View Full Version : Trixie has been poisoned

JuneyTrixie
09-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Apparently, she ate a mushroom that was poisonous to her. She ate some last night and I caught her and took it away. She had diarrhea and threw up multiple times. Then this morning, she was fine and running around. Then in the afternoon, she went to the very same place where she found the mushrooms and started eating the roots, which I thought that I had picked up. She was very sick again. I will be taking her tomorrow to the vet.

I looked on the internet to find out how to destroy mushrooms, but apparently, everyone thinks that mushrooms are great and shouldn’t be destroyed or they state that mushrooms are very hard to destroy.

I am so worried about her. She had been lying next to me on the couch and I checked her and at first, I thought she was dead, but she was just laying there.

lizzieb38
09-28-2006, 09:25 PM
OMG, maybe you shouldn't wait. I'd take some of the mushrooms and get her to the vet right away. Did you find out what kind of mushrooms they were. Don't take any chances, she's too wonderful to lose. I'm not real experience with wild mushrooms, but most of the one around here are poison- redw/the white spots etc.:pray: :pray: :pray: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that your lil honey is okay!

Patt
09-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Is it possible to get the mushroom identified? If no one in the neighborhood knows for sure, how about a local nursery person? Some mushrooms can be very toxic to pets. Most cause irritated stomachs but others can cause damage to heart, liver and kidneys.

Since she is lethargic I would contact your vet or emergency vet ASAP.

Sending mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Trixie.

p.s. Take one of the mushrooms with you maybe someone will recognize it for being non-poisonous or poison.

Anatresia
09-28-2006, 10:01 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

I agree- a trip to the emergency vet sounds pretty necessary right now!

Big RAYZ for Trixie!:bigrayz: :bigrayz:

oceangirls
09-28-2006, 10:18 PM
sending rayz! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: My mom had that problem with her cocker, Adam... he kept finding new mushrooms to eat :rolleyes: You might need to monitor her closely tonight if you want to wait until morning for a vet visit - I know that you know what signs of concern to watch for.

Tex
09-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Oh no!!! Sending mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Trixie and big :pray: and :hug99: for you!!!!

AgileOllie
09-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Apparently, she ate a mushroom that was poisonous to her. She ate some last night and I caught her and took it away. She had diarrhea and threw up multiple times. Then this morning, she was fine and running around. Then in the afternoon, she went to the very same place where she found the mushrooms and started eating the roots, which I thought that I had picked up. She was very sick again. I will be taking her tomorrow to the vet.

I looked on the internet to find out how to destroy mushrooms, but apparently, everyone thinks that mushrooms are great and shouldn’t be destroyed or they state that mushrooms are very hard to destroy.

I am so worried about her. She had been lying next to me on the couch and I checked her and at first, I thought she was dead, but she was just laying there.

We just spent 2 weeks in my Micology class on Mushrooms. They can be very dangerous- especially wild ones, although even "edible" ones can be too.

Whatever you do, don't pick them up with your hands- use gloves and put them directly in a garbage bag and out in the trash.

Take Trixie to the vet first thing in the morning with a sample (in a plastic bag) of what she ate.

Even the spores can be harmful to humans. If you eat after you've handled them without washing your hands, you could also become very sick.

I hope she feels better soon.

Tonya

AgileOllie
09-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Is it possible to get the mushroom identified? If no one in the neighborhood knows for sure, how about a local nursery person? Some mushrooms can be very toxic to pets. Most cause irritated stomachs but others can cause damage to heart, liver and kidneys.

Since she is lethargic I would contact your vet or emergency vet ASAP.

Sending mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Trixie.

p.s. Take one of the mushrooms with you maybe someone will recognize it for being non-poisonous or poison.

The bad thing about mushrooms is that you can't tell which ones are dangerous just by looking at them. In a study that was conducted by a micologist in my area showed that nurseries and other "garden" places couldn't identify mushrooms by looking at them- one place even said the ones brought in were edible, when they were infact one of the most poisonous mushrooms out there.

What color was the mushroom she ate?

