Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Emmy Lou - Paralysis

Well, it came to pass....Our Emmy Lou had sudden paralysis occur just yesterday. We took her to her Dr and she has a ruptured disc. :(

We aren't sure What, if anything particular, caused her present demise other than Saturday she appeared to be fine and the next day she was dragging, Of course this Had to happen on a Sunday and we live in a small town with her vet 40 miles away. Sheesh Talk about getting the Whammy!

Anyway, we took her to her Dr he said that the damage is a done deal and at this point there is nothing that can be done and that at this point the soonest we get her on wheels the better she will be. We have already taken the proper measurements and ordered her some wheels and bought some diapers which I modified for her right away. We hope that she will be able to not wear one in the future, but at the moment that doesn't seem very possible.

She has long hair and I've been trying to decide if we should take her to the groomer and have her behind shaved to help keep the messiness at a minimal?? Yes / No???

Another thing, I'm just not 100% sure I believe it when the Dr said that picking her up to go outside and giving her a bath etc...would Not do any more damage at THIS point.
    Then he went on to say that since no more damage can be done there is nothing else to do but give her the meds for the alotted time (Robaxin 1/2 tablet 2 times a day), use diapers, wheels and bathing. Should I use some kind of oil or something to help with drying out her skin etc??? :confused: I've never dealt with a disabled furbaby before but I think I am not only holding up well, but doing all the RIGHT things. She did eat some raw chicken (YES I have gone Completely Raw, forget the food companies!!) and some 100% pumpkin as well. Drinking water regularly on her own, she recieved a cortizone shot, the Robaxin starter pill and a stool softener, he did send those home with me to but told me to only give if she Needs them.
    OK...Any one have any advise? suggestions? Things I should know that I don't Know?? :confused:
    Thanks everyone, I am still SO Grateful to have found ya'll. :gphug1:
    PUPPEN DEWEY

Thanks

Sorry to hear this. Surgery is not an option?
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

First of all, I'm so sorry that Emmy Lou is paralyzed. I've been through that twice and it's so difficult. for you.

Amanda couldn't walk in the last days of her life and had to be diapered. She was a L/H mix and it was very hard. I would suggest taking her to a groomer and getting her shaved just to make it easy on yourself. It's very hard to keep them clean with a lot of hair. Amanda was so old and got so stressed that I didn't clip her and had to put her in the bathtub and wash her every afternoon when I got home. Also, the Nature's Miracle wipes are a life saver. I used them to clean her after I changed the diaper.

I didn't have any trouble with diaper rash or dry skin with her. If you do, there are special dog lotions that would probably help. I used towels for her bedding because they were easy to wash. Also, the blue painters tape works well for holding the diapers on. It's easy take off, but sticks enough to hold when you need it to.

There's a lady on eBay that makes cloth diaper that you can buy and then just put a minipad in it. I got some that I use on Sweetums and they work pretty well. She sells them for 9.99, I think, which is considerably cheaper than the ones you buy at Petsmart. Sweetums likes the ones the lady makes better, too. I think it's because they're softer and don't have the plastic in them so they're more comfortable.

It will be hard at first but once you get used to it, taking care of an incontinent dog isn't that bad. Again, to you for being such a good dachsie momma and taking care of her when she really needs you. You're an :angel7:
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I am so sorry for what happened.

Like Patrice said, she is lucky to have a good doxie momma who knows that incontinence is not the end of her life.

Would hydrotherapy or acupuncture help even a teensy bit or is it way beyond that?

Thanks

I'm so sorry to hear about Emmy Lou...
    You are a wonderful mom and she is a lucky girl.
    There are many things you can do so don't count her down and out....
    Patrice has great info and I'm sure Yolanda has more...YO!!!!
    Have you joined dodgerslist? Great support system and advice...
    You and Emmy are in my thoughts and prayers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catstamm
    I'm so sorry to hear about Emmy Lou...
    You are a wonderful mom and she is a lucky girl.
    There are many things you can do so don't count her down and out....
    Patrice has great info and I'm sure Yolanda has more...YO!!!!
    Have you joined dodgerslist? Great support system and advice...
    You and Emmy are in my thoughts and prayers

Beat me to it, Cat. www.dodgerslist.com

Hope Emmy improves and feels better, soon.
    Save the earth. It's the only planet with dachshunds...
    Susie:duh: , Sam and Issy

Thanks

Thank you so much for the adivice and kind words, I appreciate it a lot! I worry SO much that I'm going to check on her and she is going to be gone. :pray: But he kept assuring me that I need not worry just take care of her properly. Believe me I WILL!! (I reas the "expressing" thread and I think I will let the groomer or Dr handle that one... )

Nope, surgery isn't a option, wasn't even suggested, he flat out said,
    "I won't waste our time or your money, this is what you need to do..." and I already typed what he had to say ....so, there it is.

Hehehe I JUST joined dodgerslist before I replied here... Thank You!
    PUPPEN DEWEY

Thanks

Honey you will need to learn to express her because she will need it several times a day...unless you are going to live at the vets office?
    She will get a UTI if she isn't expressed every few hrs....
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! WE CAN DO ANYTHING THAT WE HAVE TO TO HELP OUR PUPPER....don't be scared....you will do great!!!!!!!

Thanks

I'm so sorry to hear about Emmy Lou. You are a devoted doggie mom so I'm sure you will to a fantastic job caring for her.
    The Dodgerslist is the best place to find everything you always wanted to know about downed puppers.
    Wishing you and Emmy the very best. Please keep us updated when you can.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Did he not suggest crate rest for 6 weeks? Did he know a lot about doxies and IVDD? Sometimes with crate rest, medicine they do get better--I think I would get a 2nd opinion.
    Mom to Gunner and Petunia.
    Always in out hearts--Sir Cedric Waggles-bassett hound