When I lived in Leesville, I had the best vet in the world. We moved about an hour, 15 minutes south of Leesville,so I had to find another vet.

I thought I'd found a great vet, but now I'm not so sure. The new vet and staff talks to me as though I'm an idiot and as though I have NO experience with dogs, much less dog health. I think I've seen just about everything, and thanks to my old vet, I've learned a heck of alot.

I started fostering Oscar about a month and a half ago. He is 1-2 years old, healthy and energetic. He is moderately HW pos- not high antigen, but not low antigen either.

Our vet in Baton Rouge (where he came from) has a new protocol on HW treatment that is safer for the dogs and turns out to be less expensive. Instead of 3 shots, they get 30 days of doxycyclin, then get their 2-series of treatment back to back, as normal 30 days later. After their back to back, 30 days later, they get an oral dose. The doxy begins killing off the baby worms and keeps infection risk to a minimum. Basically, this takes the place of the first shot.

Before I got Oscar, I talked to my new vet and told him about the protocol in BR, and would he be willing to go along with that? He said yes- no problem.

So, after the 30 days of doxy, I made the appointment to get his 2-series shots. I brought him in, and asked him what time he should be back in tomorrow. He said, no, bring him back in 30 days for his 2 back to back shots.

I sat there like :confused:

I explained to him again about the doxy and what we'd spoken about 1 month prior. He said he didn't want to do that, b/c it wasn't 'safe.' I called the vet in BR and told them what he said, and he was a bit confused by his unwillingness to do it. It really is safer for the dog, and there is so much research out there that proves it.

It is a proven method and it causes less trauma for the dog, and does not load them up with more meds than necessary. I explained that to my new doctor. He finally said "if you really want to do it, I will, but I don't recommend it."

After speaking to several knowledgeable people, I decided to go ahead and go with the new protocol. I called and told them I'd bring Oscar in the next morning to get his second shot, so he could get his oral 30 days later. They said "well you have to be in at 930." I told them I had to be at work at 10, but I could drop him off and Miguel could pick him up at 3 when he got off work. They said "no, we don't want to keep him that long, b/c he is too nervous(:confused: ) and it might trigger an anxiety attack for him. They were clearly stalling so I'd have to wait another 30 days to bring him in.

I went ahead and made an appointment 30 days later (since I obviously wasn't going to get what I wanted) which is 9 Feb. They JUST called me and said "Bring Oscar in on the 8th, so he can stay over night for his second shot." I said "wait- you wouldn't keep him 5 hours b/c he was 'too exciteable', but you'll keep him 24 hours for his second shot????"

Thanks but no thanks. I had asked how much the treatment was going to be, and they said roughly 100.00 per shot, plus the oral - 50.00. Ah ha! There it is. They'd be loosing out on an extra 100.00 if we went the "new" route. I made an appointment with my other vet in Leesville to have it finished. I just don't trust these new guys.

Sorry for my rambling. I've just had enough with these guys. This is only one issue I've had with them in a long line of issues. This one just chaps me more...