable. Now if only the abuse laws would get passed........

Otto'sMom
09-21-2006, 12:00 PM
I've always had emergency plans for the anipals. I could be saving money driving an economy sized vehicle, but I have an SUV that's just big enough to tote all the anipals, cats included. Where we're going, I don't know. I'll drive to Iowa if I have to. I have timed kitty cat round up to 10 minutes. A minute a cat. The dogs are simple...all you gotta say is "Do you wanna???" and they're in the truck. If they say Evacuate, we're outta here.

Jen
09-21-2006, 01:34 PM
We always have a plan too. Wonderful that provisions for the furkids may be LAW!! :banana20:

Goob
09-21-2006, 02:13 PM
That is fantastic news!!! :appl:

lotsadox
09-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Yes, yes, yes! I heard that and also saw it on our local news website. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Mama S.
09-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Where we're going, I don't know. I'll drive to Iowa if I have to. If they say Evacuate, we're outta here.
Georgia awaits you with open arms!!! Tween me, da brat and da boy we have room for ALL the anipals!!!
Mama

mcvwdox
09-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Yay! A news release on it is on the Humane Society website dated yesterday (9/20). It's called the Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards (PETS) Act. You can read the article at: http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publications/press_releases/pets_act_passes.html

catstamm
09-21-2006, 11:26 PM
I heard that was comin'....fabulous news.....I'd die before I'd leave the girls.......thank doG the animals are gettin a voice......:hearts:

Tex
09-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Yay! A news release on it is on the Humane Society website dated yesterday (9/20). It's called the Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards (PETS) Act. You can read the article at: http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publications/press_releases/pets_act_passes.html

Thanks for the link. I knew somebody would find better info., I was just so excited to hear about it on the local radio station that I had to share!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: