PDA

View Full Version : Bogart's Dental

lotsadox
10-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Bogart has to have a dental done tomorrow. I'm taking him in at 8:00 and I'm going to be a very nervous mom until I hear he's okay. He's 14 and I'm so nervous about him being under anesthetic. We'd appreciate any :bigrayz: that you can send.

Teddysmom
10-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Sending some dental :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Bogart and :pray: ing that things go smoothly and he's back in your arms in no time!
:hug99: :hug99: for you as well, mom.

catstamm
10-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Awwww Bogart and Mom...I'm sure he'll be fine if he has gas only and an IV...Hans had a dental at 13 and 15 yrs and did great ....Me and the girls are thinkin' of ya....:hug99: :hearts: :hug99: :hearts: :hug99:

jenfer
10-04-2006, 03:33 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mr. Bogart and :hug99: for you. You know where to find me if you want to talk. :)

Alex's Mom
10-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Sending tons of be safe :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: to Bogart, and a million :hug99::hug99: to his worried mom.

I'm in the same boat...Alex has a bad heart (she's mid-stage congestive heart failure), and her teeth are awful...and I do mean AWFUL!!!!!!!!! If she went into rescue right now I'd be roundly cursed as a very bad owner, believe me! But my vet is really concerned that she might die under the anaesthetic because of her heart, and yet her teeth are making her heart issue worse. I KNOW how terrible I'd feel if she died getting her teeth done, and so would my vet Laura, but I feel equally horrible because there's a problem that needs to be attended to, and I'm not fixing it. We keep going round and round on it, and I really don't know what to do about this one.

lotsadox
10-04-2006, 04:57 PM
I understand where you are completely. We've been avoiding this for a couple of years. I even had a lady who is a dental hygeinist (sp) and works on dogs come out to me house to work on his teeth a year ago, just trying to avoid having him put under for a dental. He's very healthy. The vet did blood work a month ago and it came back great, but at 14 it's still a worry.

:hug99: :hug99: to you, Paula. You are a great dachsie mom. It's such a hard decision to make when you have a senior with other health problems. :hearts:

Rae
10-04-2006, 05:10 PM
well Patrice you ought to know. You are an :angel7: and take wonderful care of your furkids too. I know you are worried - Duchie is only 10 and you know I freak when she has anesthesia too -

definite :bigrayz: for Bogart and his mama, and :ditto: your comments to Paula. I wish all dogs had it as good as the ones at your houses, and many of the other homes here on DLC.

(I secretly want to be put out to pasture at Yolanda's when I get old and earn my wheels....)

HotDogMama
10-04-2006, 05:14 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: lots of rays for Bogart, and a :bighug: for mama!! O, and I can't wait to see a pic of his pearly whites!! :D

lotsadox
10-04-2006, 05:24 PM
(I secretly want to be put out to pasture at Yolanda's when I get old and earn my wheels....)

Oooh, oooh *raiseshandandjumpsupanddown* ME, TOO! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Alex's Mom
10-04-2006, 08:04 PM
Thanks, Patrice, (and Rae). They are a worry when they get older, though, aren't they!!! Actually, you've inspired me to make an appointment with Laura and do a full work-up and make a decision about those teeth once and for all. I guess sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do!!! I'll be thinking about Bogart all day tomorrow!!!!!:hug99::hug99:

Patt
10-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Sending lots of dental :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :pray:ers that all will go well for Bogart. Many :hug99: :hug99: for you too.

I was always scared for my senior's dentals and even for the young ones. As long as Bogart's blood work is good there should be no problem. I know at our clinic the dogs and cats are closely monitored during and after dentals. I'm sure it's the same every where. My vet uses ISO (easier on the pets systems) for the anesthesia but I think there is one better. They only keep them under a short time. Be sure to keep us updated.
Don't forget a nail trim if he needs it. :)

Lisa
10-04-2006, 08:33 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Bogart tomorrow! Please let us know how it goes - you know the drill, we prefer with PICTURES!! :lol:

Bella's Mom
10-05-2006, 02:25 PM
:bigrayz: :pray: I hope everything goes well for Bogart!! :bigrayz:

Alex's Mom
10-05-2006, 07:15 PM
How's Bogart today, Patrice?

