PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Butters Vet Visit

Anatresia
12-29-2005, 11:34 PM
So I decided to panic and take Mr. B in for a checkup based on his loud breathing. They basically told me I'm a neurotic mommy and nothing is wrong with him other than the fact that he's fat. Even the heart murmur he used to have seems to be absent- can they get rid of a heart murmur, or was the vet just not hearing it?

The vet said Mr. Fattypants needs to lose 3-5 pounds, although he hasn't gained an ounce since his visit last year. FIVE pounds, though? That would make him the same as Rigby, and he's obviously a bigger dog than her. So I am aiming for the three pound mark. I'd like to see him at 15 or 16 pounds. The vet said that 1/2 cup a day is not going to starve Mr. B, though he might think he's starving, so that's the new plan.

Both dogs are mad at me right now. Mr. B is, because of the vet, and Miss Rigby is because I left her home with my mother during the vet visit and she thought she missed out. They're at the end of the couch, curled up together, backs to the evil Mommy!

Goob
12-29-2005, 11:39 PM
Both of mine have starting breathing loud/choppy breathing/snoring at night. Last night I actually woke up and wondered of our roommate who's gone until January 5th decided to come home early, took a cab from the airport and then was snoring in the next room. Then, I realized it was the Prof.

Glad Mr. Butters is "just fat" and I'm sure come spring time you can get him out and running around. Though, don't forget the "Butters Flex" is still an option! :rotfl:

Patt
12-29-2005, 11:40 PM
I am SO happy to hear that update, your not alone being a "neurotic mommy" it is better to be safe and sorry. :hearts: :hearts: It's hard to tell by pics just how overweight he is, I would go along with the vet then if he is too thin you can add more food. Personally I like them on the lean side much better for their backs and overall health.

Linus
12-30-2005, 12:18 AM
:relieved: I'm glad Mr. Butters is just a little chunky and there's nothing wrong with him!! :banana:

jenfer
12-30-2005, 01:53 AM
You can't be too careful, right? I am glad he is ok. :)

Nancy
12-30-2005, 08:45 AM
Good to hear Mr. Butters is o.k.! :boogie:

Jen
12-30-2005, 09:21 AM
Glad to hear there's nothing wrong with Mr. B other than a few extra pounds!

1/2 c of Evo per day total keeps Tasha slim at 14.5 lbs. We add a berry, yogurt, beans, and pumpkin to that too. Plus a flossie a night.

Lisa
12-30-2005, 09:40 AM
I know they should be more on the lean side, but I like them a little more solid. Pogo can sympathise with Mr. Butters, he has to lose 3 pounds too. And is crying on the couch right now for me to feed him!

Goob
12-30-2005, 09:41 AM
I know they should be more on the lean side, but I like them a little more solid. Pogo can sympathise with Mr. Butters, he has to lose 3 pounds too. And is crying on the couch right now for me to feed him!

The rough life of a dachsie..... Three pounds to lose!? I'd love for that to be my goal! :rotfl:

Yolanda
12-30-2005, 11:06 AM
So I decided to panic and take Mr. B in for a checkup based on his loud breathing. They basically told me I'm a neurotic mommy and nothing is wrong with him other than the fact that he's fat.

I think we are all "neurotic mommies", but that is OK

lotsadox
12-30-2005, 12:06 PM
It's okay to be a neurotic mommy. You're in good company here! I think that your vet was just not hearing the murmur, I don't think that they just "go away". Bogart lost 5 lbs and he's not active. It was tough and took about 9 months or so. Once he lost the first two or three lbs though, he became more active and the last lbs came off faster. Good luck with the weight loss. :banana:

JanUet
12-30-2005, 12:10 PM
I'm happy to read that Mr. Butters is in good health :appl: :boogie:
He just has 3 pounds to lose.......that's not bad.

My Sophie was suppose to be on a diet. I think she has gained 4 pounds not lost it. I will drread taking her to the vet. I don't like the L@@K I get from
the vet. I just smile and tell him......she gains weight just from Pure :love5: :rotfl:

If that was the case....I'm sure EVERYONE'S pupper would be rather hefty!:lol6:

Alex's Mom
12-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Tell Mr. Butters not to feel bad...one of our recent rescues tipped the scales at 40 lbs when we got him. He'd been dumped out in the country and apparently survived by eating garbage (actually, I think Alex really envied him:rotfl: ). He was so bad that he couldn't walk from the car to the house (about 10 feet) when he arrived at Charlotte's, his foster :angel7: She cried when she saw him because he just looked so miserable. But lots of walks (starting slow!) got him down to about 36 pounds while she had him, and his new forever parents have him looking svelte at 30 lbs. They live on a farm, and he has a golden lab buddy... a real dachsie weight loss spa!!! You'll do fine, Mr. B!!! And frankly, much better to be a neurotic mom and nip things in the bud, methinks!

Paula & Alex

oceangirls
12-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Even the heart murmur he used to have seems to be absent- can they get rid of a heart murmur, or was the vet just not hearing it?

He probably outgrew it :) - that is good news.