PDA

View Full Version : Canine Good Citizen Certification

Chris
10-24-2006, 09:51 AM
I am writing up a press release because we are having Canine Good Citizen Certification at our fundraiser Nov 12th.

I know what it is comprised of, but what I am having a hard time is finding what the "benefits are"

I was sort of thinking that it would be really good for a dog to have if you are looking for a rental situation or living in a co-op. The landlord/board would be more open to your dog moving in, especially if they were large or a breed that there are misconceptions about if they have it.

But the answer I got was "i don't think there are any benefits - its just fun to do?"

There has to be some real "benefits" to having your dog certified even if they are not momentous- otherwise why would people do it aside from having another piece of paper.

Can anyone give me any real life "features and benefts"? I know why the training is important, but why should people coming to the event want to get certified?

The training isn't being offered - just the certification process

Helen
10-24-2006, 11:03 AM
I found this (http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/index.cfm), it looks like an AKC press release on the subject. You're right, though, it looks like satisfaction of knowing your dog is well-behaved is the main benefit. I also think it's the first step to becoming a therapy dog.

Good luck!

Chris
10-24-2006, 11:12 AM
It reads...

This is a program that can help us assure that the dogs we love will always be welcomed and well-respected members of our communities.

I wonder why they don't give any examples.

I also think it's the first step to becoming a therapy dog.

Okay, that is a good benefit.

But i doubt if most people will have that in mind.
I mean, for example I am a responsible dog owner but i don't have a strong interest in taking my dogs
into nursing homes. (i have so many avocations I am not looking to start another one)
And most people who have busy lives with kids, etc, are probably not going to go into it either.

Do you think that it just has a small audience of interest?

Patt
10-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Perhaps this is an answer for you. Check out this link and see the 10 reasons that benefits you and your dog being a CGC, also the para after.

http://www.thepetprofessor.com/articles/article.aspx?id=1942

Tex
10-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Great link Patt!!!!! (as always) I read that and it sounds wonderful. Hopefully this info. with be good for your purpose Chris!:banana:

jenfer
10-24-2006, 01:26 PM
I want to enroll Gigi in a class again. Just a thought.