PDA

View Full Version : I'm new & need training HELLLLP!

ktgrl77
10-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Hi! my name is Kate and I am the proud owner of a 10 week old mini doxie named Busta. He is perfect in everyway except when it comes to wee wee pad training! So I realize that he is very young but my frustration is that he DEFINITELY knows where he's supposed to go, and was doing perfectly when we first got him (2 weeks ago) but all of the sudden he seems to only want to use the pad when it is fresh, if he has gone on it before he will not go on it again until I change it. Mind you the pads are BIG enough for my 5 pounder to go on the same one all day and it still wouldn't be full. I really don't want to spend all my savings on wee wee pads! I'm hoping you experts have some tips or ideas for me!! PLEASE HELLLLLP!

quavec
10-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Hello Kate and Busta. First off :welcome2: to our board. As you stated, Busta is still a puppy - frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't chewed those pee pads to shreds yet. Since he doesn't seem to want to go on one more than once, are you able to buy smaller ones or maybe cut the large ones in half? IMO, as long as you are consistent with is training, everything will work out - as much as it can for a doxie, that is. He is quite young still so you may not get complete satisfactory results for quite a while.

Good luck! I'm sure you will get lots more (and probably better) advice in a bit!

:hug99:

PS - we'd love pics of Busta!

ktgrl77
10-19-2006, 02:45 PM
I just tried to post a pic of my guy. Lets see if it works.

catstamm
10-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Hi Kate and Busta....
First off be patience and remember your sweet, precious,adorable, perfect, bundle of joy is a DACHSHUND......you did research doxies right....:rotfl: :rotfl: Shoot for a yr old to be potty trained and if it happens sooner.....you'll feel blessed :hearts:
10 weeks is barely outta the womb.....
Don't allow him to roam free...if he is not in your sight, keep him crated.
My cami won't use a dirty pee pad either....they have great deals on pee pads at wal-mart.
Don't be frustrated....ALL dachshunds know what they are SUPPOSE to do ....that doesn't mean they do it! :)

Lisa
10-19-2006, 02:51 PM
:welcome2: :welcome2: :welcome2: :welcome2:

To the DLC, I was going to suggest the same thing. Just cut them in 1/2 and you should get double mileage out of them.

Busta sounds so cute (and smart since his is already using the pad!), can't wait for the pictures.

Lisa

Anatresia
10-19-2006, 02:55 PM
:welcome2: to you both!

5 pounds at 10 weeks- you've got a healthy big old boy on your hands!!!:cheer2:

It takes a long time to train a dachshund, especially a male. Just be patient and consistent. :)

Mr. Butters is still not 100%. God forbid if it rains- he will hold it until he has no choice but to go out or use a throw rug (which he thinks are acceptable alternatives to puppy pads.)

Mama S.
10-19-2006, 02:57 PM
I buy mine from Sam's - I use the medical bed pads! $25 a case - helps me with the herd!! Good luck!!!
Sandi aka Mama

Lee Anne
10-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Hi Katie,

Here are some tips from my friends on another board (hotdogblog.com). They compiled it for anyone who has housebreaking questions:

Firstly CONGRATULATIONS on choosing the best breed in the world.

When you get your puppy home everything is new to it and a bit over whelming,take it outside to an area that you want it to do it's business[if the puppy has not had all it's shots make sure it's somewhere no unvaccinated dog can get to] start using a key word that you only use then,"potty" "wee" "quick" anything you are comfortable using and don't mind the neighbours hearing.

Don't worry if the pup wanders off to some other area bring it back and keep repating that key word. If after 15 mins nothing has happened then bring the pup in and put it in a confined area,kitchen or crate if you have one and after 10 mins. repeat the same thing all over again,continue like this until the pup does something then this is the time to make a big fuss really go overboard, cuddles, kisses,tell them how good they have been and then take them back into the house and give them a really tasty treat which is kept for house training only,cheese works well for me,others suggest chicken or hot dog,just make sure that this item is always available. NEVER LIMIT ACCESS TO WATER it doesn't help and could make your pup dehydrated and ill.

You need to keep an eye on your pup as soon you will pick up on the signs that it is about to do something,frantically sniffing and going in circles,some scrape the floorit's at this point you need to use the "out" word to let them know that is where they should be doing their business. When the pup is a bit older try putting a brass bell hanging on the back door,every time you go out with the pup touch the bell with his nose to make a sound and he will soon learn this is how he alerts you to his needs,you only need to listen for the bell when you are occupied else where. Some folk find it easier to put the pup on a lead attached to their waist so the pup cannot go anywhere on it's own,this may work with an older dog who is maybe from a rescue,I'd be worried about stepping on a small pup.

