PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Cooper's Homecoming?

Bella's Mom
09-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Okay...We pick Cooper up this Saturday. Our Bella girl is precious and a real good girl. Any suggestions on keeping the peace and making our new, little addition settle in to the family fold easily?

I know we have to have them meet on "neutral" territory. Bella will also be showered with extra luvins and "alone" time with us. While we are working, the little guy will be in an x-pen (just like how we trained Bella) and crate-trained for the nighttime. We figured Bella would be able to see him in the x-pen while we are gone during the day and they could continue to get used to each other and Bella can "tease" him from the outside world. :rotfl:

Any other suggestions? What NOT to do??

Goob
09-21-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm so excited for you Kelli!!!! I don't really have any suggestions, more of a command. YOU MUST TAKE TONS OF PICS!!!! I'll be on high alert for Cooper/Bella pics. I know Bella Girl will be a great big sis.

Tex
09-22-2006, 09:19 PM
I'm so excited for you Kelli!!!! I don't really have any suggestions, more of a command. YOU MUST TAKE TONS OF PICS!!!! I'll be on high alert for Cooper/Bella pics. I know Bella Girl will be a great big sis.
:ditto: :ditto: :ditto: Big Ditto to takin' lots of pics!!! Sending some extra :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that everything goes smoothly at your house!

Teddysmom
09-22-2006, 10:17 PM
YES, please....LOTS OF PICS!!!!
Other than that, just keep a calm head on your shoulders and things should be okay. Just don't be surprised if a small squabble breaks out at first. OR they may just "hit it off' from the start and you could be very lucky. Keeping the paws and fingers crossed here for a smooth introduction for the new family member. Keep us posted.

Bella's Mom
09-22-2006, 10:49 PM
I am a nervous nelly right now! :rotfl: I'm excited about picking our boy up and Bella is being such a love bug tonight.... I sure love my girl....I hope she loves him and is happy he's with us. I'll be taking lots of pictures and will post some tomorrow night. Wish us luck!

Patt
09-22-2006, 11:59 PM
I think you have everything pretty well covered. Having separate places for them to retreat to for safety and rest will be perfect. Just be sure not to leave them together unsupervised. Time, patience and a routine will be quite helpful.
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: for a happy meeting between Bella and Cooper. :goodluck:

We will look forward to the update and pics!!!! :sausage:

http://home.att.net/~pvee/newcomer.html

Lisa
09-23-2006, 09:05 AM
Pictures! We want Pictures!!!!

Good luck with everything. Cooper will do awesome, sounds like you have everything under control.

oceangirls
09-23-2006, 09:36 AM
I wish I had suggestions for you... but have never done this either. We talked a lot about buying a friend for Tristan but never did :(, and then we brought our two girls home together. I always wondered if there was a book about how to do this though! The website Patt posted is a great start.

I think you will do just fine - most likely they will bond out of mutual annoyance over you constantly taking pictures of them :lol: :woohoo:

Anatresia
09-23-2006, 10:28 AM
We brought Rigby home when I was off from work, so I was able to make sure Thing 1 and Thing 2 got along before I left them alone together during the day. Initially the idea was separate crates, but once they started piling together to sleep, I figured he wouldn't rip her throat out during the day and they were promoted to one crate (I was making a bad assumption that she wouldn't rip HIS throat out- I didn't know her then. :rotfl: )

Now they're both in the kitchen like little grownup doggies when we're at work.

I don't know how to make it easier for Bella. Mr. Butters went into mourning for about 6 months. He was NOT happy with the change in situation. I don't know if it's because Piggers is such a bossy girl and he didn't like that, or if it's just the addition of another knocked him down a peg.

After that, he kind of resigned himself to the situation and now they're really close buddies. I think she likes him more than he likes her, but he is very loyal to her and they are definitely family. He will stand between her and things that scare her (like the evil vacuum) so I know he feels a bond. :) It took me a long time to consider her MY dog, too, because Butters and I are so close and I didn't know that I could love her the same, but she's finally earned her place with her insistance that she be kissed all the time and her squirrel antics. How could I not love her?

I am VERY excited for you!!! And I seriously can't wait for pictures of them!!! Good luck! Be strong, Bella. You'll always be number 1! (because you're a dachsie female and you wouldn't allow it any other way!):rotfl:

catstamm
09-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Kelli
Aren't you getting a puppy? I doubt you'll have any problems....puppies just wanna play.... and if Bella isn't in the mood, she'll let him know...