PDA

View Full Version : People leaving my apt.....

Dijon04
10-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Does this ever happen to anyone else? Surprisingly mikey tolerates guests at my apt (okay so I've only had 3 different friends over...all girls :rolleyes: ) and he seems to be okay with them...except when they try to leave.

when they go to the door he goes crazy barking and snarling? its like he's saying AND STAY OUT! why is he tolerating them when they are here but all bitter when they try to leave?

lizzieb38
10-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Maybe he doesn't really want them to leave and is saying,"Get back in dat livingwoom Now!"

Alex's Mom
10-23-2006, 02:04 PM
That's what Alex does ... but I put it down to the fact that when she was a puppy, Maxe was pretty old and deaf and didn't bark when people came into the door, just when they left; I figure that Alex learned that that's the way it worked!!! :rotfl: She's really bad when anyone goes into another room and closes the door (like when company goes to use the bathroom). i've done everything I can think of (obedience stuff works pretty well), but haven't broken her of the habit...yet another case of "management" with Miss Alex!!!!! :sosad:)

Helen
10-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Does this ever happen to anyone else? Surprisingly mikey tolerates guests at my apt (okay so I've only had 3 different friends over...all girls :rolleyes: ) and he seems to be okay with them...except when they try to leave.

when they go to the door he goes crazy barking and snarling? its like he's saying AND STAY OUT! why is he tolerating them when they are here but all bitter when they try to leave?

YES! Charlie does this, not so much to guests (I put him in his crate when guests leave because of this) but to us as well. I posted about it once before, but no one seemed to have any insight. I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

He's very peculiar about when he acts like that toward us. If BF and I both leave at the same time, he's fine. If one of us leaves (or goes upstairs where he's not allowed) and the other is staying home/downstairs, that's what he doesn't like. The only way I've found to semi-control it is to keep telling him to sit/stay as I leave. I don't get it, and if anyone could explain the behavior I'd be really grateful.

So, in sum, no help, but you're not alone!!

areese
10-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Some friends of mine had that problem with their corgi. He would grab people's clothes and drag them back into the house! Barked, growled, basically had a fit everytime anyone left (including his owners). They worked on "stay" and had him sit and stay when anyone came or left. Or before they let him out. Really anytime the door was used he had to sit and stay. They would practice with him by having him stay and one of them leaving, the one remaining would treat him. Then both leaving. Of course you have to work on "stay" first....so that he understands that command. And I suppose "leave it" or "quiet" would be good ones too. You could distract him with treats (have him do any tricks he knows) when people leave. Reward him for being quiet and paying attention to you. That's all I can think of.....

Lisa
10-23-2006, 03:22 PM
You're not going to believe this, but I watched a Cesar marathon yesterday, and this was on it. I think Denise Richards had the exact same problem. It is a dominance thing and does need to be corrected. You also need a lot of guess to come over and practice. You have to stand between Mikey D and block his guest access with your calm & submissive SHHHT. It worked for her, so hopefully it will work for MikeyD too.

catstamm
10-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Cesar has a whole episode about that ....I'll check to see which one it is.....

Patt
10-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Cesar has a whole episode about that ....I'll check to see which one it is.....That particular episode was on yesterday (Sun). This one was a little white Maltese that barked and tried to bite everyone as they were leaving the business.

Edit: OOPS, I didn't read all the messages... dupe info. Sorry!

Helen
10-23-2006, 10:12 PM
If it is the Denise Richards episode, it's coming on again, 10/24 at 12:00 am. I set it to record, so if you can't watch it Angela I'll give you a full recap of what Cesar says. :)

Tex
10-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Man, makes me glad my puppers aren't big barkers. No great advice that hasn't been mentioned already....good luck!

Dijon04
10-24-2006, 04:56 PM
I actually saw the denise richards episode but didnt really pay all that much attention to it....sigh...I'll try and rewatch it.

thanks for the advice

Kerie
10-24-2006, 05:11 PM
I think it has something to do with pack order. Your pup feels that, as leader of the pack, he gets to say who comes and goes and when. When he barks at your friends, he is insisting on being the boss and they are not taking his orders.