PDA

View Full Version : Potty problems

Lori
10-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Pippin is a little over 5 months old. Maybe even close to 6 months somewhere in there. I can gate off the entire kitchen crate open and he holds it all day if he has to, usually I do come home at lunch but if I can't he is still good. This morning he went outside at 5:30 hubby, pooped and peed, then had breakfast, then went out again at about 7:00 with me and peed again. I left him downstairs to play with Ginger for about 15 and he pooped. He has had about 6-8 some pee and some poo but that would be a total accidents since we got him at 9-10 weeks. All my fault of course but this time I was surprised because it has been a couple of weeks without one, he runs to the door and cries to get out of the kitchen if he has to go. I suppose, okay i know I should not have left him alone but I am used to aussies and german shepherds, all of whom were completely potty trained and reliable by 4-5 at the latest. So suggestions, thoughts, how long? An unhousebroken dog is not okay with me so please don't laugh and say get used to it, I'm not gonna. I should be able to train him but maybe I need a little insight. Maybe for his age my expectations are too high for a doxie. What I want to do is teach him that the rest of house is like the big kitchen, we hold it. He doesn't seem to be getting that, my thinking he was finally housebroken the last couple of weeks is because we were diligent in taking him out apparently. He knows "do you have to go outside or do you have to go potty" and runs to the door if he needs or wants to go out, so he isn't stupid. He holds it fine at night and in the kitchen and crate. He isn't getting the rest of the house is like his den. Too much freedom do you think? How long is average for doxie's and what the heck am I doing wrong? When I say "find a spot" (outside he does or almost always tries). I have housebroken more puppies than I can count and this is the first time I feel like he isn't expanding his potty habits to include the rest of the house. Oh and I should mention I have only caught him ONCE to tell him no and put him out to praise. I always, always go out with him still, flashlight at night and praise...do I need help or just a little patience?

catstamm
10-10-2006, 06:13 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Okay....I'm trying not to laugh...:rotfl: :rotfl:
Out of my 3 doxies, 1 is 100% house trained and I feel blessed.
The other 2 girls are 90% trained and 10% pad trained.....so they know if they can't hold it, they use the pad.
A doxies bladder is a lot smaller than a shepards.
He is still extremely young, I think a yr would be a more realistic target. Patience an consistancy.....I've been told they like the nice soft feel of the carpet on thier bum :banana:

Lori
10-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Luckily we have mostly flooring! He will be housebroken, are you hearing me? :rotfl: Seriously though he pooped not peed AND he can hold it all day...he does and at night too. Sooooooooooooo...why not the rest of house hmmmmm? Okay a year, that is what other little dog people have said. Fine, fine, fine...I need to relax then and expect he will be at my side for many more months to come or to his horror and dismay in the kitchen when I am home!!! If I can't watch him. Once I'm home he thinks he should come out and stay out. BAD ME! Well plus the other dogs are out.

areese
10-10-2006, 06:38 PM
I say a little more patience probably. Maybe it's a bit too much freedom for him yet. I can say both my doxies are 99.9% housebroken. Last doxie accident here was last thanksgiving day when Owen pooped in front of the tv to express his feelings about football I guess... Actually we had only had him a couple months at that point so it was just a little glitch. Laika has not had an accident in years (she's 4) It DID take a full year to get her to that point though.
Now the CHIHUAHUA is another story..and people who should know keep telling me they can't be reliably housebroken but I refuse to believe that!!!!!!!

Lori
10-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Well okay that makes me feel better. A year for your girl. Fine a year...that is what I have been told. Okay too much freedom, poor Pippin. :rolleyes:

My sister has two chihuahua's. They are housebroken but it took over a year for both, she said more like 18 months before she really trusted them! So it can happen but it takes a long time. So don't give up! LOL. If I'm not giving up with Pippin 1/2 chihuahua///1/2 doxie you can't give up with your new chihuahua, deal?