Chris
09-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Mushrooms sometimes spring up when there isn't enough lime in the soil.
I would lime the yard or at least the main areas they spring up. and be genersous with it. That's the advice we got and it worked when we put enough down.

Patt
09-28-2006, 10:51 PM
The bad thing about mushrooms is that you can't tell which ones are dangerous just by looking at them. In a study that was conducted by a micologist in my area showed that nurseries and other "garden" places couldn't identify mushrooms by looking at them- one place even said the ones brought in were edible, when they were infact one of the most poisonous mushrooms out there.

What color was the mushroom she ate?Wow, that's awful. I guess the State Ag people would be in the know, but that would take way too much time.

Yolanda
09-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Faye,

Lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :pray: :pray: that "our" little girl will be OK. Please if she gets worse get her to the vets ASAP.

JuneyTrixie
09-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Thank you very much, everyone. When I talked to the vet office this afternoon, they told me that since Trixie is drinking water, that was a good sign. She said that it probably would be better if I kept her overnight, since there isn't really anyone monitoring the animals in Trixie's condition overnight.

Trixie is sleeping right now. Every once in awhile, I look at her and wonder if she is okay. Usually, when the kitty comes downstairs and starts talking, Trixie runs to Kitty, but not tonight. She won’t wag her tail, either. I had to clean her this afternoon because she had diarrhea all over her little bottom and legs.

This is really hard on me because I work now, so I have to call my son and ask him how Trixie is doing, and like all mommies, I don't trust what he is saying about my little Trixie, so I worry more.

The mushroom is kind of orange, but I couldn't find reference to it on the internet. I did last night, but not tonight. I hope to find an example tomorrow so I can bring it to the vet.

Right now, I'm keeping Trixie on a leash since she is my "eater" of wild plants, although she wasn't too interested in being outside, except once when the big dogs next door came up to the fence. Then for about 3-4 minutes, she was checking out the fence, and I got happy. Then she stopped and just sat there looking at me, so I picked her up and brought her back into the house.

Chris, doesn’t lime hurt dogs? I would be afraid to put that down.

Lisa
09-29-2006, 05:57 AM
OMG Faye! Please update us this morning. Lots of rayz for Trixie. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Chris
09-29-2006, 09:16 AM
You would keep her off the part of the lawn that was limed until it had time to settle out (like do the backyard first and take her out the front to go on the leash instead - or do half the backyard and leash her to go out and then rotate the side). When we have done it, my boys have had no problems. We wash their feet when the come in just in case after it settles for awhile there are a few specs that haven't absorbed over time.

When mushrooms pop up - at least in our case - it means that your soil is too acidic. We have a lot of oak trees and the leaves cause ours to be acidic.

HotDogMama
09-29-2006, 09:19 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: lots of rays for Trixie!! I hope she is ok, please keep us updated! :hug99:

AgileOllie
09-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Did it look like this?

http://gallery.cs.umb.edu/gallery/album375

JuneyTrixie
09-29-2006, 10:17 AM
This morning, Trixie wagged her tail a little bit, but seemed uninterested in leaving the bed, even when I opened the bedroom door. I carried her downstairs, then put her down in front of the water dish, but never noticed her drinking and water. I then took Juney and Trixie outside and Trixie was not interested in playing until one point, whatever Juney was doing sounded interesting. I let Trixie play where Juney was, then took her to the middle of the yard. Trixie just sat there. I looked around for a sample of the mushroom, but I think because the weather has been so cold, they are gone for now.

I stayed really close to Trixie, and kept an eye on her. At one point, she started going into a seizure, so I had to take her to the vet hospital. The seizure lasted several minutes. The vet is keeping her for observation and taking a blood test. He said that while Trixie looked okay, she was very subdued and her heart was beating awfully fast. If needed, I will be taking her to another hospital, which is a referral hospital.

I just feel awful. She looked like she was getting better, but now, I realize that she wasn’t. I’m so afraid that she isn’t going to make it.

