Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question What else slims down doxies?

My mom's doxie Kacie is getting to be a little "over-loved". My mom tried mixing in greenbeans (I told her how well it worked for Julie), but Kacie refused to eat them. She actually picked them out of the bowl. Is there something else that mom could use that would help fill Kacie's tummy, but not add calories or fat? I already have mom cutting back on the treats .
    Tex, loyal servant to...

-----Julie----&------Jax------

Thanks

carrots?? Duchie likes the toothpick kind...
    they are kind of sweet.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

Laika picks them out too but I noticed recently when I put some in by accident that she ate them. So I've been putting some in and now she eats them (Owen and Salsa love them..in fact lil bugdog Salsa likes them better than dog food) Maybe if Kacie gets used to them she will eat them...also if your mom would feed her less, her hunger would push her to eat them... I'm just thinking she's not going to be wanting to eat ANY veggies if she's like Laika (she's a meat/cheese sorta dog, but those aren't low cal),
    I'd cut back her food and add the beans for a few days and see if she eats them. HOw much is she feeding her? Mine get 1/4 cup of food twice a day...the beans are just to make it seem like more.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

How about mixing in 5 healthy, hyper terrier puppies?? Let me tell you my crew are getting a work out by playing with those pups.

How about trying some low fat yogurt? Plain of course. Mine love it. Or how about heating the green beans up a tad to make them more tasty for her.
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

Thanks

Cut down on the amount of food and up the exercise.
    Carrots cooked "al dente" are good, but remember not too many b/c of sugar content.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Jen Guest

I alternate green beans with broccoli for Tasha. And she also loves pumpkin. But cutting the kibble is key. And lots more exercise if possible.

Its funny, Tasha has stopped doing zoomies in the park--we think its cause instead of a once or twice a week treat, she's in a park twice a day and just doesn't have that extra energy. This week she's been getting a 30 min walk in the am and a 60 min walk once we're home from work. Plus another 15 before bed. Of course, Kacie may have to slowly work up to long walks if she's not been getting enough regular exercise.

Thanks

I've heard that broccoli isn't the best idea - gassy. I do give cauliflower quite often however - even if it's pricey, because that's a good filler and my two love it. Some eat squash, sweet potato, (my two love lettuce!) - just experiment with some veggies and see what they'll eat. And there's always good old pumpkin, of course.

Jen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LexieLuvr
    I've heard that broccoli isn't the best idea - gassy.
    I guess beans might be too. :D But honestly, she doesn't seem any more gassy on broccoli night. She likes cauliflower too. But I know each dog is different on what they (and the humans they're snuggling up with) can tolerate!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 699 Posts

If she's not eating the green beans and picking them out, my gut feeling is that she's getting too much to eat. I'd cut back on the kibble and get her moving!

Puppies do work, Shonda. Miller has no weight problem since the energetic Scooter came to live with us! :banana: :hearts: :banana:
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

If your mom replaced part of the kibbles with greenbean, she will eventually have to eat it, right? Otherwise she would go hungry. What works for Miss Gigi is I just stop giving her treats. Or you can take out the treats from her daily kibbles.
    Jen & Gigi