View Full Version : Tear duct question

Anatresia
09-23-2006, 08:24 AM
I mentioned before that Rigby's big eyes seem to water a lot and get mucus in the corners all the time. Much more than Mr. Butters.

Twice in the past two weeks or so, it's been so bad that it looks like the inside corner of her is all swollen and grey, yet when i take a tissue to it, it comes off (GROSS!) and it's just a giant thing of mucus.

It happened last night when the inlaws were over and they said maybe she has a blocked tear duct or something.

Do you think this is something I should get checked out now, or something that can wait and mention it to the vet on her checkup, which is due in the fall, I think? (I'll have to check the records.)

She's not in pain or anything. It's just gross and I think when it's big like that, it's probably uncomfortable until I notice and wipe it out.

alfina
09-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Could be an eye infection. Or allergies.

Tex
09-23-2006, 08:37 AM
Julie's eyes do the same thing. We call them eye boogers. I asked the vet about it once and she said that their was nothing wrong, that she just have really active ducts. I just wipe it away when I notice, which is pretty often. You may want to ask your vet, but I wouldn't consider it important enough to mke an appointment about asap......JMHO. It could also be an allergy.

oceangirls
09-23-2006, 09:50 AM
I would say if it has been a gradual change and she is not acting like she is in pain, or rubbing them excessively, then you don't have to make a special appointment. If it gets worse when she's outside, it might be an allergy. Sometimes dogs will also get eyelashes that grow the wrong way and constantly poke them in the eyes & cause running - especially if you are ony noticing it in one eye, this might be the problem!

Tristan had (among other pet-store puppy issues) blocked tear ducts; one was really bad when he was a puppy - it just ran all the time. Then he bit an electrical cord and got shocked and it magically cleared up (DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME :rolleyes: ). His eyes still ran a lot especially when he was excited or active. This was mainly clear fluid though. If there has been a sudden strange color change, you might call and run it by the vet.

Patt
09-23-2006, 10:11 AM
Good advice given! I would check with your vet on her next wellness exam appointment, unless it gets worse.
BTW as of today it is 'fall'. :D

Anatresia
09-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Shhhh... Patt. Don't say the "F" word yet. :rotfl: I think her appt. is in Oct. or Nov. F*ll. Not September, which is still "summer" to me. :rotfl: (Actually, the longsleeved shirts are in the washer right now- they made the sad procession down from the attic yesterday. I was NOT a happy camper.)

Her eyes are not running at all- they never do. They're just gooey. I think they produce lots of moisture so she can look all sad and innocent when she's being a :evilgrin:

catstamm
09-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Jen has very big eyes, and they water and get goobers more than the other girls. But she is fine.....Blocked tear ducts are very painful and would be very red and swollen. I would ask the vet ...but it's probably nothing....

lotsadox
09-23-2006, 11:24 AM
When mine have irritations in their eyes, I wash them out with saline. It's gentle and seems to clear up the problem. Some drug stores carry saline eye drops or you can buy the saline that they sell for contact lens wearers.

oceangirls
09-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Blocked tear ducts are very painful and would be very red and swollen.

Tristan's wasn't, but I suspect his blockage was a congenital defect.

Pokeys Mom
09-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Julie's eyes do the same thing. We call them eye boogers. I asked the vet about it once and she said that their was nothing wrong, that she just have really active ducts. I just wipe it away when I notice, which is pretty often. You may want to ask your vet, but I wouldn't consider it important enough to mke an appointment about asap......JMHO. It could also be an allergy. Brave Sir Pokey gets "morning eye goopers," that we wipe away just about every morning. When we adopted him, we asked the vet right away. Turns out that his eyes are completely fine, and most of the goopers are caused by general allergies (-vet treatment) and stuff getting in his eyes (dust, lint, etc.)