Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Socializaton

Thanks

Default Socializaton

I was wondering if anyone might have any tips on this. Heidi seems to have some agression to other dogs. She really is a sweet and loving dog, and when she lived at the shelter, I was told she got along well with other dogs. However, anytime we are out for walkies and one or more of the neighbor's dogs are outside, we have to go the other way. I am so afraid of her biting another dog! Before I moved here, there were a couple other dogs in my old apt building...my next door neighbors got a boxer pup and she couldn't stand that dog...I had gotten into the habit of taking her leash off as soon as we walked into the building and she would run up the stairs and wait for me to open the door. One day, the neighbor was coming out w/ Izzie and he barely got into his house fast enough. Heidi did nip Izzie, but not very hard and the neighbor was really good about it. This year, my sister is bringing both of her dogs up for Christmas, and I have some concerns about it. Her Buddy generally reacts to dogs the same way Heidi does, but given some time to work it out, he ends up being ok. I refuse to board her over Christmas, and we can separate all the dogs if need be, but what can we do to help them get along? Buddy E hated my Buddy until my sister accidently let mine onto the porch where her's was playing. Buddy E had my Buddy pinned down by the throat, barking and growling in his ear. He never bit him and within a few minutes decided Buddy was ok and from then on they pretty much got along. My concern with doing something like that w/ Heidi is that Buddy E is handicapped and has a very bad lower back. Heidi is considerably bigger than him and I am so afraid of her hurting him. I just don't want ot have to bannish Heidi to the basement the entire weekend!!! I already told my sister that we will have to rotate dogs in the basement as it simply isn't fair to leave mine down there the whole time, and she agreed. I am really hoping that they can all get along but I am afraid to even bring Heidi near Buddy E or Mac for that matter. I also feel bad about this because I won't be able to take Heidi to any meet ups, as I would feel awful if she bit another dog...not to mention the liability. I want so badly for her to be able to get along with others!! I am afraid of taking her to a class for fear she'll bite. Any suggestions??
    Last edited by Fluffy; 12-02-2005 at 11:18 AM.
    Becca and always in my heart Heidi and Buddy

Thanks

I think you will find meetup (which I know you are now organizing) to be super helpful. They have helped Pogo tremendously.

I learned something very interesting (although I can't remember from who, so I can't give credit!). Small dogs usually go "after" bigger dogs..why? Because they are often (not always, but often) held up - so they think they are BIG dogs. You would think that when they are on the floor looking up that they would get it, but it doesn't seem so.

Plus, if you read the Dog Listener, I from what I interpreted, it's how Heidi might view herself in the pack...she is Alpha and it's her job to protect YOU. Does she walk in front of you? And pulls? You might need to some obedience work to reinforce your roll.

If they are on your turf this weekend, they should be fine. I think the more you separate them, the more stress it will have on the dogs. Maybe have an X-pen handy if they do need a time out.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Jen Guest

We have the same problem with Tasha and the dogs in our building. She go nuts if she sees/smells the Akita or the spaniel. The hair goes up on her back and she growls. I think she's defending the building, though she knows we're alpha, she's very defensive of "her" building--and block! And she just hates some dogs, including an elderly white shepherd. Other dogs she just ignores or runs from. Doxies and chihuahuas she's better with, and only one dog at a time.

I think an Xpen is a great idea, if Heidi reacts badly to the guest dogs. They will be invading her turf....

Thanks

Unfortunately, we will not be on Heidi's turf, all though I am sure she still considers Grandma and Pa's house to be her turf also. She is DEFINATELY the alpha in our household, as Buddy E is the alpha in his. I am very leary of taking Heidi to the first meet-up, even though Amy said she is more than willing to try to help the problem. I would feel just HORRILBE if she bit Cricket or Weenie!! Yes, she walks in front of me, but she is not much of a "puller." When I had Buddy in obedience, I would come home and train with Heidi as well. I might need to look into some one on one classes for Heidi to help correct the problem. Thanks for the advice Lisa!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

ITA with Lisa. Some obedience work is in order. You might also want to read Leader of the Pack. It has a lot of info about pack order and as I remember some exercises to do to establish yourself as leader with everyone else lower. I had some of the same problems with Miller. Taking him to Meetups helped him a lot. It also helped him with his socialization towards people. I would explain when I got there that he had issues and most people were very helpful. Be sure to take treats with you and if Heidi acts out call her to you and get her to sit or whatever she can do and then give her a treat. It changes her focus and rewards her for behaving. This has worked really well with Miller. We had 30 people at our house for a BBQ. I was very concerned because Miller easily becomes overwhelmed. When he started to bark at one guy, I grabbed a piece of cheese, called him to me (I worked with him a lot and he has excellent name recognition), made him sit and gave him a treat and some loves and he was okay.