I say a little more patience probably. Maybe it's a bit too much freedom for him yet. I can say both my doxies are 99.9% housebroken. Last doxie accident here was last thanksgiving day when Owen pooped in front of the tv to express his feelings about football I guess... Actually we had only had him a couple months at that point so it was just a little glitch. Laika has not had an accident in years (she's 4) It DID take a full year to get her to that point though.
Now the CHIHUAHUA is another story..and people who should know keep telling me they can't be reliably housebroken but I refuse to believe that!!!!!!!

K2
10-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Patience, patience, patience. Pippit is now 99% potty trained. When I got him, he was 2 1/2 and probably about 50% trained. (Actually, now that I think about it~I think he's got me 99% trained) :rotfl:

areese
10-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Well okay that makes me feel better. A year for your girl. Fine a year...that is what I have been told. Okay too much freedom, poor Pippin. :rolleyes:

My sister has two chihuahua's. They are housebroken but it took over a year for both, she said more like 18 months before she really trusted them! So it can happen but it takes a long time. So don't give up! LOL. If I'm not giving up with Pippin 1/2 chihuahua///1/2 doxie you can't give up with your new chihuahua, deal?

It's a deal :) I have a feeling that the winter is going to try my patience BIG TIME though....She does not like the cold at all. Of course neither do my weens...but I shovel for them and if they go on the deck...welp we just call it the poopdeck and shovel it off.

blueyezz74
10-10-2006, 09:20 PM
My 11 mth old terror, I mean boy is not 100% potty trained. He gets the gist of it but I think he's stubborn. When I got home from work tonight I took them both out. Harley peed. Max didn't. We come inside. I turn around and there is a yellow lake rigt by the door. Patience is the key along with many trips outside.

Alex's Mom
10-11-2006, 06:39 AM
Ummm, not to really depress you or anything, Lori, but it took 6 years (yes, years) for my :angel7: Maxe to become totally potty trained. not cuz she didn't understand the concept, but because she just didn't always see the point! Mind you, after that, she could hold it for 24 hours if necessary. Sadly, Alex was never completely potty trained (maybe 80%) and then she became incontinent after her cancer surgery at 9. It used to make me crazy, but then I just decided that it was just the way dachsies are, I tore out the carpet, put down tile and hardwood, and got over it!! but Pippin's still awfully young to be 100% in any event. Patience patience and more patience are what dachsies teach you! :rotfl::rotfl:

Tex
10-11-2006, 07:27 AM
My two are great with pottying when/where they should (i.e. OUTSIDE)....except when it's raining!!! Julie actually held everything almost all day yesterday bc she refused to get her precious little self wet!!! Jax (our boy) on the other hand has some marking issues, but it's not peeing bc he needs to potty....it's a matter of making sure we all know that everything within 2 feet of the floor belongs to him. We're workin' on that though :duh: .

Julie wasn't consistently potty trained until she was atleast a year old. I think it really helped that I was living in an efficiency (about 450 sq. feet) and that made it easier for her to see "the whole house" as her crate and that she should hold it. Plus I work a split shift and am only gone from the house 4-5 hours at a time on any given day. Good luck!!!!

Bella's Mom
10-11-2006, 02:23 PM
I would agree to give it at least a year. Bella was a blessing and is 99.9% housetrained. I know we will not be that lucky with our Cooper (11 weeks old). He has been a little more difficult to say the least. But consistency, routine and time will do the trick. He's still young. It sounds like he's got it pretty much down but may just need a few more months. There will be the occasional accident (if your lucky) but from what you said, he be pretty reliable with potty training in a few more months. Good luck and don't be so hard on yourself. :hug99:

Lori
10-11-2006, 02:32 PM
I think a lot of it is I'd like him to have the freedom the other dogs have and I don't want to contain him in the kitchen when I know he wants out. However potty training is more important. *sigh*