No, Tonya, it didn't look like that, but I do remember that it was flat on top and did not have smooth edges.

lotsadox
09-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Oh, Faye, how did I miss this post yesterday? :scratch: I"m so :sorry: that Trixie got into the mushrooms. I never would have thought of that. We have tons of mushrooms that grow in our yard when the weather is cool and damp. I've never even thought of them being dangerous. :shocked:

Sending tons of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Trixie and :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for you. Please keep us updated.

Almost Doxie
09-29-2006, 10:34 AM
Oh how terrible.

Which vet do you go to?

AgileOllie
09-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Here is a link that may help you identify it. Identity is the key- I'll also ask my Instructor if he has any ideas. Your vet may want to put her on an IV to help support her kidneys.

http://www.magic-mushrooms.net/MMPICKINGGUIDE.HTML

Jen
09-29-2006, 10:49 AM
Oh no, poor Trixie!! Sending mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and a :bighug: for you Faye! Definitely get another opinion if you can. We're all pulling for Trixie!!

Tex
09-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Sending extra big :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for little Trixie!!!!!!:hug99:

samandissy
09-29-2006, 11:02 AM
:pray: :pray: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :hearts: :hearts: :pray: :pray: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :pray: :hearts:

Lisa
09-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Faye, thank you for checking in! I am sending tons of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :pray: :pray: :pray: for Trixie!

Patt
09-29-2006, 11:46 AM
Sending tons of magical DLC :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :pray:ers for Trixie. :hug99: :hug99:

mydachsies
09-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Many :pray: :pray: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Trixie. I know this must be really hard on you so sending you a :hug99: .She'll pull through!

JanUet
09-29-2006, 11:56 AM
I am so :sorry: I missed your post.

Sending Big, Huge, Magical DLC :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to Trixie and a :bighug: to you Faye.

Please keep us posted. :please:

Otto'sMom
09-29-2006, 12:43 PM
First and most importantly, BIG FAT HONKING GET WELL :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Second: Before I read your post yesterday, I was outside picking up dog poo in the yard and just for the heck of it, picked up all the shrooms too, cause they were stinky and a couple of them looked like turds. Looks like I picked up some of your vibes, and it probably saved me some heartache. Thank you.

blueyezz74
09-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Oh, poor Trixie!!! Please keep us updated, Faye!!!

-:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

K2
09-29-2006, 02:13 PM
:omg: I am so sorry!!! Sending lots and lots and lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and some :pray: :pray: :pray: Please keep us posted.:hug99:

catstamm
09-29-2006, 02:35 PM
I would get her to emergency ASAP

alfina
09-29-2006, 02:43 PM
I hope Trixie will start feeling better soon. How is she feeling?

Bella's Mom
09-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Oh my! Any update on Trixie? Lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for her.:pray:

JuneyTrixie
09-29-2006, 03:08 PM
I talked to the vet and he said that the mushrooms caused throwing up and diarrhea, which in turn caused severe dehydration. The good news is that her liver and kidneys are great! The bad news is that her blood was super concentrated, her white blood count was very high, and her sodium, chloride, and potassium levels were super low. The very low count of potassium levels is what caused the seizures and later on her tremors at the vet office.

Since he was not going to be able to do 24 hour watch on her through the night, he suggested I take her to the emergency clinic. After hearing about the symptoms, the emergency vet said that hopefully, Trixie will be able to go home in the morning, but if she takes a turn for the worse, she will have to stay longer.

I will be picking up Trixie at 4:00 p.m. to take her to the emergency clinic.

AlmostDoxie, Trixie’s vet is Dr. Ryan Bock in Marion.

Almost Doxie
09-29-2006, 03:24 PM
The emergency clinic is WONDERFUL!!! We were taking our little Chinese Crested out there for acupuncture and they were so nice. I had a friend whose dog was diagonsed with epilepsy and she was treated out there. I am sure they will be able to take good care of Trixie.

I am so glad to hear that she is going to make it. I have been thinking about you guys all day. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :pray: :pray: :pray: for continued recovery.

Mama S.
09-29-2006, 04:26 PM
OH gosh - I somehow missed this also. PLEASE know that I am sending major :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to Trixie... I will use this as a learning experience, have had shrooms in our backyard - never thought anything about them - you've changed my mind.
BLess you Trixie for having to go through this to give us some better knowledge.
Mama

Frzframe
09-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Poor Trixie. I hope she is feeling better by now but here are some :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: get well rayzzzz just in case she still needs them and a big ol' :hug99: for you.

