View Full Version : Breathing and heart problems- any thoughts?

Anatresia
12-27-2005, 02:16 PM
This is from 3 dachshunds brewery:

Lillie was like a puppy and had to begin to learn everything. She had no confidence and was afraid of everything. The difficult task of training her was even harder since this was my first dog and she was a 4-1/2 year old puppy. The next two months were challenging, but then along came Otto, Our second Dachshund. Lillie began to copy and learn from him. As she gained confidence, she became friendlier and more trusting and her personality shined through. She began to spend hours in the yard chasing squirrels and birds, guarding her home. Squeaky stuffed animals became her favorite toys, wrestling with them for hours until she finally defeated them. Just when she had finally had everything she ever wanted and deserved, we noticed Lillie was breathing heavier and was out of breath. The day before Christmas of 2003, she was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and fluid was filling up in her lungs. The puppy-like 5 year old, 2 weeks short of her 6th birthday declined quickly. Although she was weak and struggling to breath, she still would go potty outside, too weak to eat her treat. I could not bear to watch her struggle to breath and not be able to live the life she came to love. Sadly on Jan. 14th 2004, less than 2 years after we found her, we had Lillie put to sleep. Her stay was short but long enough to make a huge impact in my life. She will be greatly missed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After reading that, I got kind of worried because Butters breathes really heavy most of the time. He also has a heart murmur. I am going to have his breathing checked on in February at his annual, but I'm sure he just breathes like that because he's overweight. He also has bad allergies, so I figured he was just congested.

This really scared me, though, since he already has the heart murmur issue and the breathing problems. Do you think it's okay to wait for his annual, since he doesn't seem to be bothered by the breathing, and he takes fish oil, which is good for the heart?

Courtney
12-27-2005, 02:24 PM
If it scares you, I would just call your vet and ask what he/she thinks. If he says it probably needs to be looked at then you can take him in. :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: for the adorable Butters!

Patt
12-27-2005, 03:51 PM
ITA with Courtney. I think the fact that you asked shows you are really concerned so I would go for an early exam. Sending :rayz: :rayz: to Mr. Butters, I hope all is well.:hearts: I don't know if Salmon Oil helps the heart. :confused:

Jen
12-27-2005, 05:23 PM
I agree, it wouldn't hurt to give the Vet a call.

BTW, I LOVE 3 Dachshunds. They now ship their cider and I ordered a bunch. Had a bottle yesterday, yum! When I called to order its a home run business and I could hear her doxies barking in the background.

lotsadox
12-27-2005, 05:52 PM
I would make an appointment and ask your vet about it. I had one dachsie mix (CC) who had heart problems. She had a heart murmur and arrhymia. When I first got her from my mother she was about 6 and my mother had always said that she didn't have a lot of energy and got out of breath easily which was unusual for a dog that was always a little on the thin side. When I took her to my vet she diagnosed the problems and we worked on the supplement combination until we found what worked the best. Her energy level was much better and she did not get out of breath nearly as easily. There can be a link between heart problems and breathing problems. For your own peace of mind I would go take him to the vet.

Lisa
12-28-2005, 04:09 PM
I would take him in for a full physical Tracy!!! :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: Everything is okay with Mr. B.

I do think Salmon oil helps protect the heart, but if he has an underlying condition I am not sure if it will help.

Patt
12-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Here's all you wanted to know about Salmon Oil. Good for the heart + more info.

http://www.grizzlypetproducts.com/index.html