PDA

View Full Version : He's a thief again.

Kerie
10-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Oscar stole my microwavable neck wrap and chewed a hole in it. I get stiff necks and I loved that thing. It's stuffed with dried up rice, some kind of seeds, and it's VERY heavily lavender scented. He has always loved the smell and I am sure he thinks it's food (it is, sort of). He sniffs it while I wear it but I have kept it away from him. Well, I mistakenly put it on the bottom of my closet and left the door open. He also must have grabbed one of my shoes because I know I had put it in the closet. I was in my office room, went back to the bedroom. My shoe was on the other side of the room, not damaged. Oscar was under the bed, eating my neck wrap. DH reached under the bed and Oscar growled (King of all Resource Guarders). we know, he should not have reached under the bed. It happened so fast. Dh was just glad Oscar didn't snap. Then DH said, "Ok Oscar, come get some cheese." Oscar IMMEDIATELY dropped what he was doing and ran out toward the kitchen. I was hoping that "leave it" would be our command of choice. I'm afraid it's "cheese." Oscar was then banned to a room where he had to be alone for a timeout. He was really good and didn't bark. Then we did some training tonight and he did well.

Tomorrow is cleaning lady day. Oscar has to be locked up because he steals her paper towels, barks at the broom and vacuum and once tried to eat a wet sponge. It's too bad, because my cleaning lady loves dogs and would talk to him while she works. He'll never be an easy dog, will he? And why can't he pay for this cleaning girl?

Bottom line in this whole story is that he's still a little thief after all the work we do with him, and my neck hurts and I have no wrap!!!!!

Jacqueline
10-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Get a nice clean tube sock from dh's laundry, put some dry rice in it, maybe raid your spice cabinet for something that smells good, and tie a knot in the end. It will work the same. We carry a sock o' rice with us on trips for this very thing. You can probably pick up some lavender buds or spray at Walmart or health food store and make yourself some more cheaper than you can buy them.

Red Haired Girl
10-13-2006, 05:16 AM
Those seeds are probably lavender seeds. You can get them at any good baking/spice store. They make great cookies!

Sorry he stole your wrap. May I steal your cleaning lady? I won't bark or steal her towels!

Bella's Mom
10-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Those seeds are probably lavender seeds. You can get them at any good baking/spice store. They make great cookies!

Sorry he stole your wrap. May I steal your cleaning lady? I won't bark or steal her towels!
:rotfl: That's a great idea, send her my way when you done!

Tex
10-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Sorry he ate your neck wrap!!!! You tell a good story though!:banana:
I didn't realize you could make things like that.....I may use that as part of m y Christmas presents.....:scratch:

Da Brat
10-13-2006, 10:56 AM
I have those too. I have one that's just a big square full of stuff and an eye pillow too! My cats LOVE it when I use them... They stick their noses on them and knead like crazy! It's hilarious...

I'm sorry Oscar ate yours, but like the others said, they are really easy to make as long as you can find the proper herbs (lavender, rosemary, chamomile, etc) A lot of the pillows also use buckwheat..

Jen
10-13-2006, 11:28 AM
We bought Tasha a little bear full of rice that you microwave to keep her extra cozy on those cold winter nights--and it does smell like food. So far she's not eaten it.

Oscar Oscar Oscar. Just being a dog. Glad cheese works wonders--it does in our house too.

Otto'sMom
10-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Can't you just stitch the hole he chewed? Doesn't have to be pretty, just keeps the stuff from falling out.

Lori
10-13-2006, 01:58 PM
I need one of those neck things ahhhhh sounds wonderful.

Does Oscar really growl and snap over stuff? See the meanie here again, something I would not allow. No cheese for this problem but some firmness at my house. Oh well, I guess it comes from having german shepherds. Was Oscar a rescue? Pippin is more of a submissive type dog, probably because he has been low on the totem pole with the other dogs and I'm the boss, period, the boss. I guess with four I have to be, beside with parrots there is no way to be the boss you have to reinforce with treats all the time but dogs and growling at me...no. I do know I'm new and you guys probably all know each other well and the stories of each others dogs which I do not so just ignore me if you don't like what I am saying or if I don't understand a certain situation.

