Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Behind the NAME.

I thought this would be fun and interested...
    How and why did you pick your dogs names???

Personally I like German names for doxies....after all they are German dogs
    Growing up our doxies names were; Heidi, Gretel and Liebchen (sweetheart)
    My first doxie was Hans....
    The only doxie I named that I now own is Camelot, actually my son named her, her name was chosen because she looks like a mini camel.
    Jen Jen and Carlee already were named and I chose not to rename them....
    Your turn:banana:

Thanks

Cricket came with his and we chose not to change it.

I can't wait to hear some of the other members' stories though :D
    Hoomom to Cricket ~ Red Smooth 'tweenie'

Thanks

It was a group effort.

Bailey was given to me as a teeny puppy without a name. I couldn't think of one, so my friends puppysat him while I went to the store to get food and a crate and such. When I came back they started at A... They got down around H and I was convinced Bailey was it. Not a fantastic story, really. :lol:
    Linsey, Bailey, and Piper

Thanks

Well when we got Jake as a puppy I wanted to name him George but DH was a no go so we kept thinking all week and that weekend as I told my mom all the things he had done and gotten into she said oh what a turkey then hubby and dad both said what about Tom, or Jake. I said Jake?And dad said yes it is a young male TURKEY! It fit so that is how Jake is a Jake.
    Oscar was named by his previos bad parents and their little girl. And She named him for Oscar Meier Hot Dogs and as he knew his name at 9 months when we took him and we always knew him as Oscar there it is!
    I lubs:hearts: my boys to pieces:hearts:
    [I]Brooke & Barkly Ween angel pups Jake an Oscar♡

Thanks

The names for the 6 dogs that proudly own me.:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Sassy - She came with her name.

GOOSEMan - His bark sounds like a goose honking.

Elsa - She is a regal looking standard wire and I wanted a name to match.

Trey - She is a ''tripod" (missing left reat leg).

Wetley - My brothers nickname and it sounded cute (& appropriate) for a new puppy.

Phoenix - From the story of the bird rising from the fire. He was down but can now walk.

With my foster dogs if I need to name them it is usually a name that I can associate with how I obtained them or there story in life, a few examples.

Duckie - I got him at Easter.

SpeedRacer - Terror in a cart.

Luke - Came with his name

Owen - came with his name

Wicky - Found by a rescure of the last name of Wickman.

Freddy - Came from the Fredericksburg SPCA
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

Otto: He came to me with the name 'coca' and quite frankly, for a boy that just didn't cut it with me. I had a neighbor back home in Iowa; a typical German dude, and his name was Otto. That's how Otto became Otto.

Dolly came with the name, and she had big nipples like Dolly Parton (she'd just had puppies) She tilted her head eversocute when I said it so I couldn't change it.

Buddy came with the name, and it fits him so well. Buddybuddybuddeee.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt was a pound find, no name stray. My sister used to call me Gertrude when I was little and I thought it sounded German enough to go with Otto. It got changed to Grrrrrrrrrrrrt when she proved herself to be such a bitter little creature, and always making that noise. I just adore saying her name.

Austin got his name online...someone suggested it and I almost named him Luther, but it didn't fit right. Austin is shaggy baby, yeah! He was always trying to hump Dolly (she POWNED him and put a stop to that)

Darwin got his name from his supposed dachshund origins. He clearly evolved into something other than a dachshund so he's named for Charles Darwin, the founder of the theory of evolution.

And Pearl came with the name, as she was rescued from the Pearl River here in Mississippi.

and RIP Izzy Wartzburg came with the name Izzy from the pound, and he was so old I just didn't have the heart to change it. Wartzburg came from the many many warts all over his little body. I sure did love that little guy:hearts:

Thanks

Mr. Butters Von Wienerhausen is named after Butters on South Park- the sweet, innocent little guy who gets taken advantage of in a lot of episodes. We didn't know he'd be so darn smart when we got him- he's more manipulative than Butters- perhaps Cartman would have been a better name, given his girth, but he's not mean-spirited like Cartman, either. "mr." came into play when we realized how darn bossy he is. "Von wienerhausen" was something Paul would call him, to make him sound more German.

Miss Eleanor Rigby Von Wienerhausen was named after the Beatles song "Eleanor Rigby". We wanted to stick with the pop culture theme with naming our second dog and when we said, "Rigby" she got all goofy, like she loved it. (We also tried "Angie" from the Rolling Stones and a few other song names, but she loved Rigby.)

If we get a third dog someday (far far away) I would like to choose a movie name, so we have television, music, and movies covered.
    Tracy, Mr. Butters, Rigby, Ariana Marie & Isabella Charlotte

Thanks

Well, when I first spotted Bailey, I was instantly reminded of Bailey's Irish Cream. Before we brought him home, I searched online because I wanted a German name, but I kept going back to Bailey. When we are out, after people comment to me about how he "has the coloring of a weim" and they ask his name and I say "Bailey," most of them go, oh yeah, he is the color of Bailey's Irish Cream. :duh:

Then when we got Reese, he was named Bruiser. I thought the name was cute because it's so obviously a sarcastic name. I tried to convince the H that we should have a German name, he said no. Then we thought about playing around with matching names, like Beetle, for Beetle Bailey or Rigley or Barnum for Ringling Bros Barnum and Bailey Circus. But I didn't like either of those, so I went back to a food/drink theme. Chocolate is one of my all time favorite foods, and because Reese's tan points are so prominent, I thought of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. And so there we have it. I really tried to keep Brusier, because I was concerned about changing his name and him being confused, but he took to Reese right away.

I also used to have a cat that was named Kahlua. I used to be a huge fan of mudslides.
    Jill - Proud Hoomom to Bailey and Reese! :hearts:

Check us out on DOGS 101!
    Just click DACHSHUND

Member of Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue
    www.c2cdr.org

Thanks

I got Julie on Valentine's Day, as a Valentines/birthday present. She is named after Juliette from "Romeo & Juliette".

Jax's name was Winston. We needed a "J" sounding name to go with Georgann, John, and Julie. We thought about Jack, and my mom actually suggested Jax.

Of course, we call Julie "mama" (don't know why ) and Jax "bubby" (like bubba but...not). I'm surprised they know their real names!
    Tex, loyal servant to...

-----Julie----&------Jax------

Jen Guest

Tasha came with her name, we considered changing it, but with all of her other issues, we thought we should keep THAT consistent.