PDA

View Full Version : A Little Insensitive, But It's Me~

Otto'sMom
10-23-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm a little ticked off....and feeling a little ripped off. I had Lizzie cremated at the cost of 150 bucks. Thought it was a reasonable cost, remembering I'd paid that much when I had Izzy Wartzburg cremated.

This is what I got for my money with Izzy Wartzburg:
A big basket and "rainbow bridge" suitable for framing, and certificate authenticating his remains, with his entire name on it too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Anewborg/Mississippi145.jpg

This is what I got for my money with Lizzie Borden:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Anewborg/Mississippi144.jpg
A photocopied rainbow bridge with just "Lizzie" on it and 2 other rather cheesy copies of poems about "cat heaven" and a card. I'm sorry, but that tin urn is TACKY. Not even the right color of cat. Burnie is gonna look at it and think he's next or something. I'm annoyed, but they're the only game in town and the thought of burying her just wasn't considerable.
I feel gypped.
I may sound insensitive, but geeze! It's crappy and not good enough for my cat.
At least I got a nice card from Mama S. with a photo of my girl. Thank you for that, it was classier than the whole tin in a white bag thing the "elderly couple who do this" came up with.
(it's OK to laugh at this, I mean, COME ON! That tin is just NOT even...)

Anatresia
10-23-2006, 07:02 PM
Okay, Andrea, I'll jump on the insensitive bandwagon with you. That is pretty bad. I'm sorry. It's just... it reminds me of a tin old people would keep hard candy in, not an urn. The urn for your other baby is much nicer.

I'm sorry you lost your kitty, and then you got ripped on the urn. Maybe you can find a new urn and get someone to transfer the remains? (I wouldn't be able to do it myself...)

oceangirls
10-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Yes... I'm laughing... you're laughing... Lizzie is at the Bridge laughing. It does look like a hard candy tin :rolleyes:.

I bet you can find her a nice urn somewhere and keep cat treats in that one. Sheesh!!! I'm sorry about the cost :(

Laurie' s Dachshunds
10-23-2006, 07:19 PM
:shocked: :confused: I totally agree, it' s cheesy! That sucks! It is like dollar store-cheap looking even. I think I would seriously ask to have the remains put into a REAL Urn!
I don' t blame you for being mad! I' m sorry that you were jipped.

AgileOllie
10-23-2006, 07:31 PM
I would totally complain. I had my Caillou creamated a couple of years ago. She came back in a plastic dog house. I found out later that that creamatorium had "mass cremations" and you didn't even get your own pet back. It was a combination of all the other pets cremated that day. I would SOOO complain.

Otto'sMom
10-23-2006, 07:40 PM
I would totally complain. I had my Caillou creamated a couple of years ago. She came back in a plastic dog house. I found out later that that creamatorium had "mass cremations" and you didn't even get your own pet back. It was a combination of all the other pets cremated that day. I
Now that sucks. I'd be so bitter, the whole point of getting them cremated was to be able to 'take them with me' if I moved again.
At least I know that it's just Lizzie and not somebody's Aunt Tillie.:rotfl:

JanUet
10-23-2006, 07:51 PM
I would complain BIG TIME!

I'm NOT laughing! That is downright Ridiculous! $150. bucks for that!

C'MON!:mad2:

You could have got a real nice ceramic pot and had her placed in it yourself!

Take Lizzie with you and demand a better resting place for her!!!!!!

OR

Buy an Urn (with her name on it) online or sumphin and place her ashes in it! Take that tin and throw it in their faces!

Oh, I'm steamed! :mad2:

:holyshp: :sosad:

Red Haired Girl
10-23-2006, 08:11 PM
When I had my Snuggles creamated 3 years ago, she came back in a white plastic box with a photo copy poem and a tag with her creamation # on it. The circumstances are pretty much the same; elderly couple that takes the pets to the crematorium, then bring them back to you. They are not making a killing - no pun intended - on this service and they are the only people to do this within 100 miles.

I, too was a bit put out at the box Snuggles came home in, but I realized that this old couple did something for me that not many others are willing to do. Do I feel I got my 150.00 worth? Yes.

Now - I did laugh at the tin cat cause that's funnier than hell.

Frzframe
10-23-2006, 08:14 PM
:shocked:
Yeah I wouldn't be to please but with my Aunt Sharon she came back in a a baggie in a brown box. :scratch:

I'd find a nice urn to put her in and consider it a lessoned learned.

