PDA

View Full Version : How do you give your dog pills?

Helen
10-11-2006, 11:12 PM
At the vet, Charlie was given 2 sets of pills, one to be taken every 8 hours and one every 12. So far I've been putting peanut butter on them, but a couple pills ago he figured out how to suck off the peanut butter and spit out the pill. :rolleyes:

So how do you guys trick your puppers to eat pills? I know cheese is one way, and I guess I'll try that next. I am a little concerned, though, because he went to the vet because he was having stomach problems, and he's also on i/d now. Do you think cheese, peanut butter, and whatever else I have to use to get him to eat the pills will harm him at this point? I don't know... :(

catstamm
10-11-2006, 11:26 PM
I put them in cheese or pill pockets.....

lizzieb38
10-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Well you may think this is weird, but when I worked for a vet, we used to do it like this: put one hand over the top of their snout, and with the pill between your index finger and thumb of your other hand--Pull their bottom jaw down gentley, while tipping their head back. Drop the pill down their throat as far as you can, close their mouth up(with head still tipped back) blow gentley in their nose. It will make them swallow the pill!! I'll try to make a video if you need me too.

AnnMarieK
10-11-2006, 11:33 PM
I stick it in cheese...give it to them while they can see that I have another piece of cheese in my hand...they gulp it down so that they can get the second piece of cheese. Works evry time !!!!!:weee: :weee: :weee:

Patt
10-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Well you may think this is weird, but when I worked for a vet, we used to do it like this: put one hand over the top of their snout, and with the pill between your index finger and thumb of your other hand--Pull their bottom jaw down gentley, while tipping their head back. Drop the pill down their throat as far as you can, close their mouth up(with head still tipped back) blow gentley in their nose. It will make them swallow the pill!! I'll try to make a video if you need me too.

Here's a link that shows you with photos. http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_meds.asp

Due to my problem hands and depending on what pill (if food can be given at that time). I use either a Pet Piller, pumpkin or small portion of canned dog food.

http://www.petrx.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=719

:goodluck:

lizzieb38
10-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Okay my method is a last resort, if they turn out to be sneaky lil dudes. But that's just how I've done it for years. Works on cats too!!! Works every time too, and if you get the hang of it, it's quick and easy!

lotsadox
10-11-2006, 11:46 PM
I use peanut butter. Mine love pb and gulp it down. Miller used to be kind of picky and started sorting his pills out of the pb so I just started using crunchy pb and then he didn't know what was the pill and what was the crunchies. :rotfl:

Jacqueline
10-12-2006, 12:10 AM
My two are such chow hounds they will eat anything you offer them. My big problem is that if one gets something....like the heartworm med, the other feels slighted. I give the med and a cookie. Two cookies to the nonmedicated, one cookie and the med to the other.

Not much help if you have a suspicious dog.

What is a pill pocket?

catstamm
10-12-2006, 12:24 AM
A pill pocket is a soft treat, shaped like a canoe. You put the pill in the canoe and mold the treat around the pill....in other words, a very expensive piece of cheese....:rotfl: :rotfl:

Patt
10-12-2006, 12:39 AM
What is a pill pocket?
http://www.healthypets.com/pillpockets.html sold at Petsmart.

Alex's Mom
10-12-2006, 06:38 AM
Alex is on a lot of daily meds. Most I just put into her food, little piglet that she is! But she has to have a metaclopromide pill 20 mins before each meal. I just put it into a little ball of her food (she eats canned i/d) and she gobbles it right up. Sometimes though she'll spit it out, and then I do exactly what Lisa says...open her mouth, stick the pill as far back as I can, hold her head up and stroke her throat while blowing in her now til she swallows. Works every time!

Tex
10-12-2006, 07:08 AM
http://www.healthypets.com/pillpockets.html sold at Petsmart.
Thanks for the link Patt! I was wondering the same thing.
Heard lots of good stuff about cheese......when Jax was on antibiotics after his dental ('cause he had a tooth pulled), I didi what Lizzeb and Alex's mom did.......Jax was too smart for the "hide the pill" game!!! Crazy wiener:duh:

Wiener Mom
10-12-2006, 07:20 AM
I use a small crust of bread, rolled up with the pill inside & a dab of peanut butter on the outside.
Or most times, if the pill is taken at meal time, I put it in with the kibble, then stand by & watch to make sure it was eaten by the right dog.

areese
10-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Okay my method is a last resort, if they turn out to be sneaky lil dudes. But that's just how I've done it for years. Works on cats too!!! Works every time too, and if you get the hang of it, it's quick and easy!
I do it like that too. Open the mouth and drop it in, close thier mouth and blow on their nose.

Otto'sMom
10-12-2006, 10:45 AM
I use peanut butter or Pill Pockets. Get them from Carealot Pet Supply warehouse online, much cheaper than they are at Petsmart.

Courtney
10-12-2006, 11:08 AM
I either use my pill popper or cream cheese. Lately, I have been using chicken hearts - nature's own pill pockets! They are small and hollow and so I just stuff the pills in and the dogs gobble them right up. A little gross, but it works!

Lori
10-12-2006, 12:44 PM
I have to give my older girl one pill in the morning and one in the evening. I use a small piece of bread. I was out of cheese one day and tried the bread. I wrap the pill in a tiny piece of bread. The other dogs now want a tiny piece of bread too when CC get's her pills, actually they would probably want the whole piece but settle for what I give, basically a little taste LOL. In the past I have always done the back of the throat holding the mouth closed and blowing in the nose. The bread is easier when you give pills daily and that would probably be okay to digest depending on what type you use.

Bella's Mom
10-12-2006, 02:20 PM
We give a tiny taste of cheese, then another piece with the pill then quickly follow it up with the last taste. Very small pieces but it works. :banana:

JanUet
10-12-2006, 06:59 PM
My Dad had a Border Collie and had to give him pills daily as he got older.
Well, He used to place his pill in a mini marshmallow and gave it to him.
No harm done :D

But, I would still go with the cheese.

Red Haired Girl
10-12-2006, 07:25 PM
I use cheese. I buy the Baby Babel round cheeses and cut them into 1/4 then 1/2 again then 1/2 again. They get a small piece with the pill in it, then I give them the 2nd piece to "wash it down" They are happy cause they got 2 treats! Whoo hooo, so easy cheesey to pleasy :)