If you do take her to obedience, be sure and tell the instructor about her problems. When I took Miller I showed up early the first night and explained to the instructor what Miller's problems were and she was very helpful through the whole course.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Good suggestions given. I agree with an x-pen or a gate keeping her in another area would be good (not the basement). You'll have to work on your "leader role" a bit more but I don't know if you can accomplish that before your visit. Please make sure she walks beside or behind you, never in front, you already know about the door and feeding etc. Good Luck.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

I am going thru the exact same thing with Sophie! :faint:

She believes that SHE is the Alpha and it is her job to protect me.

I have been taking her to Training School on Tuesday nights. She has an aggression towards Big Dogs too. She is good at class and has learned to adjust with the Big Guys being around. She only lunged at Little Addie. Sorry Addie:hearts:

She does walk ahead of me, pulls slightly and the biggest Problem ~and it is not hers~ I allow her sleep with me! They both sleep with me. Casey knows he is not the Alpha in the home.

I have been feeding Casey first, letting him out the door first, Putting his leash on first. More or less everything first. But, I feel that I may be confusing him and asking him to assume the Alpha roll. :confused:

I need to take over the Alpha Roll in the house!!!!!!

My husband is not permitted to kiss me or touch me while Sophie is on my lap or near me. She has lunged at him many times, barked and snapped. I place her on the floor and ignore her. I don't even know if I am winning the Alpha battle.

I would suggest placing Heidi in an X pen or gate her in a room where she can still see you.

OR

When she starts to bark or get aggressive call her over to you and give her a treat. In other words take her away from what is causing her to bark or be aggressive. Divert her attention to something else that is pleasant.

I hope I was somewhat helpful. I think I just confused myself!!!!:rofl:

Thanks

Great advice already given. Not to overwhelm you with reading, but "Fiesty Fido" by Patricia Connell is a great booklet too.

We really had to go out of our way to socialize Pokey in the suburbs. He would get a little fiesty with his arch-nemisis nextdoor. Now that we are in the city we have access to dog parks and dog day care. Just a few visits really turned him around. Maintaining all of the little pack order cues has helped tremendously.

If we see a potential problem coming down the sidewalk we do a "sit-stay" (off to the side) with a visable treat. It's a slow process, but worth every second! I didn't mean to make it sound like an overnight success story!

(Pokey does like fiesty reds, and Miss You Know Who hasn't written in a long time...) ;)
    Adopt a Senior!

-Renée and Pokey (1992-2008)

Thanks

There is a book called "The other End of the Leash" that is really good. You can get it on Amazon used and in good condition.

Basically, we, as humans, transmit through that lead how we want our dog to behave. If you KNOW that Heidi has issues and when you see a big dog coming and then turn away cuz you're scared/nervous/anxious...you are transmitting that down the lead to her. She is starting to believe that she is protecting you as YOU are afraid...not that SHE has an issue. Make sense?

Any dog, big or small, that would lunge at another human while getting some lovin' would get verbally clocked and a time out given. Oh, and seriously reprimanded....Tiggermiss (sorry, can't remember your name ). Do not give Sophie the opprotunity to get aggessive with your hubby. Have a squirt gun or shake can handly and love away...when Sophie gets cranky, zap her with water or shake the can and say sternly "No, Sophie. No, Bark!"(or whatever command you choose). She should get the hint in one or two tries.

For sleeping in bed....Many do and have no problem. But if there are dominace issues outside the bedroom..nope, sleep on the floor or in your crate. If they do sleep with you, they are NOT allowed above your waist. Any place above that point is going into alpha territory....esp. around the neck and head.

Becca...Have the dogs meet on neutral territory...down the block or something (where you do not normally go at all) and be ready to correct Miss Heidi for lunging. When they can meet nose to nose, then bring them in.

Sorry again that this is so long.....I'm a training junkie :banana:
    mary, isobel, L J, sara peanut "butters", noah (all lh red-ish dachsies); quincy and sophie (pit bulls); duncan (lab/shep/chow); kasey (aussie shep/collie) and maia: aka...Po (mastiff)

Thanks

Thanks for the info Mary!! I will definately try your suggestion about meeting down the block and will let Cara know that's the plan of attack. Its not so much Heidi I'm worried about when it comes to the big meeting, its Cara's Buddy...and when he starts, it will set Heidi off. I'm more afraid of HIm biting HER and her retaliating than anything b/c he is our little cripple and I am SO afraid of her hurting his back. When we went to get her boots at Pestmart last week, she was FINE with all the little dogs (except for the one who snuck up on her from behind when I had my back turned, but that was about two woofs and seh was done). She was even playing w/ a little puff ball (I think a pomerainan). I think she will get along with Noodle just fine, as they both tend to want to be left alone but both have little brother Buddy's who won't let them It should be interesting to say the least, and I will be sure to post and give an update on how it went!