View Full Version : Taffy saw the vet today

Jacqueline
10-20-2006, 01:12 AM
I thought we were just going to go in today to have the little dear's bear claws cut down to size (why don't my nails grow like that?), and make an appointment for Taffy to get her shots....all due 11/4. The receptionist says "Why don't you have them all done now?", and before I can open my mouth, my dh says, "Ok". (Hey? Who pays these vet bills?)

I had planned to get nails clipped ($21) and pick up Heartgard ($28) this week, Frontline ($42) next week, and her shots when due.

She got everything except Bordello (sp?), also the heartworm snap test (wonder why....Daisy got the well occult test) fecal float, rabies and licence ($10+$3 fee because she is spayed). They did not charge me for the clipping (so thankful) and the bill came to just over $121. I was surprised. Definitely pleased that they didn't charge for the clipping.

I asked about the Bordello. The vet said that unless I was planning on boarding them, they didn't need it. I said something about taking them to the petstores. He said, "don't take them in the pet stores. That is where you have the most bugs. Worst place to take them. Leave them in the hot car." Oh no...fighting words, hot car. I hate people who leave pets in hot cars, and even tho he was joking, it is a real hot button with me. He sort of grimmanced and said..."kidding, but not about the pet stores....don't take them there."

I do believe when we go up north I will get that for them, since they will be hanging out with other dogs, and will be staying in motels some. My dh says he never thought about it, but we will be washing their toys now. How am I gonna wash new bobos without taking the fun out of it for them? After the last trip to Petsmart with them.....not taking them in will not be a hardship. But it gave us something to think about.

Taffy was very good about the vet trip today. She weighs 9.2 lbs and Daisy weighs 12.8.....very good. Daisy is long, but I still think she is small for a standard.

catstamm
10-20-2006, 01:22 AM
12.8 can't be a standard Jacqueline....who told you she was a standard.....
Mine have had bordatella in the past but I would never do it again....I've witnessed 2 doxies die from it. Why do you think your pups need it? I think you are very careful with your pups.....unless they are with a lot of strange dogs in a confined area, for a length of time....I'd pass on the bordatella....Congrats on not being charged for the nails.

Jacqueline
10-20-2006, 01:29 AM
12.8 can't be a standard Jacqueline....who told you she was a standard.....
Mine have had bordatella in the past but I would never do it again....I've witnessed 2 doxies die from it. Why do you think your pups need it? I think you are very careful with your pups.....unless they are with a lot of strange dogs in a confined area, for a length of time....I'd pass on the bordatella....Congrats on not being charged for the nails.

I know they both were given it when they were in the shelter and HS respectively. He asked if I would board them, but that won't happen. I did specifically ask for a non-lepto shot. There has been a lot of info out around here lately that talks about getting it for your pet, because of cases showing up, but...... . My girls don't hang out with cows or horses, we watch our backyard for critters coming in, and especially for spoor, and never allow them near anything that remotely looks like wildlife leftovers. The biggest problem in that area I would foresee would be with racoons, and the only place they might come in contact would be Sanibel, and I know racoon spoor when I see it. I just worry about lepto.

I'd never heard of a dog dying from the bordatella spray. Was there any other problem or was it given with anything else?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d10/JacquelineBurns/naponnewcover.jpg
Here's a photo that might let you see the comparison in their size. They are pretty much both full grown. Taffy is 22 months, Daisy is almost 16 months.

Oh....Daisy is definitely not a mini.....she is very long, and taller than Taffy. She is probably a tweenie. She is on the slight side, but not skinny, ....and I know if they thought she was underweight, the vet and tech would say so. I always figured she was small for a standard, tho she is listed as one.

catstamm
10-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Yeah...lepto can be very hard on dachshunds.....mine have never had any problems with vaccines but, now that I know more about them, I don't want to take the chance either. I would go with titers test , once they are both 2 yrs.
I can't remember the technical name for it but, dogs have had reactions to bordatella that causes them to bleed to death internally......
Your girls are both stunning....

areese
10-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Yeah...lepto can be very hard on dachshunds.....mine have never had any problems with vaccines but, now that I know more about them, I don't want to take the chance either. I would go with titers test , once they are both 2 yrs.
I can't remember the technical name for it but, dogs have had reactions to bordatella that causes them to bleed to death internally......
Your girls are both stunning....

I can't find any information on that....do you have an article?

Bella's Mom
10-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Bella had a terrible reaction to lepto when it was given to her last year. You have to weight the pros/cons on all the vaccines and do what you feel is best for your pups. Lepto will never be given to Bella again and cooper goes in for his next round of vaccines tomorrow and lepto won't be one of them.

BTW...Taffy and Daisy are just precious. So very pretty. :angel7: :hearts: :angel7:

Tex
10-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Gorgeous puppers you got there!!!! Glad Taffy had a good visit at the vet!!! I think as long as you are involved and informed (as informed as possible) about different vaccines and such, then you can make decisions that are best for your fur family!:banana: (We don't do lepto either, and I'm going to research the bordetella more before getting it again)

Patt
10-20-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm happy to hear the girls are in good health. :appl: Definitely no Lepto for small dogs. My vet suggests Bordetella b/c the disease is airborne. If your furkids are going to be around a lot of dogs in different places you might consider it. Just remember vaccines are not 100% guaranteed. If they do come down with a case of Bordetella, the suggested treatment is antibiotics.

http://www.petshealth.com/dr_library/kennekcough.html

The mini Dachshund weighs less than 11# at 12 months, and the standard is 16-32#. So in between those weights are "tweenies" but this is not officially recognized by AKC.

Frzframe
10-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Glad everything went well at the vet's office. :)

Man if you can't take your babies to the pet store how will some of them get the socialization they need? I know mine need to be taken out more but since it's a drive to take them to any pet store we normally skip taking the dogs but if there was one in town I would take them all the time.

My vet doesn't get Lepto at all to any small dogs. :D

Jacqueline
10-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Glad everything went well at the vet's office. :)

Man if you can't take your babies to the pet store how will some of them get the socialization they need? I know mine need to be taken out more but since it's a drive to take them to any pet store we normally skip taking the dogs but if there was one in town I would take them all the time.

My vet doesn't get Lepto at all to any small dogs. :D

When I take the girls, they have to stay in the cart. Some of the owners of big dogs apparently do not have the sense God gave a rock, and they let the dogs run up on the others. I had a Rott scare the begeez out of them and me on one trip and the owner didn't move the dog or apologize or come back from whatever planet he was on.

The last time we were at Petsmart, Daisy decided to leap from the cart, give me a heart attack, and managed to rip my finger open. And that was outside the store.

I think I wil take the vet's advice. We can always take them to visit other people who have dogs we know. And of course, Taffy loves everything except pitbulls, lol.