PDA

View Full Version : Weird question about volunteering at a shelter

Kerie
12-25-2005, 01:28 AM
I have a VERY severe allergy to cats. So much so that I NEVER step foot into the homes of people with a cats and I've had arguments with friends about that. When they are up all night scratching their eyes out and wheezing, I'll be there to ask them whether they ever want to feel like that again.

Ok, this isn't supposed to be a vent about that issue. What I want to know is: Can I possibly volunteer in a shelter and work just with dogs? If cats are sharing the same airspace, it's probably not a good idea. Should I find out if any local shelters are dog only? Also, there is a guide dog training center here. Do they take volunteers?

Next question, kinda related. What do the shelters use to fight fleas? Another allergy of mine, though not as severe, is pyrethrin, an ingredient in older style flea sprays and powders (it's NOT in Frontline).

Pokeys Mom
12-25-2005, 02:41 AM
Oooooooh- check out volunteering for Guide Dogs! My mom's friend did work like that, and it's just amazing.

My FIL has the same cat allergy. I think it's best to stay in a dog environment. Although, how are you at the vet's office? Just a thought.

Jacqueline
12-25-2005, 04:15 AM
My sister in law got really ticked at us because I finally had to refuse to go to her house. She has way too many cats, and her cat housekeeping is not that good. I would have thought actually seeing the tears roll down my face and my eyes getting red and puffy would have convinced her that I really did have a major problem.......but we know that I was just being petty. :sosad:

I feel for you. I actually had cats ages ago, but had to get them when they were barely weened at four weeks and kept them almost velcroed onto me as they matured. Any stray cat or any cat not mine would set the allergies up again. It seems to be some hormone in them that develops after puberty.

There are shots you can take if you really want to work at the shelters, and there aren't any cat free ones.

Our animal control shelter down here uses Frontline on the animals. I would imagine they all use some kind of dip for animals coming in loaded with fleas. The local no kill shelter keeps the cats and dogs separate. Check around. Good luck.

Lisa
12-25-2005, 09:44 AM
I have the exact same allergy! It is hard to convince someone that you sincerely like cats too...they always take offence - I'll vacuum, or my house is very clean....ummm yeah - thanks, but I am still going to suffer - no matter how much Reactine I take.

The weird thing is, when I was younger, I had the same allergy to dogs, but have seem for the most part to have outgrown it. I still can't hold Pixel in my face for long periods of time - but it is not really severe anymore at all.

I would stay in a dog only facility. If there are cats, you will suffer. I am sorry I don't know about the flea spray. Once you decide on a couple organizations, maybe ask them and that might narrow it down for you.

:way2go: for wanting to help our animals in need! There can never be enough :angel7: :angel7: like you!

lotsadox
12-25-2005, 11:38 AM
I'd check into volunteering with the guide dogs. Although most shelters keep the cats and dogs separate, you may have to pass through the cat areas and usually at shelters the housekeeping isn't that good. You could ask though. They may also need help in the adoption area working mostly with people. It wouldn't be as much fun as working with the dogs, but you would be helping them out.

Patt
12-26-2005, 03:47 AM
ITA with the others, better stay out of the shelter many b/c it is for dogs & cats. I think it would be wonderful to volunteer for a Guide Dog Org. Perhaps you can call your local Humane Society and they could give you suggestions.

:thanx: for wanting to help out.

squirrel818
12-26-2005, 05:12 AM
I work at an all cat shelter but I've been volunteering for years. Every shelter I have been in keeps that cats and dogs in seperate rooms. Often though cats are kept in a common area like the lobby or reception area. Go and visit your local shelters (or call and ask) to see if they keep the cats in their own private rooms. If you want to just help with the dogs I'm sure any shelter would be thrilled to have your help. Just explain your allergy to them. In Nebraska I mostly worked with dogs, I wouldn't have even had any contact with cats except that i wanted to work in surgery. There may be a shelter in your area that only accepts dogs, they do exist, it may take some searching to find them though. Any org that deals exclusively with one species will probably be fairly small. Thank you so much for wanting to help, I think you will find that the fullfillment you get is so worth the time. If you need any additional info send me a pm. :)

p.s. Patrice, our shelter is so clean you could eat off the floor!