Romandachs
10-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Okay, I am VERY Sorry for your loss but I have been LMAO at these posts and the stupid "smirk" on the cats face! If I was your other cat I think I would worry too, he is probably thinking "Good God" Mom already bought me a resting box!"
On another note, our cremations are not that expensive, however, you get the remains back in a plastic box tucked inside of a slightly larger cardboard box. They do offer urns for purchase, but at a really HIGH price, but they do have an assorment to choose from. Both of the cremations I have had done were FREE. I guess it was a courtesy thing between vets and we do send them business. I have always told them there is no rush. When they do the mass cremations or a private one for someone else, either put my pets in before or after he does all the rest. It costs a LOT of money to start those things up. It has been a good thing around here, we have taken several "Special" rescues over and had them cremated for DRNA and for a small dog, it is not too expensive at all around here. They charge an arm and a leg for a BIG dog though. As if it costs more to cremate a larger dog, I suppose it would be a hassle to get it in there due to the sheer weight and may have to be in there a bit longer, but still.

lizzieb38
10-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Ya buddy, I'd be pissing and moaning, and throwing one hell of a complaint. I know this really isn't funny, but My dad came home from AZ via the United States Postal Service-1st Class,Registered, insured mail( which is scary now that I think about it huh Fluffy???) But I know he was up there laughing with me when I told people that! You should have seen the looks on their faces:shocked: :scratch: ! Anyway, think you should B*TCH big time!!!

areese
10-23-2006, 08:23 PM
It is kinda tacky....I'd get something better that you like and transfer the ashes. It would have been nice if you didn't have to do that but...you have her with you which is what you wanted.
Sorry this had to add more stress and sadness to an already sad situation :(
:hug99:

Red Haired Girl
10-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Beckie brought up a good point: When DH called to inquire about having Snuggles done, the first question asked was "How much does she weigh" They price it by the weight of the animal.

alfina
10-23-2006, 09:02 PM
I paid $170 to cremate Rumble who was 76 lbs at the time. He came back in such an ugly wooden box. It was glued shut. It was so ugly, I couldn't believe it. But when he died, it was so sudden and both of us were so out of it. I couldn't even think about asking what it would look like or what our options are.

I ordered him a nice urn with his name on it. When it came, I took a chance and cracked the ugly box open with dh's tools. The ashes inside were just in a plastic bag.

lotsadox
10-23-2006, 09:46 PM
I agree, it is tacky. :rolleyes: At least we got black ceramic urns when we had our cremated. ITA, get a nice urn and transfer the ashes. :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: Sorry you're having to deal with this on top of your loss.

samandissy
10-23-2006, 10:02 PM
During the past 13 years or so I've had one doxie and many cats cremated using different vets in different cities. They all came back in a cedar box glued shut with a little gold lock on it. Some included a name plate others didn't, one even included a ceramic paw print, don't know if it was her paw print or not. I was just glad to get them back and just got lucky because every place put them in the same box. Maybe we should be able to pick out the urn we want them returned in.

Goob
10-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Okay, Andrea, I'll jump on the insensitive bandwagon with you. That is pretty bad. I'm sorry. It's just... it reminds me of a tin old people would keep hard candy in, not an urn.

WTF is that? There's probably chocochip cookies inside. :shocked:

Otto'sMom
10-23-2006, 10:16 PM
WTF is that? There's probably chocochip cookies inside. :shocked:

Hmmmm:scratch: I am kind of hankering some cookies now.....:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Stoopid smirky tin.

There's really not anyone to complain to. The vet techs assured me that they do a "wonderful job" and maybe if I hadn't had something better I wouldn't be so annoyed. They were so sympathetic and sincere, I'd feel like such an ass if I walked in and sat that tin down and said "You HAVE GOT TO BE SH*TTING ME!"

You guys are all right, Lizzie is LAUGHING at it from the Bridge. The look on my face must've been "priceless" when I looked in the bag. I'll find something better to put her in, something that would befit her better than an OLD Lady candy/very small cookies cat tin.:rolleyes:

Goob
10-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Well, that tin DOES look more secure than that one in "Meet the Fockers". :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Otto'sMom
10-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Well, that tin DOES look more secure than that one in "Meet the Fockers". :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

What stage of grief is it when you can't stop laughing at the stoopid smirky cookie candy tin urn:scratch: :rotfl:

Goob
10-23-2006, 10:32 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl:

What stage of grief is it when you can't stop laughing at the stoopid smirky cookie candy tin urn:scratch: :rotfl:

Who knows, but it's good to laugh. :banana: :duh:

Otto'sMom
10-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Damn smirky urn started it....it doesn't even look like a serene mysterious cat. It looks like it seriously came from the dolla store, and not the dollar store, cause they bought it down town in the bad part of town...even the looters wouldn't steal it during Katrina.

Goob
10-23-2006, 10:41 PM
It might have been "regifted" at some point? :duh:

Otto'sMom
10-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Couldn't you just picture? Prying open the tin..."Oh, it's chocochip cookie mix! Score!!":rotfl:

Goob
10-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Couldn't you just picture? Prying open the tin..."Oh, it's chocochip cookie mix! Score!!":rotfl:

This cookie batter is really strange....

K2
10-24-2006, 07:37 AM
I agree 100%!!! That tin looks like something that mints come in! Come on, I know they could have done better!!:mad:

Tex
10-24-2006, 08:15 AM
I hope you can find something nicer to put Lizzie's ashes in :hearts: .................(yes, I did have to laugh some after reading all this :rotfl: ). They do say that laughter is the best medicine.....:duh:

Rae
10-24-2006, 08:41 AM
oh.....my......dog.....

