Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ft. Myers, Fl Home to hurricanes,..storms, not the teams
    Thanks

While it is true that turkey vultures prefer dead bodies, if it has been a tough year, and food is scarce, black vultures will go after live prey. Farmers and ranchers don't like them because they have gone after small calves.

I like vultures; think they are just beautiful to watch in flight. They are cousins of eagles....and fly more gracefully. HOWEVER....they have on occassion come a tad too close for comfort, and been warned off. We also have resident hawks in the area that come by our yard for a meal. We have numerous birds that come to eat at our feeders.

So...the girls do not go out unattended. Some vultures scared Taffy not too long ago, so she keeps an eye out for them, and makes tracks to daddy's lap if she sees them overhead.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqueline
    While it is true that turkey vultures prefer dead bodies, if it has been a tough year, and food is scarce, black vultures will go after live prey. Farmers and ranchers don't like them because they have gone after small calves.

I like vultures; think they are just beautiful to watch in flight. They are cousins of eagles....and fly more gracefully. HOWEVER....they have on occassion come a tad too close for comfort, and been warned off. We also have resident hawks in the area that come by our yard for a meal. We have numerous birds that come to eat at our feeders.

So...the girls do not go out unattended. Some vultures scared Taffy not too long ago, so she keeps an eye out for them, and makes tracks to daddy's lap if she sees them overhead.
    We have SO much road kill here I guess it's never gonna be a bad year for vultures in our area. But we don't have as many as in Florida....I never saw so many vultures in my life as I have seen there! But I've only been there in the winter...maybe they thin out when some go back up north for the summer??? We only have turkey vultures..the black vultures don't come up here for some reason. This past winter in Florida, we were at a park in Mt Dora at sunset and vultures were coming in to roost for the night I guess. Literally hundreds of them..never saw anything like it. They are such awesome flyers....they were coming in without even flapping their wings...just getting closer and closer and slower and slower with those giant wings until they could grab a branch. It was so cool. Here you only see a couple at a time during the summer...once in awhile if there is a dead dear you'll see 3-4 there together but that's it.
    Speaking of birds at the feeders...this is what was at my feeders the other day.... cracked me up cuz i was watching some woodpeckers and doves thinking how pretty...then there's THIS! Kinda suprised me...

Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

hi puppin i sent you a private e mail because i do not know how to use this form corectly. our e mail is dachie@brucetelecom.com. i would be happy to send pics and i would like to see pics of yours, they do look like they could be brother and sister, cathy

Thanks

LOL a turkey, she is prettty girl too!
    To funny, On Police Wildest Videos there was a cop that was chased by a big ol' wild Tom and got trapped in his car, then the story went on that weeks Later he made another stop in a different area and here come what is believed to be the same big ol' Tom again and it trapped him Again this time the Tom got on his hood LOL The cop had to "call for back up" on the police radio you could hear everyone in disbatch that could see the dash video feedback laughing, and the perp he had pulled over...was taking Pictures out their window!!! It was hillarious!
    I'm pretty sure the birds perching across the street are vultures though, they ignore us, it's the hawks we have to watch out for though.
    PUPPEN DEWEY

Thanks

That's hilarious. The tom turkeys are HUGE though!!! It's so funny it "targeted" a police officer! We mostly just see the girls although there were 3 toms in the side yard by the river once, facing off, getting all big and puffy and kinda dancing around...some sort of turkey event going on I guess.
    I compulsively check the sky and trees when I let the dogs out! I'm more scared at night with Salsa cuz of the owls...so she never goes out without me at night.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

Ohhhhhhhh yeah, have to watch out for those darn owls too, and they CAN carry off a small dog No Problem! :scared1: Last summer we had a downed bat in our yard, Puppen was barely a year old and was going Nuts "poking" it with her nose, I was so scared she was going to get bitten by it, I wasn't sure What to do so I got out the leather gloves and scooped it up and put it in a box and took it a couple miles out of town to a pond with lots of trees and such. When I took it out of the box and was going to put it on the ground in some under brush it suddenly took off and I shrieked like a little girl with a lizzard down her back At least I know that Nothing is going to be in the yard without me knowing about it. What I worry about most though are snakes. Rattle snakes are common here but not so much in town, but there are at least one or two we hear about each year. Yikes!!
    PUPPEN DEWEY