Jen
09-29-2006, 04:43 PM
Whew, I was holding my breath reading this one--so good the prognosis sounds pretty hopeful. Sending more :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and a :bighug: for you!

lotsadox
09-29-2006, 05:42 PM
I'm so glad that Trixie is feeling better. :cheer2: :cheer2: I've been checking the board all day for updates. :banana: :hearts: :banana:

Patt
09-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Oh I am so happy to hear Trixie is doing okay. Sending more feel better :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Tixie.

JuneyTrixie
09-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Trixie is not home, yet. I just had to transport her from the vet office to the emergency clinic because they can keep a eye out for her all night long, like an ICU ward. She wagged her tail a little when she saw me, but then never wagged her tail again.

The vet said that her sodium and chloride levels are back to normal, and they are working on her potassium levels. I got mixed up in an earlier post...low sodium and chloride levels cause seizures, and low potassium levels cause weakness. The emergency vet said that he hoped that Trixie would be well enough to come home tomorrow sometime.

Patt
09-29-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm sure she is in good hands at the E-Clinic. They will keep a close eye on her for sure. :pray:ers for a speedy and complete recovery.

Alex's Mom
09-30-2006, 08:59 AM
Just saw this...I am SO sorry little miss Trixie isn't feeling great...but the prognosis sounds good *phew* Sending a ton of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for her continued recovery, and a :bighug: to you cuz I KNOW how worried you must be!!! Keep us updated, OK?

oceangirls
09-30-2006, 10:25 AM
I'm glad things are looking good, but sorry you had to go through all that! :(

Low potassium (as well as high potassium) can also cause heart arrhythmias, so that is probably why they will keep a close eye on her until that is under control.

Rayz to both of you :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Lisa
09-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Glad she went to where she could be watched all night! Please let us know when the little girl is home. I still keeping my fingers crossed and sending lots of Rayz Faye!! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Patt
10-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Is Trixie home and how is she doing? Or did I miss an update? :scratch:

JuneyTrixie
10-01-2006, 08:39 PM
I am really sorry about not letting you know the newest development. I thought I had already done that and I was concentrating on taking care of Trixie.

Trixie has been home since yesterday afternoon although I forgot to let you guys know. Trixie is doing well, but she is very tired and while she likes going outside, she gets tired easily and wants to come back in after 10 minutes or less. She has been sleeping most of the time since she came home. Yesterday, her hind legs were a little wobbly, then got better and she only had mild tremors. Now her hind legs look much better and I haven't seen any evidence of tremors or wobbliness today. She is like velcro while here. Juney has been wanting more attention, too.

In the computer room, I have a doggy bed with sides, a burrow doggy bed, and a kennel cab crate. Since Trixie has been home, and whenever I'm in the computer room, she has been sleeping in the crate. I guess she needs the extra security of being home.

I know that at hospital, they gave her more blankets than they usually give dogs because she kept on trying to make a nest.

Tonight, I took Trixie out and she started actually running! She was on a leash, so that meant that I had to run after her! :faint:

lizzieb38
10-01-2006, 08:43 PM
So happy to hear that little Honey is feeling better. I was so worried about her. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: for Trixie, and you too!!!

Helen
10-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Whew! That is such good news. Thanks for the update! Lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: that Trixie is back to 100% very soon.

areese
10-01-2006, 08:54 PM
SO so SO glad to hear she is ok!!!!

Jen
10-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Running--:wow: a great sign! Was she uh, chasing anything?? :D

Tex
10-01-2006, 09:06 PM
SO glad to hear a good update on Trixie!!!!!! Sending :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for continued improvement!!!

K2
10-01-2006, 09:14 PM
I :love5: good news updates~keep them coming!!! Sending more :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: Trixie's way!

Patt
10-01-2006, 09:22 PM
I'm thrilled to hear Trixie is home and doing okay. Sending more :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for a full recovery.