PDA

View Full Version : Cooper Vet Visit

Bella's Mom
10-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Well Cooper the Pooper's vet visit on Saturday went well. He received a clean bill of health. He weighs 4.8 lbs! :shocked: That is almost two pounds more than Bella weighed at that age (she was the runt though). I asked the vet if that was a concern and she said no. he's stocky but not overweight at all. We were actually worried about his weight cause he felt so light and you could see his ribs but I guess we were worrying too much. He does have a hernia in his umbilical region. The vet said they could fix it when he is neutered and not to be too concerned. He was a good boy the whole time and let everyone coo over him.

Coop is settling in and becoming more comfortable with his surroundings. Bella is good with him 98% of the time and we give her lots of reassurance and love. He and Bella give each other beat-downs on a daily basis and seem to enjoy wrestling. He follows her and mimics everything she does. He has been watching her "go" to the bathroom and now he is doing the sniffy-sniff, circle, circle, circle aka "The Poopy Dance." :rotfl: We still have some potties in the house and I'm thinking about getting a belly band (any suggestions) to help with the tinkle every five minutes. We've been calling him Sir Pees-A-Lot! The vet said not to be concerned that bladder control will improve with time. All in all, we're improving everyday, crate training is going VERY well and we're getting more sleep. So....GO COOPER!:cheer2: :banana:

Frzframe
10-02-2006, 11:28 AM
:cheer2: That's great news!! :cheer2:

I'm so glad he's starting to let you guys sleep.

phoria2
10-02-2006, 11:33 AM
YAY for Cooper!:cheer2: :banana: :cheer2:

A whole 4.8lbs already? He'll out weigh his sister in no time. She'll have to increase the "beat downs" to keep him in line! :rotfl::rotfl:

I'm so glad potty training is coming along. :cheer2: :banana: Don't get discouraged if takes longer than it did for Bella. Nathan was SIGNIFCANTLY slower at the "potty only outside" concept than Abby. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Patt
10-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Good news, happy to hear Cooper is a healthy puppy. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
As for the potty training, remember 'they' always say boys are slower than girls. :rotfl:
Use this rule of thumb: A puppy can hold his bladder for the number of hours equal to his age in months plus one.

jenfer
10-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Yay for his good health visit. Gigi had a harnia too and they took care of it when she was spayed.

Tex
10-02-2006, 12:45 PM
So glad that Cooper had a good checkup!!!!!!!:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Sending continued potty training :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: !
( I made some belly bands for Ja and they helped him learn that he didn't need to mark everything in our house!!!!)

Lee Anne
10-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Good news! Be careful with the hernia though... Rowdie's popped out when we were not looking (probably from playing too rough w/ Ruckus) and got hard and she had to have emergency surgery because some intestine could have been trapped. :sosad:

Bella's Mom
10-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Good news! Be careful with the hernia though... Rowdie's popped out when we were not looking (probably from playing too rough w/ Ruckus) and got hard and she had to have emergency surgery because some intestine could have been trapped. :sosad:
That is one of the risks per the vet. She said the opening hadn't closed so we just had to keep an eye on it. It makes me nervous especially since he and Bella play pretty hard together. The vet did say it was a good thing because they could push it in (there was some term for it). He'll definitely be getting neutered just as soon as he's ready.

lizzieb38
10-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Glad to hear "the Pooper" is doing so well. Maybe you should change it to the Peeper:rotfl: :rotfl:

catstamm
10-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Good news, happy to hear Cooper is a healthy puppy. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
As for the potty training, remember 'they' always say boys are slower than girls. :rotfl:
Use this rule of thumb: A puppy can hold his bladder for the number of hours equal to his age in months plus one.

:scratch: :scratch: What?.... can you break that down for the mentally challenged....
The way I am reading it....an 11 mth old pup can hold it for 12 hrs!!!!:shocked:
Like I said I'm mental....
Did the breeder tell you about the hernia????? A breeder sould have known that and brought it to your attention....

JanUet
10-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Great news about the check up! :D

Glad to read that Cooper and Bella are getting along and that he is learning from her. :hearts:

Bella's Mom
10-02-2006, 04:41 PM
:scratch: :scratch: What?.... can you break that down for the mentally challenged....
The way I am reading it....an 11 mth old pup can hold it for 12 hrs!!!!:shocked:
Like I said I'm mental....
Did the breeder tell you about the hernia????? A breeder sould have known that and brought it to your attention....
Bella girl can and will hold it if A) it's raining, B) she's tired and doesn't feel like it and/or C) Mommy & Daddy are gone and she's mad. :rotfl: There are always wee pads but it has to be dire circumstances for her to use it. :rotfl: As for the hernia. The breeder pointed it out and said it was a "bump" and would go away.:shocked: I told her it looked like an umbilical hernia to me and she looked surprised when I said it. I think she knew what it was. I had her write it down that she would pay for any extra costs that may be involved with having it repaired. She agreed of course.

Anatresia
10-02-2006, 04:47 PM
It's great that Cooper is doing so well!!!

Mr. Butters was 4 pounds at 12 weeks and Miss Rigby was about 3 pounds at 12 weeks. They should weigh 17 and 14 pounds or so now (they're 18.5 and 15.5 pounds, but we have been working on that.)

Sounds like Coop's gonna be a BIG BOY. :) Yay! A big rough and tumble boy!

Jen
10-02-2006, 08:36 PM
an 11 mth old pup can hold it for 12 hrs!!!!:shocked:

Ok, Tasha is 56 months old but the longest she's held her water is about 24-28 hours during major rainstorms. So I think the rule only applies for so long ;)

Glad the checkup went well and hope the hernia behaves till its time for the snip!

oceangirls
10-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I think the rule mainly applies to puppies, but it did seem pretty accurate for mine. I was surprised even as puppies that they held it as long as they did sometimes.

Angel had an inguinal hernia when she was about Cooper's age - it would pop out when she barked :rolleyes:, so the vet just told us to push it back in when it popped out and to keep an eye on it. He was planning to fix it when she was spayed, but it healed up on its own as she got bigger.

Bella's Mom
10-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Angel had an inguinal hernia when she was about Cooper's age - it would pop out when she barked :rolleyes:, so the vet just told us to push it back in when it popped out and to keep an eye on it. He was planning to fix it when she was spayed, but it healed up on its own as she got bigger.
:shocked: Ewwww! :rotfl: You can push Cooper's back in but it just normally sticks out there. :rolleyes: