Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default "Unbearable Lightness of Peeing"

I am trying a new baby-gating area. There was a royal hissy fit for the first 10 minutes, but I think both are snoozing now.

DH left for work, and a Phantom Pooper left a gift in less than two minutes. Both had just been outside. I think it was Marta, DH thinks it was Pokey.

Then DH stopped by for lunch. After he left, Marta softly whined then PEED without any of her usual warnings right on the carpet. Can I mention pee pads were in the guest bath all day? Grrr. Ack. Groar.

Both are showing huge SA setbacks from being in cage-free boarding over the weekend, but this is the worst.

I baby-gated the upstairs bathroom, put down three pee pads, a cushy area rug, two beds, three blankets, a bowl of water, a kong filled with rice, lifted the trash up, turned the TV on and put in the puppers.

This was my first gating choice, but I avoided it because it is next to the door and a lot of outside noise.

Pokey whined and pawed the gate for 10 minutes (ignored), and is sleeping now. :boogie: Marta has settled down, but I can't see her from here.

All of the cage-free daycares out here just let the dogs poop & pee anywhere. Pokey never ever had accidents at home, but is starting to have some here. Hard to say if it is cognitive dysfunction. Marta never had accidents in our home, has had some at others' homes and has been having a few here. Hers are SA related.

I took pictures of their new limitations. They can't be in there all day. I'm thinking of training them to be in that area for when I leave. Should I not leave pee pads if I'm only going to be gone for 2 hours?

They both have been to the vet this week for stress tummies. I don't think Marta has a UTI...

I just can't believe they are both having so many problems.
    Adopt a Senior!

-Renée and Pokey (1992-2008)

Thanks

Default Note:

Just a note: Both never use pee-pads and are housebroken to go outside.

I put the pee pads out when Pokey had diarrhea. He used them once in an emergency.
    Adopt a Senior!

Thanks

Stress can cause many problems and forgetting house training would be top of the list. Possibly a smaller area would be the best for both, getting them use to it first. If you are only going to leave for a few hours, I would walk them giving them a chance to do their business and tire them out. That would be debateable on whether to leave pads out or not.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patt
    Stress can cause many problems and forgetting house training would be top of the list. Possibly a smaller area would be the best for both, getting them use to it first. If you are only going to leave for a few hours, I would walk them giving them a chance to do their business and tire them out. That would be debateable on whether to leave pads out or not.
    They get walked a lot and do all of their "business" on regular schedule (-more frequently as needed.) Marta was sleeping on the pee-pads.

This option is just creating more stress. Maybe we can just shell out a ton of change to have Marta in "playcare" all day and spend 2+ hours in traffic just getting there and back.

I will put them back in their primary environment, baby gated in a small area of the living room.

So much for me having a life or a job/income. I am not happy. Nothing is working with Marta. She is causing Pokey to stress out more.

I swear I'm living on the Hellmouth!
    Adopt a Senior!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pokeys Mom
    I am not happy. Nothing is working with Marta. She is causing Pokey to stress out more. !
    Suggest a call to The Dog Whisperer.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patt
    Suggest a call to The Dog Whisperer.
    I know. He is nearby, but is traveling often. He is holding a general event in February.

I've calmed down a bit. She's a special needs whippet and has had severe SA since day one. If she is around men in the day, she is better. Marta always went to work with her daddie or stayed in her hoodad's home office.

Marta will injure herself when boarded cage-free or kenneled. (Usually a bloody snout or paw.)

I can tire her out with 2-hour trips to the dog park and long walks, but she will lie on her side exhausted but still howling once a minute. After three months of work she has stopped this behavior.

She was happy as a clam at our house, without medication. Here she is a battle against nature and she's on the highest dose of medication. Our vet does not advise switching medications. We have a number of a good trainer from our vet. I'm putting DH in charge of that.

Thanks. I'm used to small steps back every now and then, but not huge ones that snowball. I did post in frustration. Thanks for letting me vent!
    Adopt a Senior!

Thanks

Renee, I am so sorry I hope I didn't offend you, perhaps you could get on his list (if he has one). I feel your pain and just don't know what to do about it. I think you have done one heck of a job with Pokey and Marta but I guess sometimes they slip back for some reason. Please feel free to vent anytime.

I wish I was closer to L.A. I would love to be able to see Cesar Millan. BTW his new show has started, it is on Friday nights and this coming Friday he will have two Dachshunds for his subjects.

Thanks

Patt- you didn't offend me! I just can't believe the day I had with her, and it was just a half-day.

Rae knows the details inside & out. She was right on the money when she offered the best case solution: moving. Other than that, all I can do is rant, rave, vent and goar. Oh, I can say ack, grrrrr and ick too. :D

Miss Doxie by Proxy Marta has come a long way. To be fair, she can now be left alone for a couple of hours and is usually lounging in her bed. That's a HUGE accomplishment!

But to have her start doing her business inside just because DH left (calmly), is downright maddening. :pout:

This move is just plain old tough. Sure the weather is great, but I have to start my career from scratch (-can I add that it's half the pay of what I used to make), adjust to heavy populations, LA traffic and deal with dog trauma. It gets exhausting. Sure, my puppers don't bark or react to most strange noises: powertools, hammering, footsteps, other dogs barking, voices, etc. but it just feels like it's one tall order after another.

Deep breath, sigh, OK- better!! :boogie:

Oh, for mood insurance:

:BanadaJgi :skiB: :BanadaJgi
    Adopt a Senior!

Thanks

I didn't know moving was an option. :confused: Perhaps that would solve a lot of problems.

Thanks

Yep- Renee has set up a fund for the new house called the "Miss Marta HissyFit House Fund" and anyone who wants to contribute can....send it to me?

Poor ~~~Renee~~~ - I am so sorry... you have to come to a decision, and it is going to be tough. However, you have been living your life carrying Miss HissyFit around on a little pink pillow (OK a big one, but you know what I mean) for MONTHS... you have done everything everything everything and then some.

I know she was fine at the old house- maybe you can find something similar?

You stubborn woman when are you going to say UNCLE??? This is preventing you from having a job, a social life, and I don't even want to guess what else ( :evilgrin: )

SA issues and barking dogs and unhappy pupper is all you can think about any more. You are losing yourself in Dog Hell. And you know she has to be miserable too, and she is unwittingly making :hearts: Sir Pokey's :hearts: golden years a living hell.

What does DH say about the idea of moving? Is it even still on the table? I know he is a good doobie and KNOWS how important the dogs are to you and of course he loves them too... and Marta is partial to her hoodaddy.... He can't possibly take her to work every day, right?

Something's gotta give and I am afraid DH is going to log on one day and say he found you with a bottle of wine to your head, naked and rocking in the corner.

What can we do to help you? :hearts: :loveu:
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner