PDA

View Full Version : What flea, tick, and heartworm products do you use?

oceangirls
11-30-2005, 12:59 PM
I thought we would get some opinions from everyone on common issues of dachshund care, for benefit of new dachshund owners who have questions (and anyone who is looking to make a change :) ).

So, what flea, tick, and heartworm preventatives do you prefer?

We have always used monthly Interceptor for heartworm on all our dogs. I use Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks periodically, but I have to admit my dogs are not in high-risk settings (like the woods, or around other dogs with infestations) very often - so I can't say how well it would do then.

My mom's vet used K9 Advantix for our cocker when she had renal failure and got some fleas (the vet felt it was a little safer) - it apparently worked very quickly and killed the fleas.

Opinions, please. :D

Jen
11-30-2005, 01:02 PM
We use Heartguard year round, as we travel in Nov and Feb to warmer climes.

Frontline we use for fleas and ticks from March thru Nov.

Lisa
11-30-2005, 01:05 PM
Mine are on Sentinel for 6 months of the year. They start on May 15th and take their last pill on October 15th. I'm always a little :( when they take their last one because it means it's too :freezing: for the skeeters after that! Otherwise they don't use any other protection.

Courtney
11-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Heartgard year-round here. We still have mosquitoes around....it's a must!

I've made the decision to stop using Frontline regularly and will only use as needed. I plan on looking into more natural repellents...probably the Cloud Nine stuff Patrice uses. It just really worries me to put chemicals on them all the time. I have heard that raw-fed dogs will not attract fleas/ticks - so I guess I'll be testing that theory too!

Patt
11-30-2005, 01:10 PM
We use Sentinel year round for HW protection it also includes Program for sterilizing the flea eggs. For adult fleas we use Advantage. We have used Advantix in the past for flea and ticks.

LUVMYGUNNER
11-30-2005, 01:17 PM
I use Interceptor year round and K-9 Advantix.

Jill
11-30-2005, 01:35 PM
We use Revolution year round.

lotsadox
11-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Since I do all natural medicine, I don't use any conventional flea products. I do use a product by Halo called Cloud Nine Dip. It's marketed as a flea dip, but there are instructions to make a spray. I spray the dogs and the house with it and don't have any problems. I also had my house treated with a natural products similar to Flea Busters but not so toxic. I didn't even have to leave the house while he did it!

HotDogMama
11-30-2005, 07:49 PM
We use Heartguard and Frontline.

Fluffy
11-30-2005, 09:46 PM
I use Advantix.

Loren
12-10-2005, 01:10 PM
We use Interceptor and Frontline (but no flea/tick remedies in the winter)!