Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks

A year of HW prevention at our vet is $56.
    The annual exam and shots and fecal is $75.
    Heartworm test is $25.

That's just the very basic, per dog. Every time they go to the vet for something else, like if they are sick, seems like it's at least $100. If they would need dentals that would cost upwards of $300 each. I also don't buy conventional flea/tick prevention.

I have no idea how much I spend on food! But it isn't much per dog. For 6 dogs I probably spend $50-$75 a month.

And then there are the extras! I buy a lot of little things - cookies, toys, Nature's Miracle, etc. Probably $50-$150 per month!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catstamm
    My vet will throw in a free nail trim, anal and ear cleaning if the dog is under anesthesia......other wise those 3 things are about 55.00 bucks!!!
    wow. I did get free nail trim when Salsa was under....but I always get Laika's done when she goes in for ANYTHING...at most it is 6 dollars. Her ears always get done too as they are problematic and that is just part of the visit. Cleaner or meds for the ears is extra though of course.
    My vet and I have a good relationship so I might get a deal sometimes...she recently opened her own practice and I send a lot of people to her cuz I really like her and think she is good. She appreciates that
    She is the one who always came to the house to do Scouty's hooves when he was alive...she also came to our house when we decided to have old dog PTS. We really like her. Laika loves her so much she pees when she sees her.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

It can be cheap or expensive here. It depends on where you are and what vet you go to. My vet is kind of expensive, but then she's also an :angel7: I think she's a miracle worker. She brought my friends schnauzer back from bad bouts of pancreatitis that other vets couldn't seem to do anything about. But on the other hand, I don't do vaccinations (except rabies every 3 years) so I don't have to pay for that. The supplements cost a lot, but then my dogs don't seem to get many diseases either so I think that over the life of the dog, it's probably cheaper. It pretty much depends on what vet you go to. I can't do a wellness plan like Tex because they don't cover my vet and holistic veternary.

There are several clinics here in Houston that provide low cost general veterinary work that are really pretty good. That makes it much more affordable to people. SNAP used to have a clinic in LA, but unfortunately the employment laws in CA made it so hard to operate that they closed it down. Also
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

To be honest, I'm afraid to add it up! It's been so long since I've had a routine visit I don't know how much basic stuff costs...but Alex and her meds, food and chiro cost me about $500/month. She doesn't get vaccinations except for rabies every 3 years (that's the law here, but there isn't really any canine rabies in NS yet. Nor is heartworm a big problem here.) So about $6000 / year (see? I said I was afraid to add it up ). I seem to remember with Maxe, who apart from her back was a disgustingly healthy little dog, it was about $300/yr, but then she's been gone now for 8 years, so no doubt prices have gone up. Frankly, I just keep a running tab at my vets and go in and put $$$ on my bill whenever I can. Don't remember what a $0 balance feels like!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

I hear ya Patrice...I have 2 general vets and a neuro (if needed)....and I couldn't tell you how many vets I went through to find them
    All of them are on the expensive side but they are all :angel7: that I
    TRUST...WHICH IS PRICELESS! I just thought of something else...they are ALL WOMEN :duh:

Thanks

Yeah, a good vet is worth her weight in gold! My vet is a woman also. I"ve been going to her for 18 years now and trust her absolutely. The peace of mind I have is worth every penny I pay.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lotsadox
    Yeah, a good vet is worth her weight in gold! My vet is a woman also. I"ve been going to her for 18 years now and trust her absolutely. The peace of mind I have is worth every penny I pay.
    BIG HUGE There is nothing like having a vet you trust (mine is a woman also!) My horse vet lives 2 hours from here, but is the best one I've ever had, and worth every single penny in mileage charges.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Hey Cat, I'm curious what other answers you have received from other people/places.....care to give us some examples???
    (I always get a kick out of the people who think they can care for a dog for oh, about $50-$100 A YEAR!!!!)
    Tex, loyal servant to...

-----Julie----&------Jax------

Thanks

Well on and app...people just give a dollar amount, not and explaination. When people answer 100 bucks ...that tells me they have NEVER been to a vet! and it's pretty scary when they currently own 2 other animals.
    I'm just wondering if the question is too vague and that's why we get low estimates????
    But them I did just have a woman who answered $1,500.00 per year and when I called her vet the vet said he saw her in 2001 for a spay and 2003 for an ear infection. Hasn't seem her since 03 and she has a 12 yr old doxie???
    Wonder what she meant since she hasn't spent a dime on a vet in 4 yrs!!!!

Thanks

Maybe you should give examples of what to include. Like say for vet bills, food, toys, treats, general care, grooming? They may think that you mean just for vet bills, although even that would be over $100.00.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue