View Full Version : Last question, sitting up...

Lori
10-04-2006, 06:16 PM
You have all been so helpful. THANK YOU. These are things I have never worried about so I appreciate the input.

Can I train him to sit up. Is that bad for his back? He does it naturally sometimes when he smells something good and seems very balanced. I love to teach tricks and just wondered if this could be one "not" to teach him, my other three dogs sit up.

Then I'm done before you all get sick of me. It is just kind of exciting to talk to doxie people, I feel as if I have been in a void so to speak. Thanks again for all your help.

Lisa
10-04-2006, 06:23 PM
My little guy sits up all the time, my big one doesn't do it at much. I think weight management and the jumping off high levels that is a concern.

catstamm
10-04-2006, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't teach him to sit up if it doesn't come naturally to him. Many doxies sit on thier rump for quite a while...without being taught. It is genetic, some can, some can't. I think all your questions are great BTW :banana: ....a good book to start with is "Dachshunds for Dummies"....you should pic up a copy...lots of good reading

JanUet
10-04-2006, 06:37 PM
My furkids taught themselves.
Just look at the pics below! :rotfl:

jenfer
10-04-2006, 06:56 PM
I don't teach Gigi to sit up. She just did it herself. haha. If she does it once in awhile, I let her do that briefly, but I don't ask her to do it. If I let her, she can sit pretty for a long time. haha.

blueyezz74
10-04-2006, 06:58 PM
My big boy sit up to get a better angle of the kitchen table when it's dinner time. My mini doesn't know how to do this but then again he thinks he a kangaroo. :scratch:

Lisa
10-04-2006, 07:07 PM
a good book to start with is "Dachshunds for Dummies"....you should pic up a copy...lots of good reading Such a great idea Cat. I LOVED that book, has so much information that just relates to the uniqueness of the breed.

Frzframe
10-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Mitzi is a self taught begger. She is way to cute to make her stop. :rolleyes:

Lori
10-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Yes that is what he does when he smells something good. LOL. Your dogs are adorable BTW.

My furkids taught themselves.
Just look at the pics below! :rotfl:

Lori
10-04-2006, 07:34 PM
so you guys recommend Dachshund for Dummies. I'll order it today! I bought The Everything Dachshund and was a little disappointed frankly. I love to read and have many breed books so if you can think of any other doxie books that would be helpful I'd appreciate it.

Otto'sMom
10-04-2006, 07:44 PM
US get sick of talking about our favorite subject of doxie habits, traits and lessons we've learned the hard way?? Surely you jest..I mean Lori you jest :D
Otto is a self taught meerkat sitter. When he wants my attention, he does it and he sits forever! We just had a thread where we posted pics of our puppers sitting like that. Very cuteClick here for doxies sitting up (http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=8677)

Frzframe
10-04-2006, 07:49 PM
How in the world did I miss that thread! :faint: Going to find my little meerkat Mitzi in action to add it on there.

Patt
10-04-2006, 08:14 PM
so you guys recommend Dachshund for Dummies. I'll order it today! I love to read and have many breed books so if you can think of any other doxie books that would be helpful I'd appreciate it.D for D is a terrific book. I'm a big fan of Cesar Millan "The Dog Whisperer" so I would highly recommend his book "Cesar's Way". BTW his book is for all dogs not just Dachshunds. Other books are "The Dachshund An Owner's Survival Guide" by Diane Morgan. Also my other favorite author on dog behavior is Patricia McConnell.

I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations on books. :goodluck: and happy reading.

lizzieb38
10-04-2006, 11:53 PM
The only dumb question is the question you don't ask?? Check out mayhew's thread " Can your dog stand like this". There's bunches of our babers sitting up. Willie just started doing it on his own!!!!!! Clover can if she wants, but I don't make her do it for a treat, etc. Willer's almost like a lil jack in the box when it comes to treats and food:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Tex
10-05-2006, 07:34 AM
My two are like "what??? you mean I gotta sit up now for a treat??" :scratch:

ITA that if your pups sits up already, it's propbably ok. Just watch the weight issue and hopefully nobody will fall over!!!! :duh:

I second Cat and Patt about D for D!!! Great book!!!!:banana:

areese
10-05-2006, 08:32 AM
An agility vet told me that it strengthens their stomach and back muscles to sit up, and a good strength-building exercise also is to have them go to standing on their back legs from the sitting up position. So we do that pretty regularly. Both mine sit up on their own though and I didn't teach them to. Owen will sit like that for an hour, his back as straight as a post. If there's food around or he needs some extra attention...

Bella's Mom
10-05-2006, 02:23 PM
My little guy sits up all the time, my big one doesn't do it at much. I think weight management and the jumping off high levels that is a concern.
Totally agree!

Lee Anne
10-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Hmmmm...:scratch: Ruckus was born knowing how to do it! His breeder said that I shouldn't "teach them" to do it - he said it's bad for them (doxies). But.... I don't know so when Ruckus does do it, I tell him to "get down." I figure I'd rather be safe than sorry. He does look awefully cute tho'. I just make a point never to reward him when he's doing it. Good for you asking all the good questions!:banana: