Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default One month on home-made food

Well, a month has passed (as well as one meat grinder ) since I started cooking for the dogs. I've been experimenting with various foods and proportions, using the "Switching to Raw" book Courtney sent me (thank you Courtney!!!) and another one I got on ebay- the "Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats" for guidance. I am still cooking it all but use the raw book as a guide as to percentages of meat/veggies etc.
    What seems to be best is a mix of 75% meat (I vary between chicken and beef and turkey. I should use more organ meat...gotta work on that) and then 25% mix of brown rice and veggies and also add human grade bone meal. I grind it all, even the rice, as it seems to go right through Owen (he doesn't chew) if I don't. Carrots and zuchinni seem to be the best veggies so far..Laika tends to have trouble with beans and spinach and sweet potato is good but not daily. I tried some apple too. They also get one meal of mackeral once or twice a week. I mix in salmon oil and yogurt in the mornings with their cooked food mix.
    Also working out how much they should eat...I started with 1/4 cup like the dog food but they seem a bit thin maybe...well the Weens do-Salsa seems the same or even a bit pudgier. Weird. I've been giving a small extra meal to the Weens at night to see if I can get a bit of weight on Owen. People say he looks good but maybe he's a bit on the thin side...I dunno. I should take some pictures I guess and see what you guys think. It's harder to tell with Laika cuz of the hair but she is definitely slim. I can feel her ribs easily.
    The up side is the dogs really really love it. Owen is SO shiny and his coat is very soft and smooth. Laika seems shinier and softer too. Energy levels are good..maybe better than before, even, not sure. Poops are small and break down quickly into white stuff that disappears! Salsa is so excited at mealtimes she practically snorts her little round head off. In a weird way, I really LIKE making them a meal. Maybe cuz Rob isn't at home much and I don't cook for us anymore...
    The down side is that is kind of a pain to make all this food and I broke one grinder already. I ahve trouble making large enough amounts so I have to make it often. I envisioned myself making huge amounts and freezing it but so far dont' get more than 2-3 days ahead. I also followed the dogs around so much examining their poo that they got paranoid Their poop isn't consistantly any one way..sometimes it seems a bit mucusy and once in awhile soft, and then other times it is quite hard. I don't know if that is cuz they are adjusting or cuz they eat something different all the time. The book says variety is good though..
    I haven't kept track of the cost but have been buying the meat on sale mostly, veggies are cheap and so is rice. I am going through the bone meal quite quickly.
    That's my update. I'll take some pictures of Owen today..
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

This is really interesting, Amy!!! since I've switched Alex over to home cooking, she's gained weight!!!! (which is a problem with her achy joints). So am still adjusting...I'm thinking I've got too much rice happening...she's a real balancing act because cancer diets are supposed to be higher in protein and lower in carbs, but she also has chronic hepatitis, and liver diets need to be lower in protein

She's been getting 1/3 lb (cooked) turkey+1 1/4 c. rice+1 hard-boiled egg (which is making the house very stinky, thank you very much gassy tummy!!)+ 2 tbsp tomato sauce+multivit+calcium supp per day (broken into her 3 meals). Oh yes, and seasoning with dill and tumeric, cuz according to chinese medicine (re: Laura) they're good for getting the anti-cancer chi moving.

It is a bit of a pain to do it, since I don't have a freezer other than on top of my fridge, so can't really get more than 3 days ahead. The upside however, is that I'm starting to cook for myself on those days, and eating more healthily. (and gaining weight too :() So far so good with her tummy issues. I've been debating putting carrots and squash in too, but think I need to add things slowly so she can adjust ok. I might actually cook both and mash them and then cut back on the rice a bit...?

and she's :hearts: :hearts: it!! Although a bit perplexed at first, cuz she's actually having to chew her food
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Default F Y I

I just received The Whole Dog Journal today. It has Home-Prepared Diets Pt.2 (05/07. Pt. 1 (04/07) was in last month’s journal. You can mail in a request for both issues or down load them. They are both excellent articles including the supplements needed for a balanced diet.