That is the tackiest thing I have ever seen and believe you me, I have seen tacky. (Remember, I live in Kentucky)

I think it is a rip off but am very glad you are able to laugh at the smirky cat from the 99 cent store. Methinks he was in the 2 fer 1 bin at that.

Lizzie is no doubt laughing her feline ass off at the bridge.

Two Red Smooth's
10-24-2006, 09:33 AM
First off I"m sorry for your loss.

Would it be possible to buy another urn (In The Company Of Dogs has some nice ones ) and possibly ask them to transfer them to that (if you don't want to hurt feelings, maybe you can say you want them to match or something???)

unless you have a good sense of humor I don't think I could handle my loved one in that, tacky thing.

quavec
10-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Oh Andrea - that IS tacky. Even by Mississippi standards. Take heart in knowing that they did seem sympathetic to your loss. THEY might think the ummm....err..tin..is a wonderful showcase for your Lizzie.

I'd get an urn for Lizzie and keep that one as a way to get a chuckle now and again. Lizzie is laughing and thinking "uh huh...see you guys..THIS is what happens to ya.......muuuaaaahhhhhh"

JanUet
10-24-2006, 11:26 AM
:omg: :omg: :omg: :faint:

LOOK!

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Choice-of-Embossed-Cat-Shaped-Tin_W0QQitemZ330041677684QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1338QQ cmdZViewItem

Red Haired Girl
10-24-2006, 11:54 AM
ohhh, Andrea is gonna be Pist!

quavec
10-24-2006, 12:02 PM
:wtf: :conf4: :faint:

Lee Anne
10-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Wow Januet! You're amazing! Sorry about your kitty Andrea...:hug99:

catstamm
10-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Oh Andrea that is terrible.....I'm so sorry they put you kitty in a "party favor tin"....Didn't they offer you choices????
Hans cost $130.00 and came in a beautiful cedar lock box (not as pretty as the first urn you have).....I passed on the "Rainbow Bridge" peom.... no offense to anyone but.... Jen Jen would be miserable if she had to hang out w/ other dogs waiting for me :confused: "All dogs go to heaven"!!!!

Otto'sMom
10-24-2006, 12:36 PM
75 cents???? Not even a dolla???? I'm not angry, it's too freaking funny to be angry at. I'm tempted to take it to work and keep it on my desk. Friggin ebay:rotfl: Friggin smirky "party favor" tins/urns:rotfl: WTF?? They're charging 7 bucks for shipping!
I will get a nicer one, I just HAD to share my indignation at what I was given. I've got 9 more cats...maybe I should get a bid on those tins just to prepare for the future.:rolleyes:
:rotfl: (I need a bursting into laughter during a funeral smilie here)

quavec
10-24-2006, 01:01 PM
I've got 9 more cats...maybe I should get a bid on those tins just to prepare for the future.:rolleyes:

:spit: :rotfl:

Jacqueline
10-24-2006, 02:57 PM
75 cents???? Not even a dolla???? I'm not angry, it's too freaking funny to be angry at. I'm tempted to take it to work and keep it on my desk. Friggin ebay:rotfl: Friggin smirky "party favor" tins/urns:rotfl: WTF?? They're charging 7 bucks for shipping!
I will get a nicer one, I just HAD to share my indignation at what I was given. I've got 9 more cats...maybe I should get a bid on those tins just to prepare for the future.:rolleyes:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hey, did I just see cats scatter to write protest signs

Otto'sMom
10-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Nah, they weren't writing protest signs, they were peeing on my rugs and hoarfing up hairballs strategically placed so I'd step in them with bare feet.

Tex
10-24-2006, 07:33 PM
:omg: :holyshp:

Mama S.
10-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Mama who always has something to say about everything is just going to sidestep this one. Glad you liked the card A!
Wanna topper?? My Mom donated her body to Emory for study in their leukemia program when she died. We got her cremains back a little over a year later. Right after that it was all over the news about the guy in North Georgia who was supposed to be doing cremations but wasn't? Remember?? We went through plain torture until we found out that she was not sent there.
So - get something befitting the dignity of our Lizzie - then send them a nice tin of cookies for their trouble. Goob can bake them.
Mama

catstamm
10-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Start cookin' goob :rotfl: :rotfl:
I totally remember that whole story on the news...Wow that would have been Hell!

Otto'sMom
10-24-2006, 10:51 PM
then send them a nice tin of cookies for their trouble. Goob can bake them.
Mama

:shocked: I don't want to kill them, I'm just annoyed at the 25 cent tin.

Tex
10-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Do we want to risk Goob's life by having her bake cookies??? I really don't think that burning the house down needs to be on Goob's thing-to-do list.......
I'm thinkin' it's good if she stays away from the oven a little longer........

(I :hearts: ya Goob-I just couldn't resist!)