View Full Version : Harley has been put on a diet.

blueyezz74
12-27-2005, 05:19 PM
No extra treats besides filled kong in morning.
No people food.
No cookies or biscuits.
Nothing.

I was told many time recently, "OMG, Harley got fat!" So it was time.

I feel like a bad mommy. He has been hording me when I have food. I was eating chocolates last night and he wanted that box so bad.

Harley, please lose your weight quickly!

Lisa
12-27-2005, 05:25 PM
Lots of rayz :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: Harley! Pogo and Pixel know what you are going through, as they are in the same boat.

Don't feel like a bad Mommy! It is so hard to say no to those eyes.

Courtney
12-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Poor Harley!!

You may want to try putting all his food in the Kong and letting him eat it throughout the day. That way he feels like he is working for his food and it might wear him out or make him feel more satisfied. There are other things you can do....I have a good article on enrichment I will post that was in our Dane rescue newsletter.

And I posted it here: http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?p=11289

Patt
12-27-2005, 05:27 PM
No extra treats besides filled kong in morning.
No people food.
No cookies or biscuits.
Nothing.

I was told many time recently, "OMG, Harley got fat!" So it was time.

I feel like a bad mommy. He has been hording me when I have food. I was eating chocolates last night and he wanted that box so bad.

Harley, please lose your weight quickly!
You are NOT a bad mommy, just a loving one!! If you follow that 'diet' he will lose weight. Although the extra treats in the Kong need to be subtracted from the feedings. Good luck and keep us posted.

K2
12-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Poor Harly!! I know it's going to be tough on you, too Donna. Sending :rayz::rayz: for quick weight loss. Have you tried the no salt green beans in with his food at all?

Loren
01-18-2006, 11:40 AM
How is Harley doing on his diet? :willpower

jenfer
01-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Poor Harley!!

You may want to try putting all his food in the Kong and letting him eat it throughout the day. That way he feels like he is working for his food and it might wear him out or make him feel more satisfied. There are other things you can do....I have a good article on enrichment I will post that was in our Dane rescue newsletter.

And I posted it here: http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?p=11289

Hey Courtney, I agree with what you said there, but if Gigi get fed twice a day, she doesn't get that much kibbles. You think that will last ALL DAY???

And I am having a hard time not giving Gigi human food. She sits right next to me with at least 1 paw on my thigh and looking at me with those pretty eyes... and if I "forget" she was there she would give me a gentle scratch on my thigh... like a *subtle* "hey, remember me? i am here!!!" :rotfl: She doesn't get too much other treats... I do use some tiny pieces when we work on stuff, but other than that not really.

Loren
01-18-2006, 12:10 PM
And I am having a hard time not giving Gigi human food. She sits right next to me with at least 1 paw on my thigh and looking at me with those pretty eyes... and if I "forget" she was there she would give me a gentle scratch on my thigh... like a *subtle* "hey, remember me? i am here!!!" :rotfl: She doesn't get too much other treats... I do use some tiny pieces when we work on stuff, but other than that not really.

You give in to the L@@k huh? BAD BAD BAD! Once you start, it's very difficult to stop. I would try and discourage this if you can.

jenfer
01-18-2006, 12:14 PM
You give in to the L@@k huh? BAD BAD BAD! Once you start, it's very difficult to stop. I would try and discourage this if you can.

I know. But even if I don't look at her, she would REMIND me by scratching my thigh. I don't have a dining table, so I sit on the couch when I eat.

Loren
01-18-2006, 12:17 PM
I know. But even if I don't look at her, she would REMIND me by scratching my thigh. I don't have a dining table, so I sit on the couch when I eat.

So...let her remind you and DON'T give in...she'll eventually get the message, otherwise SHE has trained YOU!

Jen
01-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Donna, I'm so sorry to hear about Harley, not fun for any of you! But I know how easy it can be to overfeed them, they just LOVE food so much.

Are you trying to walk him more, and adding extra playtime? More exercise will help the weight come off faster!

JanUet
01-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Poor Harley :sosad:

Since Sophie is on a Diet.....that means......Casey and I are on a diet as well!

No more eating Potato Chips, Licorice, Carmels, Fritos, Ham Sandwiches or any other snackies at night. I can't stand the L@@K I get.