I would agree to give it at least a year. Bella was a blessing and is 99.9% housetrained. I know we will not be that lucky with our Cooper (11 weeks old). He has been a little more difficult to say the least. But consistency, routine and time will do the trick. He's still young. It sounds like he's got it pretty much down but may just need a few more months. There will be the occasional accident (if your lucky) but from what you said, he be pretty reliable with potty training in a few more months. Good luck and don't be so hard on yourself. :hug99:

lotsadox
10-11-2006, 02:42 PM
You have to realize that he's a dachshund. He's not going to react or train like a GSD or an aussie. They are hard to housetrain. I've had 8 dachsies and dachsie mixes over the years and I'd say 4 were reliably housetrained and of those 2 were mixes. :rolleyes: I even had Max that runs the adoption center ask me how I dealt with housetraining dachshunds because they are so difficult and I told him "tile". :rotfl: :rotfl: I was serious. Of the ones I have now, Bogart (full dachshund) is pretty reliably trained and Scooter (dachsador) is pretty reliable. The others are pretty good unless it rains or they just decide they want to potty inside. My advice? Confine him or keep him with you if you don't want accidents in the house. JMHO

Lori
10-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Okay but why? I mean why are they so hard? What are your thoughts on the reasons? He is very, very bright, know lots of stuff I don't get it, appears to want to please most of the time? I have tile and lamanite flooring throughout the house apparently I should be thanking the stars about that. LOL I do have a couple of large plush area rugs and runners. LOL.

You have to realize that he's a dachshund. He's not going to react or train like a GSD or an aussie. They are hard to housetrain. I've had 8 dachsies and dachsie mixes over the years and I'd say 4 were reliably housetrained and of those 2 were mixes. :rolleyes: I even had Max that runs the adoption center ask me how I dealt with housetraining dachshunds because they are so difficult and I told him "tile". :rotfl: :rotfl: I was serious. Of the ones I have now, Bogart (full dachshund) is pretty reliably trained and Scooter (dachsador) is pretty reliable. The others are pretty good unless it rains or they just decide they want to potty inside. My advice? Confine him or keep him with you if you don't want accidents in the house. JMHO

Alex's Mom
10-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Okay but why? I mean why are they so hard? What are your thoughts on the reasons? He is very, very bright, know lots of stuff I don't get it, appears to want to please most of the time?

Well, that whole thing about being really smart is the problem. Add that to the fact that dachsies are extremely independent, and you can see where things can go "wrong" (and this is why so many end up in rescue)...they're sort of like cats sometimes i.e. They're not here to please us, we're here to please them, is how they view the world, I occasionally think!! :rotfl: if he's using his intelligence for good and not evil (which would include potty training issues), then you're lucky!! Welcome to the wonderful world of dachshunds :rolleyes:

lotsadox
10-11-2006, 05:12 PM
I think that Paula's right. When I had dachshunds in dog training, the aussies and retrievers would be like "I'll do it! I'll do it! I'll do it" and not really think about the fact that they might not have to do it. My dachshund would be sitting there looking at me like "I wonder if she'll still love me if I don't do it?" :rotfl:

I think it is a combination of being intelligent enough to realize that they might not have to do what you say and the independence to do what they want regardless. That's one of the things that I really like about the breed. They are independent and go their own way even if others don't like it. They're what I want to be when I grow up! :rotfl:

Lori
10-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Interesting, very interesting. Thanks everyone!! Insight is always helpful. Like I said I have never had a tiny dog let alone a doxie (thinking hound LOL).

Lori
10-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Also I adore him to the core. I might end up fostering/adopting my next one after all I have the floors right?! I just had no idea so many doxie were in need. :sosad:

Frzframe
10-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Be thankful you could have one like mine. Mitzi knows what she's not to do and while I'm reminding her she'll look right at me and do it any way. :faint: Yeah she has me well trained. :rotfl:

catstamm
10-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Because they are so smart,:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: they have more important things to think about than going potty where YOU want them to go

Patt
10-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Well, that whole thing about being really smart is the problem. Add that to the fact that dachsies are extremely independent, and you can see where things can go "wrong" (and this is why so many end up in rescue)...they're sort of like cats sometimes i.e. They're not here to please us, we're here to please them, is how they view the world, I occasionally think!! :rotfl: if he's using his intelligence for good and not evil (which would include potty training issues), then you're lucky!! Welcome to the wonderful world of dachshunds :rolleyes:
:ditto::ditto: One thing you will learn is patience. :crossfin: