Thanks

Default Have you ever put 7 doxies in a hallway??

Central Texas had some pretty nasty weather go through today, severe thunderstorms, bad flooding, and ominous rotations that made the tornado sirens go off twice.

I was heading home from work when I found out about it, so I drove to my apartment as fast as I could (was NO ONE ELSE in Waco worried about this???), threw valuables inside a closet under a blanket, grabbed Bailey, got the heck out of dodge and headed to Rena's.

As soon as I walked in the door, the sirens went off. I turned on the TV and saw the actual rotation was about 20-30 minutes away, but I still panicked a bit. (I don't do well with tornadoes...not.at.all.) I waited it out for a bit, but the second time the sirens went off that was it. The rotations were a bit closer and I wasn't taking chances.

Rena has a nice little interior hallway where you can shut yourself in completely and she said to take the dogs there if it got bad (she was gone at an agility trial). Doesn't seem hard, huh? Right.

Picture this. 7 dogs. (5 of them only know you as the person who comes by every now and again to feed them and steal their mom away.)

The make up is as follows: 1 spastic Bailey, 1 foster that doesn't know her name, 2 dogs hiding under the couch, 1 senior on kidney meds who doesn't really want to move, 1 who will come sometimes, but is generally weary of people, and 1 more really ditzy male.

You stand in the hallway calling out, "Puppies! Come on! Come here! Now! No, don't go out the doggie door! Come here, NOW! Tess, Kibby, WillEm, Goldie, Flower, Bailey, Judy...NOW!! Come here!!!"

Some of them come right away but go straight to the bedroom with the picture window whose door you forgot to shut. Won't come off the bed. You shut them in there because...well, just because. They claw at the door, you open it. Good, dogs in hallway. Those in the hallway are now acting like pinballs bouncing off the walls because its a small hallway. You're sure one of them gave themselves a concussion on a door. Stupid dog. Some stay under the couch hiding because that's just what they do. Great. Some stand at the doorway with the gate like morons because that's cool. Some pee on the carpet.

You go running to the kitchen to grab treats thinking bribery will work. WRONG. Now you have 5 doxies trying to eat your fingers and 2 still under the couch. After almost losing a finger or two you give up, shut the door, yelling, "FINE, stay under the couch, if the tornado sucks you away, I won't feel sorry for you!!!" at the 2 that are now clawing at the door but who run away when you crack it open. Ugh.

You then sit down in the hallway from exhaustion...IN THE PEE. Oy.

As soon as you are all safe, the sirens go off. Threat passes within 5 minutes. Rain stops completely. Of course. Because if there had been a tornado, I would have been sucked away while trying to feed treats to the couch dwellers. Awesome.

Next time, they stay in the living room and I go in the hallway by myself. Well, maybe with the senior with the kidney issues, she's cute.

I'm exhausted.

Did I mention there's another line of storms coming? :faint:
    Last edited by Linus; 03-30-2007 at 11:50 PM.
    Linsey, Bailey, and Piper

Thanks

hahahahaha!!!! Nice!!! I didn't know Rena has Judy. Her house sounds a little insane. Hopefully dogsitting for me will be easier! ;)

Um it's been pouring here nonstop. And Adam locked us out of our garage by shutting both openers in it. Please don't ask. We were supposed to go see a movie. Bought the tickets in advance and everything. Nope. I wanted to kill him. Now he is standing out there in the pouring rain while some emergency repair dude drills a hole in our garage door. That's kind of amusing, at least.

Thanks

Oh, just the thought of a tornado!!! Never been through one, or ever had one come close to me ( just have nightmares about them). You did awesome, and can't imagine trying to round up all those lil babes, so you could protect them. Way to Go, Lins! So Glad you all are safe, and that nothing bad happened!!:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: to you and the pupperz!
    Willie and Clover!!! Ozzie

Thanks

That sounds like one crazy afternoon! It poured all day yesterday here too. I was baby sitting (3 kids, 3 doxies)....watching the radar and began to think of where we should go in the house if we thought a tornado was coming. They have a half-bath under the staircase that is directly in the middle of the house. But can you picture 4 humans and 3 doxies in a tiny little half bathroom....did I mention one of the kids is 12 and taller than I am? Atleast I didn't sit in any pee......
    Tex, loyal servant to...

-----Julie----&------Jax------

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Sorry but I had to laugh. That sounds strangely like something that would happen to me. I panic at torandoes and hurricanes, too. Before Rita was supposed to hit, I was a basket case! :krazy: I had 3 crate to hold the (then) 6 dogs in a small hallway off our bedroom which left almost no room for Jim and I and had no idea how long we'd have to be there. It probably would have been a lot like your story! :lol:

I"m glad you're safe. Hopefully, the storms are done for now.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

That's just typical of what we get for trying to be safe.

I'm thinking of putting dachshunds in the washing machine and dryer because whenever you see the wreckage, that's all that's left standing.
    (not really...then again, if I weren't at work right now, I'd take photos of them in there for effect:duh: )

Buddy already heads for the bathtub during ANY inclement weather so I'd be set there, and all I have to do is go in the bathroom and pull my pants down to pee and I've got an entourage of Dexter, Darwin, Otto and Austin. The only ones I'd have to pester is Pearl and Grrrrt and just call Dolly. That'd be one packed bathroom...the cats would have to be on thier own in a tornado unless I had the time to pack them in carriers, which I can do in 10 minutes.

Thanks

this story is really funny (when you're not going through it, of course). We'd probably all 4 have to go sit in my closet since it's in the middle of the house with no windows. I miss my basement :(
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel