PDA

View Full Version : Thinning hair

jenfer
12-27-2005, 01:31 PM
This is more shocking to me than to Gigi! lol.

What I have found is her "hair"/fur on her neck (front) is thinning (you can actually see it on some of the pics), that I could blame it on her pulling on the harness... but the back of her ears... both of them are sort of thinning too! Is it normal? Anything I can do about it?

ALSO, I found 2 "moles"... they sit on top of the skin, they are black... small... probably the size of "o" actually they are smaller than the "o". They don't bother Gigi, but bother me. :scratch: Dogs can have moles, right?

Am I overreacting about everything?:ashamed:

Lisa
12-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Do you give her Salmon oil everyday? The moles I would have checked out for sure when she has her next appointment. It might be some type of acne (I think that's what Bailey had?)

Pogo has very thin hair, especially on his chest. He has always been like that though, there was never a specific period.

Anatresia
12-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Mr. Butters is both fat and bald. (He's still quite handsome, though!) He has alopecia. The vet said that alopecia is a dachshund hereditary trait passed on through the parents that causes dachshunds to lose the fur behind their ears and on their chests. They call it "dachsie ears" at my vet. And it's so common that when I brought Rigby in, they were complimenting me on how well her fur and skin looks because so many dachshunds come in with skin/fur problems. (They also complimented her weight- so I can't wait to hear them scold me for Mr. Butters' issues!)

He is much better in the summer time, so I think it's allergy/dry skin related. He takes a fish oil capsule every day and loves it. It's also good for the :heart: so I'm happy to give him those. He has allergy pills and those help when his skin gets itchy and red.

I have no idea about the moles- probably nothing, but it wouldn't hurt to ask the vet.

Nancy
12-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Can someone tell me more about this product? Since being on the list, it's been mentioned twice. Is this something I should give Molly?

Courtney
12-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Sure, salmon oil or fish oil is taken for the benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids.

From dogaware.com:

Fish Oil or Salmon Oil: An important source of Omega-3 essential fatty acids. Omega-3 EFAs are beneficial to the immune system, the nervous system, the heart, and help stop inflammation, such as in arthritis and allergies. This is probably the most important supplement to give, no matter what you feed, as Omega-3 EFAs are hard to find even in a natural diet, and are highly perishable when exposed to heat, light or air, so they do not survive in commercial foods even if added. Omega-3 EFAs are found in fish body oil, not liver oil. They are also found in flax seed oil, although that form is not as well utilized and some dogs can be allergic to flax. Recommended amount is 1000mg fish oil (containing 300mg combined DHA/EPA) per 30 pounds (14kg) of body weight. Maximum dosage for dogs with health problems would be 1000mg per 10 pounds (4.5kg) of body weight.

Nancy
12-27-2005, 02:42 PM
Thanks for getting back to me! I have to run to the pet store again today, so I'll be sure to pick some up for Molly. Thank you!

Courtney
12-27-2005, 02:43 PM
Oh, don't buy it at the pet store! The best place to get it are big warehouse stores like Sam's or Costco. If not there then just at a drugstore. Buy the stuff for humans because the dog stuff is WAYYYYY overpriced and is the same thing! You can buy fish body oil or salmon oil.

Anatresia
12-27-2005, 03:18 PM
You can get it at Target or Walmart, too.

jenfer
12-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Gi's fur is soft and shiny... it's just thinning around her chest and behind the ears. Thanks Tracy for the new medical term. I will be looking to get her some salmon oil. So I should look for the regular kind for human at regular store? Are those the capsule kind with oil inside? I know Chilli (my mom's shihtzu) takes those kind of vitamin. My mom just break open a capsule everyday and mix the oil w/her food.

I will ask about the mole thingy. Too bad I didn't notice it when she has her check up. They were so small. At first I thought it was dirt and tried to brush it off. haha.

LUVMYGUNNER
12-27-2005, 05:12 PM
I get my Fish oil/Salmon oil at Walmart.

Lisa
12-27-2005, 05:19 PM
I get fish oil for the boys at a nutrition store - but I have also got it from Walmart and don't find it any better or worse.

Patt
12-27-2005, 07:19 PM
I'm one of "those" that gets their Salmon Oil at the pet store, because for me it's easier to push a plunger then opening a capsule (bad hands). Whatever works be sure to try it as it might help with the coat. Also another name for thinning hair is "Pattern Baldness in Dachshunds", if it is really that and not a medical problem there is not much you can do about it. As for the "moles" I wouldn't worry about it unless they change in size and/or color.