PDA

View Full Version : Oh My....

Bella's Mom
09-23-2006, 06:54 PM
This little guy is a mess! :rotfl: It is going to be a looooonnnnnggggg night! The only time he does not cry is if he is being held! Put him in the pen and within seconds.....Bella is looking at Cooper like he has lost his mind! :rotfl: This is way new to us. Bella did not cry like this at all. I have a feeling Mr. Cooper will be a big difference! I guess I better take a deep breath and rise to the challenge! His cuteness will be his saving grace. :rolleyes:

Anatresia
09-23-2006, 07:02 PM
That's Mr. Butters technique! Don't coddle him when he cries, or he'll use it against you. Learn to ignore him. Try all the separation anxiety tricks- like putting a ticking clock near the crate and a warm blanket.

Be careful with all that cuteness. :D

Otto'sMom
09-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Just be sure the ticking clock doesn't have the alarm on.:shocked:
As always, you can try my favorite remedy: KONG. It makes my puppers so well behaved!

Patt
09-23-2006, 08:39 PM
The joys of puppyhood. ;) Good advice from Tracy. Don't coddle him b/c all you are doing is encouraging that particular behavior. It will be a long night but he will get use to it. I second the Kong!

Check out “The joys and frustrations of a new puppy” and "Bringing bowser home" among other tips.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/tpuppy.html

http://www.perfectpaws.com/pup17.html

Jen
09-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Good advice given. Kong, clock NO cuddling!!

K2
09-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Great advice given!! Be strong!!! :hearts: And let us know how things turn out!!

Chris
09-24-2006, 06:14 PM
at night is bella crated with Cooper or next to Cooper or is she in bed with you while he was in the crate/pen?

catstamm
09-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Guess why puppies are so cute!!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

jenfer
09-24-2006, 07:20 PM
:goodluck:

I am glad Gigi is a big girl now. :rotfl:

Maybe Bella can have a big sister talk with her little brother? lol.

Tex
09-25-2006, 07:58 AM
ITA with the advice given!!! Good luck!!!!:hug99:

Bella's Mom
09-25-2006, 11:04 AM
at night is bella crated with Cooper or next to Cooper or is she in bed with you while he was in the crate/pen?
Cooper has a crate next to Bella's. It doesn't matter, he still cries, barks...It has been a LONG weekend. He cries, barks...constantly. I've tried the Kong he won't even look at it. He has a comfort pup in his crate, it doesn't help, nice warms blankets, a toy that has littermates smell on it. He won't even eat unless you sit in the pen with him. I know this is bad. We moved his crate to another room last night so Bella could sleep. She's looking at him like are you ever going to be quiet. She'll even go over to the pen to lay next to it. It's like she's trying to get him to be quiet. Even when we take him out to potty he clings to my leg at jumps up and cries, cries, cries...

This is new to us. Bella didn't cry but for 5 minutes the first night we put her in the crate. We are determined to crate train him and we've read all the books and what they say we should do. I tell DH to let him cry. DH is amazed that after such a long time the pup isn't exhausted and won't sleep. Facts are, he has to get used to his pen, he has to get used to the crate and he has to get used to us not being there.

I'll try the clock thing and put his blankets in the dryer to warm them up to see if it helps. Bella, daddy and mommy are so tired....Oh and it looks like he may have a hernia. The breeder said it would go away but then I pointed out that it was in the umbilical region and she said if it doesn't go away the vet would fix it when he's neutered. I'm like huh? She said they would pay for it if there was something wrong so I asked her to write it down. This is not the same breeder we got Bella from. The situation there isn't as good as what I expected. No animals being mistreated or unclean just too many and the whole "bump" as she calls it stuff. I don't know...I'm just tired... Any other suggestions are welcome. I came to work to get some rest... :rotfl: Poor DH is at home with the crybaby and precious Bella.

Chris
09-25-2006, 11:37 AM
I am surprised that he still carries on with Bella right next to him!
Hmm..maybe keep the people out of the pen so he associates that as his space and he needs to comfort himself when he is in it?

It might all boil down to every puppy being different. When we had the litter of rescue pups here, there were 2 that would cry and carry on, a few that would entertain themselves, etc, and a few that needed to have eachother.

