PDA

View Full Version : Got Fat Dogs?

Anatresia
10-24-2006, 04:55 PM
I have a new trick I use on Mr. Butters when I get home. He loves his fish oil pills, like a treat.

I put the fishy-fishie (that's what he calls it) into his treat ball and then he has to work his fat butt off to get it out and eat it. It's not bad for him, like extra treats in the treat ball would be, and it gets him moving. And it lets me ignore him for a few minutes, part of that whole separation anxiety thing, so that's a bonus!

Plus, I can spend the time he's playing alone with Rigby for some one-on-one girl bonding time, and we play, giving her some exercise. :cheer2::cheer2: :cheer2:

Last night, I supplemented some of their kibble with plain cooked broccoli. Mr. Butters looked at me like, "Are you kidding?" but ate it anyway because he was hungry. :rotfl:

Tex
10-24-2006, 05:04 PM
I've been supplementing Julie's food with french cut green beans (the regular cut would never do for a princess like Julie....) I started it so I could get a little weight off her......now I swear she won't eat kibble with out green beans!!!!!

quavec
10-24-2006, 05:50 PM
I've been supplementing Julie's food with french cut green beans (the regular cut would never do for a princess like Julie....) I started it so I could get a little weight off her......now I swear she won't eat kibble with out green beans!!!!!

:ditto: I tried that with Cricket. He was appalled when I gave him just kibble after a while.

Cricket thinks if it hits the floor, it's edible :rolleyes: . He needs some exercise too.

K2
10-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Pippit is by no means fat, but he gets veggies at every meal. His favorites are peas, green beans and carrots. He also get either non fat yogurt or non fat cottage cheese. He will actually eat his cottage cheese before his medalians. :shocked: That's my boy!!! :hearts:

Teddysmom
10-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Teddy isn't fat either, but I do add veggies into his dinner meal. His fav is carrots. He likes mixed veggies (except the lima beans), but they have to be the bagged/frozen kind, not out of a can - and trust me....he can tell the difference! He won't eat his dinner without his veggies!

lizzieb38
10-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Mine aren't fatties either, and they both love their veggies and fruit!!! In fact both babes wouldn't leave me alone while I was making the tater tot casserol. MORE BEANS MOM!!!!!

Jacqueline
10-25-2006, 01:02 AM
My girls turned thier noses up at green beans but love carrots, so they get baby carrots with their evening meal.

They really think they are are treats, and beg for them, lol. I wonder how much better they can see in the dark.

blueyezz74
10-25-2006, 12:06 PM
It seems like every time I got into the frig, my two are at my feet begging for some baby carrots. It seems to be the fave veggie in my house.

Bella's Mom
10-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Bella girl LOVES carrot and green beans. She know when mommy comes home she gets a green bean and then it's foodie time! :banana: So far, Coop only likes green beans. He hasn't shown alot of interest in the carrots. :rolleyes:

Tracy, what type of treat ball do you have for Mr. B?

Irminsul
10-25-2006, 02:15 PM
While 'good' treats' and fillers might make him feel fuller after dinner, what he really needs is exercise. He is supposed to be a hunting dog after all. You can't eat yourself thin. You have to burn the calories...

Jacqueline
10-25-2006, 03:32 PM
While 'good' treats' and fillers might make him feel fuller after dinner, what he really needs is exercise. He is supposed to be a hunting dog after all. You can't eat yourself thin. You have to burn the calories...

You mean sitting on the couch watching tv with Mom isn't gonna do it? Oh darn!

You can exercise around the clock, but if you don't watch what you eat, ....

at least, that's what all the experts say.

Anatresia
10-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Mr. Butters DOES get exercise! Food IS our problem.

My dogs get walked by either myself or the grandparents, weather permitting, as much as we can. It was every day for the warmer months, but now we're down to about twice a week, with the weather being so cold already.

I also spend time with them in the evenings playing fetch, not to mention how they "hunt" in the backyard and wrestle together.

For us, it wasn't the amount of exercise he gets- he was eating more calories than he was burning. In the summer, when I'm home, he gets long walks, a few times a day. The problem is the inlaws feed the dogs like crazy, because they think I'm "starving" them by only feeding kibble.

I'm trying to limit Grandparent time, because they just don't listen when I ask them not to feed the dogs. I'm also trying to make up for the times they overfeed with my new veggie and fish oil tricks.

I posted the fish oil trick, because I was happy I found a way to make the treat ball less fattening.

Irminsul
10-25-2006, 05:15 PM
I didn't mean to offend. I just wanted to remind people that exercise is important. You are doing what you can. Hopefully his grandparents can get on the bandwagon...

Anatresia
10-25-2006, 06:05 PM
I know- i just wanted to clarify that I really am TRYING with them. i don't want anyone thinking they're fat because I let them lay around and overfeed them!! :)

Two Red Smooth's
10-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Tracy isn't that treat ball great, we have a talking one, till someone dumped it in the water bowl.

Anatresia
10-26-2006, 08:23 PM
We had a talking one, too, but Rigby is like :scared1: with anything that makes noise, even our voices!:rotfl: So that one went far, far away and we have a new rubber one.