PDA

View Full Version : Lizzie Borden

Otto'sMom
10-18-2006, 06:40 PM
Today, I had to put my best cat, my first Navy cat, Lizzie Borden, to sleep. She'd been pooping blood and barfing, couldn't keep anything down and peeing large volumes of urine, always in the box. She was 14 years old, and I loved her so very much. Cried at work all morning, went home to check on her and she was on the dining room table, looking very bad. I took her in immediately and ended her suffering. She may be at peace buy my heart is broken. She's been with me since the beginning of my career, and I've moved everywhere with her. She's put up with all the additonal pets, the rescues, the fosters and whatever illnesses they brought. She tolerated boyfriends, exhusbands and she's known so many people. She's been the one constant thing in my life of ceaseless changes. She used to love to lick the center of my frozen swiss cake rolls and would come running when she'd hear me sing the theme song to "Animanics"
I had to leave her there for the pet cremation people to take.
I know I did the right thing, but it really hurts and I can't help but feel sorry for myself, and I hate that.
:sosad: just doesn't even cover how bad I feel.

K2
10-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Oh Andrea, I know how hard it is to help a cherished cat to the bridge. Graham Crackers (or Grahams as I called him) was 15 when I had to make that decision and it was one of the hardest I've ever made.

Lizzie Borden(great name by the way) will always be in your heart. I am so sorry that your friend is no longer with you, but she knows you did the best for her. :angel7: :candle::hug99:

Red Haired Girl
10-18-2006, 07:29 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. :hug99: :sosad: Here is a candle for Lizzie Borden. :candle3:

AgileOllie
10-18-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss:hug99: :hug99:

alfina
10-18-2006, 07:36 PM
So sorry Andrea!

areese
10-18-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm so very sorry, Andrea, :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

Alex's Mom
10-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Oh Andrea, I'm so sorry. :hug99::hug99: And no, you're not feeling sorry for yourself, rather you're feeling the grief we all feel when someone we love goes to the bridge. She'd been a touchstone in your life for a very long time, and you gave her the last gift you could when she needed it most. I've :candle2: for Lizzie Borden...and you're close in my thoughts tonight.

oceangirls
10-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Oh no, Andrea! :( I'm so sorry. It's just not fair that we have to lose these little ones so soon.

:candle:

JanUet
10-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Oh Andrea

I am so very sorry for your loss. You gave Lizzie the best life possible and she gave you the same in return. It is so very hard when we have to say good-bye. You did the best thing for her. You helped stop her suffering.

Think of her now....purring freely at the bridge, lapping up all the frozen Swiss Roll middles waiting for you to come to her, singing Animanics! :hearts:

I will lite a :candle: for lizzie tonight and keep you in my thoughts.

Do you have a pic of her to share with us? I'd love to see one.

Otto'sMom
10-18-2006, 09:27 PM
All the other pictures I have of her were taken on a film camera. This is my girl Lizzie, in my kitchen at my old townhouse in Norfolk. I want to be able to celebrate the good life she led, but losing her, the only one who was always there, really hit me hard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Anewborg/Anipals1054.jpg

oceangirls
10-18-2006, 09:46 PM
OMG, what a lovely cat! She looks a lot like my stepmother's cat Phydeau (pronounced "Fido" :D ) but he didn't have such pretty eyes!!

Don't feel bad because you aren't ready to celebrate her life yet... it is okay to take some time to mourn her and what you have lost :hearts:

catstamm
10-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Oh Andrea.....I'm sorry for your loss...now Lizzie Borden is watching you from heaven....:hearts: Your story was wonderful, thanks for sharing.
Isn't it wonderful how our animals put up with us, accept us and our lives no matter what choices we make, and are always there to love us.....sleep well kitty:angel7:

Tex
10-18-2006, 10:28 PM
*typing this as I now cry into my mashed potatoes*

Andrea, you are such a strong person to be able to do what was best for Lizzie......I know she is watching over you from the bridge tonight. :hug99:

Anatresia
10-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Oh, Andrea- I'm sure you did the right thing for her. She is at peace now, and not hurting anymore! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to ease your pain at losing your little :angel7: .

Great name for her, btw. :):hug99:

Frzframe
10-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Oh man. She was such a beautiful girl but most importantly she was well loved and that's what matters in this life. :hug99:

quavec
10-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Oh Andrea! I am so sorry to hear of this. :hug99: Lizzie and you sound like Thelma and Louise. I can see you both tearing up the USA and her telling the new comers how it's to be done.

Your love for animals is so apparent. You have that wonderful connection that not many people do. They aren't your pets, they are your roomates, your friends, your soul.

My thoughts are with you as you adjust to Lizzie's absence. :hug99:

lotsadox
10-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Andrea, I'm so sorry. I know it's so hard to lose an anipal that's been such an anchor in your life. Sending lots of :pray: :pray: :pray: to speed the little :angel7: and her way to the Bridge.

I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier to this thread, but I was always at work when I saw it and I was sure I would be in tears so I waited until I could read it at home.

Otto'sMom
10-19-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier to this thread, but I was always at work when I saw it and I was sure I would be in tears so I waited until I could read it at home.

I've had to fight tears all day yesterday and this morning about it. So many people here just don't understand the importance of my pets in my life. I'm exhausted from getting no sleep worrying about her the night before I had to put her down and from last night worrying that I did the right thing. No comfort food because of dieting so that sucks too.

Patt
10-19-2006, 11:11 AM
I am so sorry. She's such a beautiful kitty. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time. :pray: :candle3:

Lisa
10-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Andrea, I am truly sorry for your loss! :candle3:

Mama S.
10-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Oh honey I am sooo sorry. She was and will always be a very special part of who you are. She'll be at the bridge waiting on you -
:hearts:
Mama

Rae
10-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Oh Andrea- I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure over the years you have shed many a tear into that lovely fur. I know Duchie got me through some really hard times when I couldn't count much on hoomans, or did not want to share with someone who talked back!

15 years is a big chunk of your life and I am so glad you had such a special friend to share the journey with you.

Safe journey, Lizzie Borden. You were and are very loved!

Otto'sMom
10-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Thank you all again for your kind words, they really helped me make peace with this.
I hope that when Lizzie sees me, she bites me. I'm going to miss petting her to that point of annoyance and then offering my forearm to her to chomp on. She got her name from liking to bite the hand that fed her.
Her room is so empty without her presence there. Even cleaning the litterbox is weird without her there supervising me. Sure, I have other great cats, Lily and Kali have been there almost as long as Lizzie, but none of them are as awesome as Lizzie was. Burnie and Otis will bite my fingers, but nobody chomped my arm like she did:hearts: