Thanks

Default Babysitting a dachsie for a few weeks - need advice

Over Christmas and New Years we'll be babysitting our friends' new dachsie rescue, Iceman. I've met him and he's just a love. He's at least 5 years old, and a perfect gentleman. We're having Snooter and the Prof meet him at a local park on Saturday - and plan on having a few meetups prior to him coming to stay for 2 weeks. Do you think prior meetings will help all the dogs when Iceman arrives? How can I make Iceman feel comfortable and at home? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Karen - Proud Hoomom to Bella "Snooter" Boo & The Professor Buster Brown

Thanks

Oh, that's exciting! I want to babysit and have three for a bit! What does he look like? I can't wait for pics of your two with him!

I think they'll adjust easily. He might pout for a bit- Mr. Butters likes to pout when he has to go to my parents' house when we go on vacation, but they can't pout forever.
    Tracy, Mr. Butters, Rigby, Ariana Marie & Isabella Charlotte

Thanks

Here he is!!! Cute huh!?

Karen - Proud Hoomom to Bella "Snooter" Boo & The Professor Buster Brown

Thanks

He's adorable!!! I think the prior meetings will help a lot. Try to acknowledge your pups first then Iceman last *sniff* *sniff* to prevent jealousy. To make things easier on Iceman, try to get his favorite blankie, toy and crate (-if crate trained). If Iceman's parents can give you a T-shirt that smells like them, that should help too.

It's just the little stuff that I'm sure you're already thinking of that can make a difference.

Oh, take Iceman for several walks around your block or area the first few days so he gets oriented to the local smells.

Pictures are manditory! :heartbt:

Thanks

I think that's an excellent idea of them meeting elsewhere and getting acquainted on a few visits. That way Snooter & The Professor will probably welcome him in their home.

I think you are already making Iceman feel comfortable by visits. When he is in your home I would treat him like you do your own. Although I would consider feeding them separately and be sure it's same attention for all. JMO
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Maybe have them meet elsewhere at first, but definitely have him come over to the house for visits as well. That way HE will not freak out when his mom leaves him. I did this with Po - we went to Hope's house to visit and a few weeks later he stayed for a few days and did just fine.

Jen Guest

Excellent advice given, and what a sweetie he is. Hope all goes smoothly and your two have fun playing with him!