The pup should be put outside every 1/2-1 hour initially,after a nap or being fed and the same routine as above is followed. After the pup has performed you can relax for a short time and play with the pup but always keeping them in sight,if you need to leave the room for any reason,confine the pup to a crate or enclosed area till you return,I have been known to put my pup to stand in the bath whilst I am using the toilet,very handy first thing in the morning and you need to go before going downstairs with the pup for it's first wee of the day. In the early weeks you will have to get up in the night and take them for a wee, at night when we sleep our metabolim slows down and therefore not as much urine is produced so one visit outside is usually enough. I have any new pup to sleep on my bed and I find they will alert me by getting restless that they need out,so a very sleepy pair go down and let the pup do it's business,don't encourage any games afterwards as you want the pup to go back to sleep again. If you are using a crate keep it in the bedroom by the bed initially so you can be alerted easily without the whole house being woken by a yelping pup.

This routine carries on day in day out extending the times between visits outside by 1/2 hour at a time,if there is an accident,ignore it,clean up and go back a step with the timing.

For those of you who are in apartments and want to use pads or litter trays the routine is just the same only taking the pup to the pad/tray instead of outside.

Consistancy from all the family members is the main thing and don't chastise the pup at all ,if they have an accident then you have not been watching them properly.

For cleaning up any accidents I have been told to use Biological washing liquid,always rinse thoroughly,allow to dry completely then spray with surgical spirit which breaks down the fat in the urine which holds the odour,this can be used on carpets, I also give a good squirt of Febreeze. If you don't get rid of the odour completely the pup will return to the same place time and again.

If you are going out and leaving the pup in it's crate remember their bladders are not very big initially and you have to expect a couple of wet patches when you come back,when the pup is bigger make sure the area in the crate is not big enough for a "wee" area and a sleep area,the crate should just be big enough to allow the pup to lie down and turn around. If the pup is being left in the kitchen provide some newspaper for the pup to use as a toilet,better than puddles all over the floor.

Eventually everything will click in place but it is worth remembering that dachsgunds are not easy to housetrain and as long as you follow the above you will get there in the end. You may have relapses when something changes in their lives but just go back to basics for a few days and it will click back into place.

Scent marking can be a problem with unneutered dogs but is not always cured by having them neutered,bitches can scent mark too.

lotsadox
10-19-2006, 03:55 PM
:welcome2: :welcome2: :welcome2: to DLC! Great advice has been given. Since I've never pee pad trained a dog, I have nothing to add. Just wanted to welcome you.

JanUet
10-19-2006, 06:01 PM
:Welcome1: Katie and Busta to the DLC family! :hug99:
You have been givne some terrific advise so far. Just wanted to :welcome2: you and Busta to the wonderful world of Doxie Lovers :hearts: :hearts:

Patt
10-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi Kate and :Welcome1: to the DLC. I hope you enjoy all your visits. You've gotten great suggestions. The only thing I can add is you need lots of time (probably several months), vigilance, patience and commitment. Also there's a saying out there on the Internet regarding dog/puppy training.....

Using A Rolled Up Newspaper in Dog Training
Roll up several pieces of newspaper really tightly. Keep it handy
for whenever your puppy or dog does something bad, like chew
up a favorite item, pee on the rug, or whatever. Take the rolled up paper
and... hit yourself over the head with it, while repeating to yourself,
"Watch your dog more closely, stupid!"

:goodluck: and keep us posted on Busta. :sausage:

Tex
10-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Hello Kate and Busta and welcome to the DLC!!!!:Welcome1: I think you have some great advice already.....I was going to suggest cutting the wee wee pads in half too! I also love Patt's quote about hitting oneself in the head when the dog has an accident in the house!!! Good luck to you and Busta and a big welcome to our group!!!!!!!:banana:

P.S.-great post Lee Anne!!!

lizzieb38
10-19-2006, 09:57 PM
First of:welcome2: :welcome2: :welcome11 :welcome7: :welcome6: to the DLC! Glad you and Buster could join us. Was also going to suggest cutting the pads in half. My $$$(Discount $$$) store has been carrying peepads, I think there are 4 to a pack. I don't use peep pads, but agree that he's just a babe so be patient.:welcome2: :welcome2: again!

ebmw1975
10-19-2006, 10:43 PM
:welcome2: :Welcome3: :welcome4: To DLC! You have already gotten great advice. I am Brooke the mom to Jake and Oscar and they are pee pad/towel trained. What I do is get the walmart brand flat sheet for incontinant people it is w/ the poise pads and cut them in half. But that is for 2 you cancut them in fourths too. They arent scented but mine wont go when they are scented for dogs anyways and its a good price. Just give him time. We got Jake as a puppy and it took 6-9 months for it to be 99% and we got Oscar when he was 9 monrhs old and it took a good year with him but now he is also 99%. Also I did notice that it was quicker and easier w/ Jake as we got him fixed as soon as we could and as Oscar was already older he marked as well and that has stopped for the most part. So If you are not going to be breeding him I would get him fixed as it really helps w/ the marking and pee pad in the house.! Brooke