Thread: Nail Biter?

Thanks

Default Nail Biter?

Okay, Coop seems to love to bite/chew on his nails. Not all the time but when he's relaxing on your lap he just decides to chew on a nail. Any other puppers out there that do this? He doesn't hurt himself and his nails look just fine. Is this just one of his endless quirks?? And yes, he does look funny when he does it. He's a constant source of amusement not only to his hoo-parents but his sissy too. :duh:
    Kelli (Hoomom to Bella & Cooper)

1199 N. Terry Street, #344, Eugene, Oregon 97402
    Thanks

All my pups do this as well, especially otto. He chews them to nasty little points that snag my clothes. I just have to trim them down when he does this. Doesn't seem to hurt him any - just me when I'm bare legged.
    Oscar 05/01/2000 - 12/05/12
    Otto 02/29/2000 - 05/12/2010
    Rikka 07/11/2004 - 06/18/2013
    Axel 03/31/2009
    Diablo RIP Evil Kitty
    Rudi 11/06/2017

Thanks

Angel does this. I really wish she wouldn't because it makes her nails very sharp and she has a tendency to use them to grip things (such as people's arms and legs *ouch* ).

Keeping them routinely trimmed may help (something we are not very vigilant about). I think some dogs also have allergies and their paws are itchy, so they will chew the paws and nails...
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

I've been wondering how " the Pooper" has been. ( gosh I hope that doesn't piss you off that I'm still calling him the pooper????) Maybe he just has a lil hangnail . My weens don't do it, but momma's little bichon, did. Give Coop and Bella kissies and:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: from me, and have them give it back to you from me!!!
    Willie and Clover!!! Ozzie

Thanks

I've never had a dog that chewed their own nails. Perhaps it's a "bad habit" and you could try diverting his attention to something else.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Keeping them cut every couple of weeks and grind them smooth will help the nail chewer. My Mom's doxie bites her's too so I go over and cut them for her.
    Whitney & her Mom, Karen

Thanks

CRicket did this a few years ago, but his was from his food. This reminds me though that I've got to get his nails trimmed!
    Hoomom to Cricket ~ Red Smooth 'tweenie'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Maxe used to do that when she was in a contemplative mood! No reason, really, since her nails were kept well trimmed, and she had no allergies or anything...seemed to be a nervous habit more than anything! Alex doesn't chew her nails, just licks them (driving her mom crazy) Frankly, I'd prefer her chewing
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."