PDA

View Full Version : Hershey is hacking

Mama S.
12-25-2005, 10:27 PM
and DH is about to make me crazy. He's ready to drive to the ER clinic NOW. Hershey is"coughing" - like a dry heave hacking - he won't eat won't drink. Has been playing all day but me thinks one to many guest fed him too much garbage. I found a wonderful pile of vomit in the living room but am unsure of who it belonged to. There was evidence of too many sneaked treats, Any hints? Suggestions? Of course our vet will be closed until TUesday but I can get our tech on the phone. Just don't want to bother her (she's expecting ANY day) - I normally am the first one to the vet but my gut tells me this is just an upset tummy. Advice?
Sandi

lotsadox
12-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Oh, Sandi, I don't know what to tell you. I'd go with my gut instinct which seems to be that it's just an upset stomach. I would withhold food and try to get him to lick some ice cubes. Something so that he doesn't get dehydrated and watch him closely. It may well just be and upset tummy. Please keep us posted.

Pokeys Mom
12-25-2005, 10:54 PM
How long and how frequently is he hacking? Is it a dry cough or dry heaving? (cheast or tummy?) You're a good mom and always go with your gut, so to speak. I know you are sensitive about your vet's needs, but don't let that stop you!

Lisa
12-25-2005, 11:39 PM
Oh no Sandi,

It has now been an hour (sorry, I just got home!). If he is still coughing or you see he has vomited any more, I would take him in or at least call the tech and see if the coughing sounds serious to her.

Do you have a lot of people over? Are they smoking (if they do) around the dogs? Neither of us smoke, but I know Pogo starting hacking once when we had him in a friends house.

It could be that he vomited and it hurt his throat and that is why he is coughing. I don't know if you have a rectal thermometer (for the dogs!!) :shocked: But if his temp is over 103° I would say bring him in right away.

Lots of rayz that is nothing serious!! :rayz: :rayz: :rayz:

Mama S.
12-25-2005, 11:54 PM
He seems to be over the worst of it. There were no smokers over - didn't even think about that! He is playing with the herd, seems more active and more interested in water. I won't feed him until tomorrow and then it will be bland stuff - no more vomiting - I'm watching him like a hawk!
Sandi

lotsadox
12-25-2005, 11:56 PM
Hopefully, it was just too many treats and he's past the worst. I'd just keep an eye on him now and as you said feed him bland stuff.

Mama S.
12-26-2005, 12:00 AM
Everyone has fallen for the spoiled lil brat! He gives them the L@@K and no one can resisit him. What they all don't understand is that one doing a pinch is ok but 12 doing pinches leads to tummy problems.
Sandi

Lisa
12-26-2005, 12:03 AM
:cheer2: :cheer2:

Great!

I have been refreshing every 5 minutes for an update. I am glad that the worse is behind him!

Can't have our little Hershey man under the weather! :heart14: :love5: :heart14:

Oh, and now that I know he is okay...I first saw the title of the thread and thought...hmmm, what is Hershey doing with the computer?? Can we say GEEK (well Geek in training!)

Mama S.
12-26-2005, 12:20 AM
:cheer2: :cheer2:I first saw the title of the thread and thought...hmmm, what is Hershey doing with the computer?? Can we say GEEK (well Geek in training!)
I'm sure that given his need to stand on top of my desk and wear my headset and walk all over my key board - computer hacking might not be far behind:rotfl: :rotfl: Thanks for the concern! He is my baby boy and after yesterday, I just don't think I can stomach any more bad news.
Sandi

Patt
12-26-2005, 12:44 AM
Geez I just signed on and sorry to hear about Hershey but it's good to hear he's doing okay. Good idea to withhold food and don't let him drink too much water this might make him vomit again. Agree it could be upset tummy or smoke inhalation. Worse case senario is pancreatitis and the signs are nausea, vomiting, fever, adominal pain and diarrhea so keep an eye out, and if any of those conditions show up he needs a vet.

Sending feel better :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: his way. Please keep us updated.

oceangirls
12-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Poor Hershey! I'm hoping things are improved today!:rayz: :rayz: :rayz: It makes sense that he probably got too many "treats."

He won't learn anything from this experience, BTW, so don't even bother with the lecture, Mom :D

Mama S.
12-26-2005, 10:48 AM
After a good nightsd sleep, he is fine! No hacking, he's playing with everyone. Was VERY interested in everyone's breakfast this morning, he got a bland breakfast just in case! He's now pouting in his crate that while everyone else was crunching happily - he was not:mad:
THanks everyone for your support!
Sandi

JanUet
12-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Oh Sandi.....I just signed on too. I'm Glad that Hershey is feeling better and that it was nothing serious!
Sending him some :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: anyways.

I woke up to poop on my bedside carpet (EWWWW! :potty3: I didn't step in it)
Looks like one little Casey had too much to eat last night.

lotsadox
12-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Sandi, I'm so glad that Hershey is doing better. Poor baby, just that awful bland breakfast.

Janet, I imagine there will be a lot of that going around. Personally I've been watching where I walk this morning very carefully. :D

Jen
12-26-2005, 12:43 PM
I was off the board yesterday, so sorry to hear about sweet Hershey! Glad he's much improved this am. Yup, too many treats can sure do it.

Frzframe
12-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Now how bout I send over what's left of my fish oil that the boys didn't drink or spill maybe he could get into more trouble with that! :rotfl: