Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default my first attempt

Here is my first attempt at sewing a harness. I need to get some more stuff, but I thought it wasnt too bad, Jake is not really thrilled but in his rescue it was really hot and humid here. If anyone has tips on how to do it better I welcome them with openarms and ears. I am a very beginer sewer.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [I]Brooke & Barkly Ween angel pups Jake an Oscar♡

Thanks

I think it looks GREAT!! Very nice job, esp for your first try!!

Thanks

Oh also Jake a year ago was 20lbs and now is 16lbs!:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: And he is still on a diet as I want to get him down to 10-12lbs depending on how it looks on him. I am so proud of me and him. And hubby a bit for not feeding him! I had our vet write DH a note saying you are killing him with love from excessive food. Stop or he will die. It seems to have worked. Go chub man I loves me some Jake!

Thanks

It looks good! Over time each one gets easier and better. I've made them for over a year now (I'll never be Irma though) but they have improved over time. Not to mention I trust myself more now as well. I recently saw one of my first ones...and was like OH MY, they've come along way. Only recently did I begin to sew them inside out, and I do like that way better, seems to be faster.

I'm getting ready to start on leash pouches...got everything I need but the courage to start the first one.

"It doesn't matter where you go in life, it's the doxies you have beside you!"
    Nicole, Mom of the Doxie Duo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

It looks good! :banana: :banana: You might want to use some purchases bias tape on the edges so they look more finished. You can zig zag it on so that you don't have to worry about edge stitching and getting it straight. Also, on the hug a dox, they put the strip with the D-ring for the leash all the way from the top to the bottom. That way it's stitched under the bias. Looks more finished and is another way to secure it so that it doesn't come loose.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I was going to mention you forgot your d-ring. It goes on before you sew the second part close.

Here is the first one I made.

This one I made for someone in Canada---Januet

Petunia's its like a coat

Gunner has a matching one but its not as long.

For Gunner

Petunia's Valentine one.

4th of July Gunner's.

Petunia's

This is probably the prettiest one I ever made--the most time consuming one.

Unfinished skirt that goes with the above. I made this for little Cami on the board.

Hope you can get some ideas from these. Keep it simple I think you did good--don't give up-they get better.
    Last edited by LUVMYGUNNER; 08-24-2007 at 11:28 PM.
    Mom to Gunner and Petunia.
    Always in out hearts--Sir Cedric Waggles-bassett hound

Thanks

Christmas ones.

Camoe for Peunia.

Another Valentine for Petunia

Gunners new Valentine.

Thanks

So is the solid color trim the bias tape? And where do you find the d rings to add? All of those are great! You obviously knew how to sew before you started didnt you?.
    I am having a hard time going around the curves, but I am sure the more practice I get the better I will be!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

You will get better with practice, Brooke. Curves are very hard at first. The solid edge is the bias tape. You can buy pre-folded bias at Hancock Fabrics or Joann's or any hobby or craft store that carries fabric. You can also get the D-rings there. The pre-folded tape is easy to use it's already folded in place and you just slip your fabric in between and stitch it on! :banana: :banana:
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

You can also get the extra wide bias tape and D-rings at Walmart. I buy most of my stuff there.
    In between the layers use a light to med iron on pellon, also bought at Walmart. I would take an inch of the pattern around the neck. It looks a little to wide.
    I have been sewing for 40 years. You have to start somewhere, I think you did great on your first try.