Log onto whole-dog-journal.com/pub/backissues.html to purchase articles and immediately download them to your computer. It doesn’t give the fee.

If you want the back issues by mail let me know and I’ll post the fee and address etc.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

I also get the WDJ but the online edition, and can make .pdf files for you.

Amy - it sounds like the diet is going well!! But it sounds like a ton of work! The poop thing - I wouldn't worry. That is how it is on the raw diet too.

Paula - Any reason you can't do raw? Raw is not high-protein as raw meat is mostly water. It would be low-carb but also a *quality* source of protein, which would solve both of your problems. I understand the idea scares some people, but I think it may be great for your girl.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patt
    I just received The Whole Dog Journal today. It has Home-Prepared Diets Pt.2 (05/07. Pt. 1 (04/07) was in last month’s journal. You can mail in a request for both issues or down load them. They are both excellent articles including the supplements needed for a balanced diet.

Log onto whole-dog-journal.com/pub/backissues.html to purchase articles and immediately download them to your computer. It doesn’t give the fee.

If you want the back issues by mail let me know and I’ll post the fee and address etc.
    I just downloaded them and am quite disappointed... The sidebar files (pdf.)will not open and the main article is stuff I already got off the 'net anyway...
    Owell...that was a quick 20 dollars gone :(

and Segue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by areese
    I just downloaded them and am quite disappointed... The sidebar files (pdf.)will not open and the main article is stuff I already got off the 'net anyway...
    Owell...that was a quick 20 dollars gone :(
    OH NO, that's awful!!! I don't know anything about PDF files, maybe Courtney or someone else can help you.

Do you want to send for the Journals themselves?
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Amy, I have access to all of it - if there is something else you want, just let me know - sorry you spent the $! Or did you get the subscription? If you got the subscription, it is worth it. It's a great mag!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney
    Paula - Any reason you can't do raw? Raw is not high-protein as raw meat is mostly water. It would be low-carb but also a *quality* source of protein, which would solve both of your problems. I understand the idea scares some people, but I think it may be great for your girl.
    Yup, the whole idea scares me to death, esp. with all her various issues. We had in her balance for so long with the i/d and I'm not convinced yet that I'm not going to go back on it, because she did really well. I'll continue with this for a while and see how it goes. But I do appreciate the thought, Courtney!! I could maybe see myself trying the medallions at some point, but I've really learned not to mess with her food too much cuz the results ain't pretty!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Paula, I understand completely your issues with feeding raw with a dog with other health issues. If you decide to do it, going into it gradually would be a good idea. If you can find a holistic vet that would help you with the transition that would be great.

I have a friend here who had a schnauzer with severe pancreatitis. She had one bought that was so bad she almost died. She was one i/d or one of those prescription foods. Finally, my friend took her dog to my vet. It was pretty much a last resort thing. She didn't think the dog would live through another bought like the last one and I"m convinced she wouldn't have. Anyway, my vet looked at the food and told her that while it was bland and keeping her stomach a little calmer, there was absolutely no food value to it. She had her switch the dog gradually. First she did some kind of cooked ground meat or turkey (I can't remember) and rice and then she gradually switched her over to the raw chicken/turkey medallions.

Her dog has not had a severe bought of pancreatitis since about 2 months after starting the diet. She hardly ever has any digestional problems now and is doing great. Her energy level is up and she's losing a lot of her extra lbs! I think it's a great way to feed, but with an older dog with health problems I would go into it very gradually and preferably with the aid of a vet.

Pets to Miss Alex.

BTW, WDJ is a great resource. I took it for years and have all of the issues in a binder. I might look into taking the online version. Hmmmm. . . didn't know they had that. Thanks Courtney!
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney
    Amy, I have access to all of it - if there is something else you want, just let me know - sorry you spent the $! Or did you get the subscription? If you got the subscription, it is worth it. It's a great mag!
    I just paid for two articles-10 dollars an article. There was a button to push "download now" and I did and saved them and can open them but it is like one page and the links on the sidebar won't open. Way not worth the money just for that. I emailed customer service...I'll see what happens...

and Segue