I know treating for stuff is really popular now and I treat puppies for learning and the other dogs for tricks sometimes but that is it. I train a lot and what I have noticed about Pippin is that he will do down about three times and then that is it, so I try to keep his sessions really short and not a lot of repetition, so I find with him I train many times a day but briefly and use treat about half the time now as he is getting older. This seems to be working for us. He does the not have the "what do you want me to do next" attitude when training but instead his face says, "okay I downed for you three times...I'm not an idiot" LOL LOL. I am very old fashioned in training with my belief that they do what I say, so if I take a toy or food or a chewy away, they have to let me. I am lucky, Pippin is not possessive at all and only one of my aussie's is with him so he has learned from the others to share which is very nice.

lizzieb38
10-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Sorry about your neck wrap, but they are really easy to make. My mom made us all little santa one a couple years ago. I use mine when my feet are cold.

Kerie
10-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Oh, I should explain but yes, some people here already know Oscar's history. I didn't mean to exclude anyone, as I don't like when that happens on message boards!

Yes, he is a known "resource guarder." He usually guards things that are for him, like his own toys. But he guards them so aggressively, bit me once and I believe that he would bite again. He is also somewhat of a space guarder, which is related.

I should really explain the thing about the cheese. We are working with a trainer who says that it is okay to do whatever is necessary to get him out of a dangerous situation. If Oscar is eating something that may make him sick, we should not risk injury to oursevles, but we were told that if he'll drop it for some cheese, go ahead and get him to drop it. Yesterday, my husband said "cheese" but never gave him any. I used cheese to lure Oscar away when I found him trying to eat a dead squirrel. I've also heard that if your dog runs away, rather than chase him, try to get him to chase you, or try to lure him back with some food. I'm not saying to use the food as a reward, but don't stand on principle if either you or ytour dog is in any danger.

I sometimes think that Oscar's problem goes in phases, like he gets into a bad mood or something. Many people say that it is because I lose my leadership role from time to time and have to re-establish it. Last night, I was petting him and talking to him. He seemed tired, but his eyes were open. I had put my hand under him while petting him. I went to move my hand out from under him, and I think my hand jerked his collar a little bit. well, he freaked on me. He growled and even after I pulled away, he charged at me. My husband intervened and pulled him away. He wasn't so great with my husband either. I have to learn my lesson about letting sleeping dogs lie, but I also want Oscar to learn to be nice.

He probably sounds like a mean dog but that is so not the case. He is extremely affectionate, loves to play, and loves his belly rubs. He gets along with dogs.

We rescued him when he was 1 year old. We know very little about his history, except that for a while he was being taken care of in someone's store, not in a home. I thought I was Ms. Experienced rescuer because my last dachsie was a rescue who had some problems. But he was shy and submissive. Now I have the other end of the spectrum.

I need one of those neck things ahhhhh sounds wonderful.

Does Oscar really growl and snap over stuff? See the meanie here again, something I would not allow. No cheese for this problem but some firmness at my house. Oh well, I guess it comes from having german shepherds. Was Oscar a rescue? Pippin is more of a submissive type dog, probably because he has been low on the totem pole with the other dogs and I'm the boss, period, the boss. I guess with four I have to be, beside with parrots there is no way to be the boss you have to reinforce with treats all the time but dogs and growling at me...no. I do know I'm new and you guys probably all know each other well and the stories of each others dogs which I do not so just ignore me if you don't like what I am saying or if I don't understand a certain situation.

I know treating for stuff is really popular now and I treat puppies for learning and the other dogs for tricks sometimes but that is it. I train a lot and what I have noticed about Pippin is that he will do down about three times and then that is it, so I try to keep his sessions really short and not a lot of repetition, so I find with him I train many times a day but briefly and use treat about half the time now as he is getting older. This seems to be working for us. He does the not have the "what do you want me to do next" attitude when training but instead his face says, "okay I downed for you three times...I'm not an idiot" LOL LOL. I am very old fashioned in training with my belief that they do what I say, so if I take a toy or food or a chewy away, they have to let me. I am lucky, Pippin is not possessive at all and only one of my aussie's is with him so he has learned from the others to share which is very nice.