I do have a stash in the bathroom cupboard :rotfl: I think Sophie is on to me tho........Seems I'm in the bathroom alot lately :lol:

jenfer
01-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Funny you said that. When Gigi is on a diet, I am also sort of on diet too. I bought some donuts yesterday and I put it in my room on top of the dresser. *Someone* with short little legs keeping "sitting pretty" and sniffing the area around the dresser.

lotsadox
01-18-2006, 12:59 PM
It happens. :sigh: Bogart was 17 lbs at one point! :shocked: It wasn't easy, but he's now a svelte 12 lbs and looks great. When I look at pics of him when he was 17 lbs I can't believe I let that happen, but I did. You'll get his weight down and be so proud. :hula1:

Jacqueline
01-18-2006, 01:30 PM

My dh and I tend to eat on the couch, watching tv. And I let Taffy sit right between us, and she gets told NO, sit down. If she can't behave herself, she gets to watch us eat from her crate. It's not fair to either of you to let her train you to let her do that.

He sat on the couch last night, with an open jar of mayonaise, and walked off. She jumped up and licked it. Both of them got scolded. He is just lucky he is too big to fit into a crate. :rotfl:

Mama S.
01-18-2006, 03:03 PM
HAND UP in the air - I have a fatty also. I was guilty of not paying attention when I fed the herd. After I had Oscar snipped, he started "growing" and growing and growing. With the fall/winter we had plus working more hours than I want to remember - I let him get way overweight - all of a sudden my eyes opened and I "SAW" - he would eat his food then push the next in line out of the way and continue on with theirs. SOoo, I eagle eye the food bowls - make it a point to watch everyone eating and when he goes for someone elses food he goes into the next room behind the puppy gate until everyone is done. Next project is to get some walking time in with him. I will be sooo glad when the stupid time changes back. It is almost dark when I get home from work - we have very few street lights NO sidewalks and pure dern crazy people driving so walking after dark is not much of a choice. Maybe get a few extra pounds off me too!
SAndi

Jen
01-18-2006, 03:09 PM
We are careful with Tasha only to give a small treat or two a night from whatever the humans are eating on the couch. A miniscule piece of cheese, a tiny bit of pickle (she loves pickles, though I eat new pickles so they're less salty, as I worry about sodium for both of us!), a bit of meat. Teeny, tiny pieces. We watch her figure and weigh her if we're worried. I got a digital baby scale on ebay for about $30 which is great to have for peace of mind!

Rae
01-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Donna- at the risk of sounding like a big board-hog :holyshp: I have input! Surprise... Duchie is currently a wee bit too thin due to her diet- she weighed in at a sleek 11.6 lbs Monday morning. She had gotten up to almost 15lbs, and she was... reubenesque? statuesque? a little dog like a sausage with way too much stuffed in the casing??

dare I whisper fat? (Back off, Pokey, she WAS)...

I cut her back to less food, and fewer treats (changed what she waas getting too, I highly recommend Lamb Lung... Katja's wire girls turned her on to that and she loves it!) No aft, almost no calories and they love it.

Sorry I digress... HRH the Duchess has felt like a new dog since losing the weight in combination with the supplements I give her. She is frisky and no longer just slugs around. Her quality of life has improved and although she still thinks she is starving to death, she is getting plenty of nutrition for her stature and activity level. AND she looks :bellydanc:

Did you look into diet doggie food? Duchie is eating a senior formula that is low fat and high in stuff good for their joint health- Chicken Soup.... I know many here feed RAW, and there are plenty of opinions out there...

It was hard to say no to the LQQK... believe me... and last night I made homemade steak fajitas and cut belly and all she got her front legs up on my chair to give me the LQQK upclose and personal. Still I said no. It is hard and you feel mean, but it may be the best thing you can for your pupper.

Toughlove :janet:

Jen
01-18-2006, 03:55 PM
last night I made homemade steak fajitas and cut belly and all she got her front legs up on my chair to give me the LQQK upclose and personal. Still I said no.

Wow, you are good! I don't think I could have managed to say no in that case.

Yes, Tasha knows who the softie in the family is!!

Loren
01-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Did you look into diet doggie food? Duchie is eating a senior formula that is low fat and high in stuff good for their joint health- Chicken Soup.... I know many here feed RAW, and there are plenty of opinions out there...

Becareful with those "so called diet foods" they are frequently loaded with MORE grains and less protein.