PDA

View Full Version : Should I ...obedience class question...

Lori
10-13-2006, 02:11 PM
I live at 7,000 feet in the mountains. Fall is here and we get snow in winter. There is an obedience class starting next week. It is outside and an 8 week course. Pippin is a short haired guy. I would love to take it for socialization since we are fairly isolated, training I can do without a class. However I'm worried it is going to be too cold for him (gosh and even perhaps for me). I also don't know how good the instructor is and I don't want to do a class with a lot of large out of control dogs and a bad instructor. Do you think it is just too cold for Pippin even with his jacket or sweater and because he is only 7.5lb could it be dangerous for him?

I do train him now and he is doing well. We just started stay. Come is going to be the hardest when he is distracted I can tell and I only call him to come now if I have a treat (I try to carry them all the time) and if I "know" he is going to come, not if he has encountered a good smell in the bushes LOL.

Do you guys do formal obedience with your doxies? I'm not into the petsmart haltie stuff. I want him trained but I won't be doing competition with him but he does go everywhere with us so simple training of the basics is important. I also want to get him more socialized with other dogs which is hard, he is afraid or occasionally aggressive (because of fear) which I stop. No dog park where I live...suggestions would be welcome.

Tex
10-13-2006, 03:03 PM
I understand your concern about the cold (it's 70 here and I thought it was rather chilly!) Is there any way you could meet the instructor before signing up??? Or get references on him/her?? I would think that if you could meet the instructor, they could tell you more about how the class usually pans out (what to expect training wise and how many dogs they will take per instructor)......stuff like that. My two haven't been to a formal obedience class (I can't afford it right now), but if you could do one outside in the mountains....wow!!!! That would be cool!!! I don't know much about the weather up there, so I'm no help with that....good luck and stay warm!!!

jenfer
10-13-2006, 04:36 PM
I would request to "audit" for the class. Just see whether you like it or not... most of the time they let you do it. Gigi and I had our very first class when she was 5 months old and since then we have to many different classes. As far as the weather factor... Gigi is also short-haired and she shakes all the time even with a jacket on. ;) It would be your judgement whether the pup is feeling fine or not. Our agility class is outdoor, sometimes in a barn, but still... I just have her jacket on when it's not our turn.

areese
10-13-2006, 04:42 PM
What kind of temperatures are you talking about?? 60's?? 50's??
I think an obedience class is a good idea. Laika did one when she was 5-6 months old. Now that I know better, I would have chosen one with an instructor that used more positive methods (treats and stuff). I would ask about their philosophy and methods. Both my weens love clicker training...a class that uses that would be really really fun for him.

Lori
10-13-2006, 05:07 PM
ummm no cold temps like 18-40 depending on the day. We are at 7,000 feet in the mountains at a ski resort area. I'm thinking it might just be too cold on certain days. I do like the idea of auditing the class...maybe I could take the spring one, he would be older but it would be warmer, if I like the instructor.

areese
10-13-2006, 05:48 PM
ummm no cold temps like 18-40 depending on the day. We are at 7,000 feet in the mountains at a ski resort area. I'm thinking it might just be too cold on certain days. I do like the idea of auditing the class...maybe I could take the spring one, he would be older but it would be warmer, if I like the instructor.
that's awfully cold. I'm surprised they'd have an outside class in temps like that!! Our agility class moves inside when it gets cold. I don't think my dogs could concentrate outside in those temperatures.

Linus
10-13-2006, 05:59 PM
I would wait. Bailey and I didn't do an obedience class until he was almost 2, he did great, and now he is in the 3rd level of agility classes. It doesn't really get cold here, but last year we had one or two classes where the temp was in the 50s and he totally shut down on me...he was too cold.

samandissy
10-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Sounds too cold but that is just me. How far to the nearest Petsmart or Petco or inside training. Personally, I would wait until it is warmer especially since you are working with him. Any meetup groups close by, they are great for socializing and when it is cold we meet inside at various places.

Lori
10-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks guys, yes I think it is too cold also. Not only for little Pippin but even for me. LOL. I'll wait until the spring/summer class.

Lori
10-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Too far, 1 1/2 hours away. I live in a tiny place. It is very beautiful but very hard when it comes to classes for dogs and the like. I heard on the grapevine (see small town stuff) we will be getting a dog park. Not sure when but apparently the money is there. So hey maybe by next summer we will have a dog park. I'm hopeful they will have a section for the little guys which would be excellent socialization for him. We shall see.

Sounds too cold but that is just me. How far to the nearest Petsmart or Petco or inside training. Personally, I would wait until it is warmer especially since you are working with him. Any meetup groups close by, they are great for socializing and when it is cold we meet inside at various places.