Lee Anne
10-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Yes, how is he? And poor, poor Paula! :hug99: to both of you :angel7:

Alex's Mom
10-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Yes, how is he? And poor, poor Paula! :hug99: to both of you :angel7:

:hug99::hug99: back at ya, Lee Anne!! It's just one of those senior dog things ya gotta deal with at times. I've actually made an appointment with Laura tomorrow afternoon to do a full workup and make a decision re: her teeth. I'll feel better when we have a plan, even if it's only antibiotics for life or something :rolleyes: She's fine within herself...a good quality of life still, and as long as I can maintain that, then I'll just do whatever it takes.

lotsadox
10-05-2006, 08:03 PM
I'm so sorry I didn't update earlier. Bogart did fine. He had to have 8 teeth pulled. :shocked: and needs to have more work done. I'm very upset. I don't know why my vet didn't have me take him in for a dental sooner. I know that she doesn't like to put them under anesthetic unnecessarily, but it looks like this WAS necessary. I feel like such a failure. I can't believe he's having to go through this now. I'm just very sad and upset tonight. I've been going to this vet for 18 years and one of the things I always liked about her was that she was so thorough. I just don't know how this happened. I feel like I can't depend on her and am going to have to be responsible for doing this on my own now for the dogs, too. I'm just :sosad:

Alex's Mom
10-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Oh Patrice!!!!! :hug99::hug99::hug99: Please don't feel like that...it totally wasn't your fault, and to be honest, maybe not even your vet's fault. This teeth thing can creep up on you, as I well know! If they're not showing actual pain, then it's hard to really see if there's anything going on. I wouldn't have noticed that Alex's teeth are as bad as they are if she hadn't developed a cyst on her lip which I noticed a couple of days ago. It was only while I was exploring the inside of her lip that I took a really good look at her teeth and saw all the black. And Laura checked them not all that long ago. Please please please don't blame yourself...you're the best mom EVER!!!!! :angel7: ::hearts: :hug99::hug99::hearts:

lotsadox
10-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks, Paula, I need some reassurance right now. I've had a very stressful couple of weeks and when this happened, I just cratered. I know it's no one's fault, but I just feel so bad for him and now he's going to have to have more work and feel bad again. It's just so awful.

Red Haired Girl
10-05-2006, 08:46 PM
I agree with Paula. Teeth are funny things. Think about our own teeth. One day you are fine, the next day you feel like your head will explode and you wonder WTF happened. Don't ever blame yourself.:hug99:

Tex
10-05-2006, 11:25 PM
OMG I feel so bad-how the h*ll did I miss this the first time???:oops:
Ok, first, Patrice...you are a WONDERFUL doxie mama!!!! I understand where you're coming from.....we had to wait to do Jax's dental due to financing and I felt horrible too. Please don't beat yourself up over this.:hug99:
Second, sending huge, giant, mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Mr. Bogart!!!!!!! I know with your loving care, he will be fine!!!:hearts:

Patt
10-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Please do not feel guilty about this. You are NOT a failure! Sometimes we cannot control things no matter what we do. NO ONE is perfect, ever!!! There was no way either you or your vet could have known how bad Bogart’s teeth were until he was under anesthesia and a thorough examination could be made. The important thing is, Bogart made it through this ordeal with just a few teeth less and is doing fine.

The same thing can happen with us. You think your teeth look great on the outside, but when your dentist examines them, he finds problems you simply can't see in your mirror. On the down side, Bogart couldn't tell you he had problems. On the up side, your vet found his hidden problem(s) and set him on the road to recovery. So rather than feeling guilty, be glad you made a decision that will bring Bogart both better health and a longer healthier life.

Sending quick healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: Bogart will be back to his old self very soon. :hug99: :hug99: to Mom.