Patt
09-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Has he been to the vet yet? I think he should be checked out to make sure he doesn't have any medical problems that are keeping him up all night. Be sure to take a fecal sample on your first vist.

Lisa
09-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Oh my, I am getting flashbacks to when we got Pixel. Pogo was such an awesome Puppy, but not Pix. It was so bad Rafi and I really thought we may have made a mistake with him. We ended up putting Pixel's crate on a chair and Rafi's fingers though it.

But I am with Patt, make sure there is nothing medically wrong with him.

I REALLY do understand your pain! Lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: I always said the #1 question I would ask if I ever get another puppy is - are they vocal?

Bella's Mom
09-25-2006, 01:14 PM
But I am with Patt, make sure there is nothing medically wrong with him.

I REALLY do understand your pain! Lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: I always said the #1 question I would ask if I ever get another puppy is - are they vocal?
I had a vet appointment for Friday but I do agree, I want to make sure he isn't in pain or anything, especially with his bump (that kills me). I'm going to call and see if they can get me in any sooner.

AND...I was told he was a really calm and laid back little guy. He was when we went to visit so I was pretty reassured. I'm sure it's the whole puppy thing but to cry and carry on 24 hours a day if you're not being held is too much. :faint: Tired...oh so tired...

Courtney
09-25-2006, 01:26 PM
Now you know why we rescuers prefer to foster senior dogs...hahaha! I feel your pain. I think he will settle in - his adjustment period just may be longer. I would try your hardest to occupy him or tire him out and NOT give in and just hold him...I know that is a lot harder than it sounds. Good luck!

Bella's Mom
09-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Will it get better?? :shocked: I've never had a pup this bad before. He is an odd one for sure. Still cries and barks 24/7 unless you hold him. He will play with Bella for a few minutes quietly but other than that, cry and bark. He's cried and barked so much his voice is hoarse. His whimpers are now scratchy sounding. He has pooped twice outside but normally waits until he is back in his pen to unleash and then proceed to walk through it and track it everwhere.:faint: I can't pin down his bowel movements. He eats but will hold it for hours! I've never had a pup do this. I'm buying pumpkin tonight to see if it will help. His poops aren't hard nor runny just puppy poops. DH got home today to find poop all over the pen and I guess Bella must've gotten sick and puked next to the pen! Probably gagged on the smell! :rotfl: This little guy is a hard one. I've tried the kong, the clock, the warm blanket...everything. All he wants is OUT!! DH said he's giving it two weeks and I keep reminding him we're not those type of people. He is ours for life and we have to figure it out. We can't get in to the vet until Saturday. Hopefully we can at least rule out any possible medical issues from the equation. I love our little Cooper and just hope he can relax and settle in. I feel bad for him that he is this "traumatized" but I know I can't pick him up and carry him constantly - frankly I don't want to. Poor Bella is looking at me like how could you do this mutter.... Send some comfort and training :bigrayz: everybody...we need them. :please:

areese
09-26-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm thinking he might need to be in something smaller than the pen for now?? Maybe if he's in a crate he won't poop in it cuz he has no room to get away from it.
tons of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for you all!

Frzframe
09-26-2006, 02:27 PM
I think Amy is on to something. Maybe with a smaller crate he'll feel safe and settle down. I'd also put a blanket over the crate at night. A blanket over the crate is supposed to help a puppy/dog settle down because it can't see what it's missing (I guess).

Bella's Mom
09-26-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm thinking he might need to be in something smaller than the pen for now?? Maybe if he's in a crate he won't poop in it cuz he has no room to get away from it.
tons of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for you all!
DH says that is where he's at now. He said he quieted down for a few minutes and then proceeded to throw another fit. :rolleyes: I think our Cooper boy just needs time...it's hard on us but imagine what this little guy must be thinking. It's alot of changes for the little guy. So tired... :duh:

phoria2
09-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Sending you some :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for strength!! You will get through this.
I was up every couple of hours with my two for the first week or so and they had each other for company! I learned that if I did not let them sleep much during the day and ran them around as much as possible they were better at night. Also the small crate will probably help alot with the potty training.

Mama S.
09-26-2006, 07:22 PM
I soooo sucked at puppyhood. I got soo tired that I ended up sleeping on the floor in the living room with my fingers through the crate. Baadd I know but desperate for sleep made me fall. Here's hoping that you are stronger!!
mama