PDA

View Full Version : Agility demo

areese
10-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Laika and Owen participated in an agility demo today, at an elementary school.
Beamer (a lovely LH red doxie friend of ours) and his mom invited us.
THere were about 60 kids there. Laika and Owen did really well. There were these really wierd BLACK and RED weavpoles with a big thick black metal base. 12 of them. And Owen did them!!! Laika did too but she's experienced :) They did tricks for the crowd too. But the best was at the end when the kids were just milling about meeting the dogs. This little girl came up to me and asked could she "train one of my dogs" I asked her what she meant and she wanted to run one on the agility course. So I got Laika out, handed the girl a treat and said go for it and Laika ran SO nicely for her. Really having fun and running fast. Then everyone wanted to run her...she prob. did the little course 10 times!! She even did the weaves for this one boy L) And Owen did tricks for treats for strangers! He's usually shy but he did really well with the kids.
I have such great dogs :)

Teddysmom
10-06-2006, 08:42 PM
WOW! Sounds like your furkids really had a great time "showin' off for the kids! Sounds like the kids had almost as much fun as dogs; and I'm glad that Owen was not a shy, little "wall-flower". I'm jealous....they don't do anything like that around here in DE.!!!
Anyway....
WAY TO GO LAIKA AND OWEN!!!!!:woohoo::cheer2: :banana: :appl:

Frzframe
10-06-2006, 08:47 PM
That is so great Amy. I'm glad the kids had a good time seeing the pups in action and even more important that the pups had a good time strutting their stuff. :)

Tex
10-06-2006, 08:51 PM
:way2go: Owen & Laika!!!! Sounds like a great day!!!

lizzieb38
10-06-2006, 09:18 PM
How wonderful. Sounds like a great time. I still wish I could get Willie into that, but no one does that around here. When I come to MI, Amy we better go to an agility contest for your kids, so I can root them on.!!!!!

Patt
10-07-2006, 02:48 AM
A fun day for all. :cheer: How exciting for Laika & Owen showing off for the kids. :banana:

alfina
10-07-2006, 06:19 AM
That's very cool that they would do it for kids.

catstamm
10-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Laika and Owen are becoming real pros....that sounds like a great time!!! 60 kids WOW!:hearts: :hearts:

areese
10-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Laika and Owen are becoming real pros....that sounds like a great time!!! 60 kids WOW!:hearts: :hearts:
Another cool thing was that AKC sent booklets and pamphlets and info on proper dog care for the kids. They sent 200 of them!!! for free. Staci (Beamer's mom) also does 4-H so she will give the rest out and have a how to care for your dog lesson with them, too.

Tex
10-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Awesome on the booklets Amy!! Sounds like it was not only fun, but very infomative for the kids!!!

Jen
10-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Sounds like a win win. The dogs had fun (and got treats) and the kids learned about dog care and that you can do cool things like agility to keep them healthy!