Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default So mad I could spit nails

Ok...There I was, minding my own buisness watching Lost when all of a sudden I heard a strange noise like some little puppy was up to no good. There he was, in the hallway EATING MY BOOT. MY GOOD LEATHER BOOT I might add. The little booger he is got into the bathroom, dragged it out and sat there and proceeded to chew the leather off the heel. There is NO way to fix it and I am so steaming mad right now its not even funny. What can I do to make him stop this? He eats every shoe he can get ahold of. I do my best at keeping him away from them, put them in high places or into the closet he cant' get into. I didn't realize he can break into the bathroom, or I certainly wouldn't have left them in there. I took the shoe from him and said a very stern "No." He just sat there looking at me licking his lips. What else should i be doing to make him realize this is not ok???
    Becca and always in my heart Heidi and Buddy

Thanks

Default the only thing I can think of

is stop hiding them; bring them into the room he is in, put them on the floor, and actively train him to leave them alone using the same method you would if he tried to chew your couch, table, or books you keep in that room all the time (such as saying "No" firmly and substituting a toy or chew that belongs to him). I can't guarantee he would generalize this to all shoes, though.

Bitter Apple might help if that's worked for you before... although I don't know if it would harm leather or not.

We do the same thing you've done - no shoes on the floor. I think a nice mouth-sized chunk of expensive leather is VERY tempting to a dog!!

So sorry about your shoe - may it rest in peace.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

That might work, Kim. I never thought of that. I might try that with Scooter since I"m getting really tired of having to put my shoes up on top of the counter in the kitchen or the top of the dresser so that Scooter Monster can't get them. So far the only casualty has been one of my favorite thongs (the kind you wear on your feet. Come to think of it there were two casualties of the "other" type of thong. LOL)
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lotsadox
    So far the only casualty has been one of my favorite thongs (the kind you wear on your feet. Come to think of it there were two casualties of the "other" type of thong. LOL)
    :rofl:

I think probably with really expensive shoes, purses, ummm - lingerie, etc... I would still be scared to tempt fate - even if the anti-shoe training seemed to work.:evilgrin: Cassie knows she is not supposed to take things off the coffee table, but she takes my credit card if I forget and leave it there - WHAT'S UP WITH THAT? :faint:
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

We have a church pew in our house and I have been putting my shoes up on it because Dax is a shoe eater! Louis chewed through the strap of my favorite flip flops. They are ratty and old...but I put a safety pin on them to fix them and I still wear them! They are the BEST!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceangirls
    :rofl:

Cassie knows she is not supposed to take things off the coffee table, but she takes my credit card if I forget and leave it there - WHAT'S UP WITH THAT? :faint:
    Obviously, Cassie wants to go shopping! :rofl: :rofl: You go, girl! To the Mall! :rofl:
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lotsadox
    Obviously, Cassie wants to go shopping! :rofl: :rofl: You go, girl! To the Mall! :rofl:
    Snooter was on-line the other day with my master card... just after she chewed my fav... brown boot.. and they're so in this year!!! :confused:
    Karen - Proud Hoomom to Bella "Snooter" Boo & The Professor Buster Brown

Thanks

Peaches has chewed up many shoes. We have to set all of our shoes out of reach. She got a hold of two pairs of black leather boots, one pair of Born shoes, and two pairs of heels! She has gotten a hold of every pair of John's shoes, but he doesn't seem to learn to pick them up.

When people come to visit, I tell them "Do not leave your stuff on the floor and always keep the guest room door shut." That way when something does happen, it's their fault and not Peaches! :angel7:
    Tanya, Peaches & Piper Man

Thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your boots. I've lost many things to chewing I finally learned to put everything up high.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Jen Guest

How frustrating! Tasha is not a chewer, we even have leather pillows on the couch. I consider myself very fortunate.